Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw a pic this past week of one of the members barrels and had to paint mine similar. This is one of my lightweight hunting rigs. Gun shoots in the .200's with Wolf MT at 50yds.

1) VQ THM barrel - black/silver zebra paint job
2) VQ extractor, hammer, sear
3) CPC worked bolt
4) stock polished cocking lever and rod
5) VQ firing pin
6) Weapon kraft urethan buffer
7) Hogue OM stock
8) Leupold medium vertical rings
9) Simmons 44mag scope - 6.5-20x44, mil-dot reticle
10) Sanford 50rnd drum mag

Squirrel season starts in another week and a half. My dog and I will punish them with this rig.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
DOGMAN said:
You should do the stock in a Zebra scheme....So can you tell us the painting process for the barrel? Do you remember who else had a Zebra painted 10/22...?
I think my 77/17 was RebelSquirrel's inspiration. On the VQ THM barrel, I lightly sanded the powder coated area (for texture). Then I taped the pattern and used standard spray paint with a matte coat at the end. These barrels don't generate enough heat to warrant high-temp paint.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
gsonnenmd

gsonnenmd, that 17 of yours is a sweetheart! I saw this pic of his gun earlier this week and couldn't sleep think about doing one of mine. Still thinking of getting a THM for my 17 and doing one like yours only with black and a dark green that would match the dark green in the Ruger laminate stock (see what you've started!)

I taped up my barrel with painters tape then drew my zebra stripes with a pen..... then cut them out with an exacto knife. Painted 3 coats of flat black, let dry. Removed all the tape, gave it 3 coats of matte clear over the entire sleeve to smooth it all out. The powder coating on the sleeve can take up to 300 degrees (which is whats underneath my paint job). Don't think I'm brave enough to try painting stocks, will leave that to Tuck.

Sanford drum mag was made years ago, no longer manufactured. I bought this one last year new and unused in the box here on the forum from a guy in Canada for $75 (a steal!). Once in awhile I see them at gun shows for $150 - $200 used. Mine feeds copper jacketed bullets flawlessly. Wax coated lead bullets will jam 2 rnds out of 50. I was hoping that Beta-C would produce us one now for 10/22's now that the ban is off.... guess we will see. Or maybe Sanford will break out there old molds and start reproducing these ones again.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
you guys spend to much time and energy, If it is to sharp and perfect it doent look right. I just think backwards and ripe masking tape down the middle and use the rough side for the stripe edge. the roughness make it look nice. and you can do one in half the time. But I still like yours to.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Absolutely beautiful! Love the stocks colors together like a real tigers stripes. Thanks for the tip. I just had someone tell me they wanted to do a tiger stripe on their own newly started project. I will definitely share the wisdom you have imparted upon us. Again, a beautifully finished stock.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.