Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Your Opinion: 617

1574 Views 22 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  Tacoma
I'm thinking about getting a 617. I'm not sure which barrel lenght, but definitely a six-shot. Aesthetics is a big factor with me. What is your opinion of the fit, finish, and looks of this gun? Do they generally shoot well?

Thanks

(You can probably tell that I have never owned a revolver before)
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
16,533 Posts

I've had a 6", 10-shot 617 for about a year now. I absolutely love it! I've been using .22 handguns for squirrel hunting for something like 25 years and this is the sweetest of the bunch I've owned! (Primarily Ruger Single Six's and Ruger Mark II's.)

Here's a link to a post I did here on the way I've set mine up.....

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90270&highlight=tuning+action

Buy & Enjoy!!

me!

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thanks, me. I appreciate the information.

Which gun is better to you, the 617 or the GP 100? I am not mechanically inclined, so I am hoping for something that will be good right out of the box.

Thanks

· Registered
612 Posts
The GP-100 is not available in .22 LR; the only DA Ruger revolver chambered for the .22 LR is the SP-101. That said, I much prefer the S&W revolvers to the Ruger revolvers. The M617 and its blued equivalent, the M17, are the class of the field.

I believe the older M17's and the pre-M17's (the K-22 Masterpieces) are the best revolvers for both aesthetics and shooting. With some careful shopping, you can find an older K-22 for about sixty percent of the price of a new M617.

· Registered
4,174 Posts
I have a 4" 6 shot 617 and a (customized) 6", 10 shot 617. Both are sweet revolvers. IMHO, the feel and ballance of the 4" is noticably superior to the 6". In the longer barrel lengths a unlugged mod 17 is the way to go. Fit and finish on all my S&W K-22's has been good. These are no exceptions. Accuracy on both ( and all my K-22's is VG-excellent.) Some just are more picky about ammo they like.

Lastly, I'll agree with Farscott and say you can save some significant $ if you buy used. However, it's my recient experience that lightly used 617's are about the same price as a equally nice 17. Figure on $350-$450 for either in 98%+ condition. BTW, if you want a 6 shot, 4" 617, you have to buy used ( as I did). S&W currently makes both lengths in 10 shot but only the 6" in 6.

Search 617 here for lots of past discussion.
Watch the gun auctions for deals.
hth

· Registered
560 Posts
I agree with what others have said. My 617 (10 shot) is actually a little smoother in single action than my 17. I think it may be because the 17 has not been shot that much! :D I bought the 17 last summer for $400 OTD from a local dealer. It's about 95-98%. I don't remember what the 617 cost, but it was more. Either should please!!

· Registered
16,533 Posts
Cloud-9,

I've been a huge fan of Rugers for the past 25 or so years. I've loved all that I've had - and I'd bet that's probably been a couple dozen of them.

Prior to this 617, I've only had two S&W's - both the Model 63 kit guns. Those were smallish and I had them more as "carry in the tackle box" or "fishing vest pocket" guns. I never took the time to tinker with them.

Now that I've had a chance to take a S&W apart and tinker with the insides..... I'd never buy another double-action by any other manufacturer! Like I've said, it just begs to be polished! And you're rewarded with silky smoothness!

The single-action trigger is lawyer-heavy from the factory. But with a bit of care....... :D

On the subject of barrel length..... Yes, The 4" does give a better balance than the 6". But if you're like me and enjoy plinking and hunting with open sights, the sight radius on the 6" is about 30% longer. That translates into better accuracy by the shooter. (The accuracy differences attributable to barrel length are negligible.)

· Registered
4,174 Posts
Did somebody say mod 63 kit gun?? Or did I here a LONG barrel was best?? :D

p.s. Have to agree with ME! on both accounts. The 6" is about as perfect a hunting gun as you'd like to carry (especially unlugged IMO) and S&W's do smoothen out with little effort ( or fireing.)
Still all of them have their place.

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I do plan to get a used one. I don't really like to mess with the mechanicals of guns, or anything for that matter. I'm not interested in tinkering with the trigger or anything of the sort. Will this gun require any kind of tinkering just to shoot well?

· Registered
4,174 Posts
As long as it is in good (used ) mechanical shape, it will likely shoot great with no tinkering. To learn how to check out a revolver for putchase go here:
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57816. It's less important on 22's as they are near i,posable to "shoot out". Still it's worth checking timing and cyl gap.

Triggers / actions get continually better after a few hundred trigger pulls. A few thousand is better yet. If it hasn't been shot much , consider getting some snap caps/dummy rounds /wall anchors and "dry fire" on them 1000 times some evening . ( Reruns of cop movies help here :)
FWIW, all the triggers on my K-22's are pretty good without the benifit of trigger work. I olny have one that has a trigger job. THat one breaks at 24 oz in SA .

· Registered
93 Posts
They run around 500.
I got one for the same reasons...fit, finish, asthetics, and it'll outshoot a lot of guns you'd pay even more for if you've got a steady hand. 6" barrel is nicest I think, 3lbs. which is heavy but you get used to it. I can still pop soda cans at 50 yards on a good day with it, and rumor is it'll group 1" at the same range. I don't doubt it myself, it's proved really accurate for me.

It'll also take the old wood grips, with just a small space in the back you'll need to fill with a bit of wood if it bugs you (I don't really mind).

Here's mine (mind the knife in the pic)

_z

· Registered
93 Posts
Thanks!
Hit up ebay for "S&W grips" or "wesson grips" you'll find a lot of stuff. They're the generic K/L frame "target" grips.
I just took my gun to the gunshop, tried on grips till I found what I liked for 20$, but ebay will have a great selection for about the same price.

If you're interested, that is.

_z

· Registered
16,533 Posts
Cloud-9.....

The 617 is a great shooter right out of the box! In my case, it's just like I said when I started that piece, "I like to take things apart!" :D

I'd strongly recommend the 10-shot; you'll find you go through 6 rounds mighty fast when plinking! :rolleyes:

Buy & Enjoy!
You'll have this handgun for life! :t

me!

· Registered
707 Posts
The 10 shots are great, with a .22, Id buy a 20 shot if they made one...its not like a regular revolver where you can throw another 6 in and fire, it takes time to load a .22. As for barrel length, your personal choice, I prefer the 4 inch for handling purposes. I find the 6 inch to be front heavy. When shot side by side, you cant tell which group came from which gun.

· Registered
813 Posts
Cloud-9,
Here is my early 6 shot 617 with factory S&W square butt combat grips. It's the bottom revolver, shown with my round butt 6 1/2" 610. You mentioned "aesthetics", the only thing prettier than these are walnut and blue steel.

Here is another picture of the 617 with my 18-2.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.