Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been shooting one of my CZ Specials that I installed a globe aperture front sight and a Williams receiver sight on. I used them because I already had them. They were taken off an Anshcutz I got rid of last year. The receiver sight will be ok for hunting probably, but the aperture is a little loose on the threads for my liking for serious target shooting. There is no name on the receiver sight, but I am sure it is a Williams because it is the spitting image of the Williams "Foolproof" in the Brownells catalogue. I am surprized with what I can do with front and rear apertures. It is bringing the fun back into shooting. My eyes are old and a sight with a front post is real fuzzy, but the aperture is easy to use and very accurate.

I have an Ultra Lux that I want to put a high quality set of aperture sights on. Does any one know which sights would be the best to use. easy to install is a consideration, but some machining by a gunsmith shop is expected. I want quality over ease of installation. I spend $350 for a scope, so why not spend as much for a good set of aperture sights if I have to? Accuracy would be increased if you could get the rear sight behind the bolt handle. That would probably take an extension bar bolted to the left side of the receiver. the Williams sight I have now is screwed down to the flat top of the dovetail right in front of the bolt handle. I just drilled and tapped two holes there.

Any help you guys could offer is appreciated. I did check previous threads on this subject. It seems there are some good comments about the Walther sight. Maybe some of you have had some experience with the Walther, or came across more information since those older threads.

Ronnie B. Weatherman
Middle Florida

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
EZ,

I am curious how you attached the front sight. I'd assume that you cut the barrel and then either cut a dovetail or just drilled and tapped the front for the globe sight. I am fiddling with a front sight that would use the existing front sight's dovetail but if I could buy something already made I would.

There are a few receiver sights made to fit the typical 22 dovetail. Williams makes one as does Beeman. Perhaps there are others. The main problem with them is that the sight is mounted on an "L" shaped rail that typically hits the stock before you get the sight down all the way. The Walther sight looked better in that it sits on top and does not run into the stock.

Could you post photos?

Brookie

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brookie,
The front globe sight is one that clamps to dovetail in the barrel with a single clamping screw. What I did was use the existing front ramp and clamp to the grooves that were for the hood. To do this I had to file down the width on both sides of the ramp and also grind down the top of the ramp. Additionally I had to file a round slot in the ramp for the clamping screw to pass through. There was not enough meat on the front sloping ramp to drill a through hole in. All this took about an hour and a half to two hours.
This put the center of the front aperture at about 1 1/4" above the center of the bore. this was high enough that the L shaped rail on the Receiver sight set at mid range was almost right on. Upon sighting in, the screw and L shaped rail did not contact the stock, so I did not have to cut out the stock. I have about 1/4" of verticle clearance. The rear aperture will never have to be dropped any lower since the rifle is dead on at 25 yards with that amount of clearance.

Ronnie

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.