Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the two bullets that struck each other in midair on display at the Gettysburg Civil War Museum.
Or the funny old story of shooting a hole through the unsuspecting city slickers hat that is behind a tree! - (Ricocets the 22 bullet off a shovel to do it) :D

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I don't think I've ever really had a "freak shot". But I always wanted to make a video for "AFV" (America's Funniest Video's).
It would feature a spoof on target shooting. Kind of a news type documentary.
(News reporter standing next to guy in coonskin cap) "Today Dan Johnson will attempt to shoot a .22 calber bullet thru the hole in a Lifesaver candy from 100 yrds.
(Different Reprter downrange by the target) "That's right Cindy, Here we have the target.(Closeup of target) If Dan is successfull he's shoot THRU the Lifesaver without breaking it. A most incredable feat of marksmanship".
(Back to 1st reporter) "Here we have Dan making final preparations. (Guy in coonskin cap sprinkling dirt from his fingers to check the wind etc).
"He's ready to shoot now" (Whispering as we see Dan aim the rifle. Downrange we see other reporter standing several feet to side of target).
Dan fires the rifle and downrage we see the other reporter stagger and fall over.
"Aw shucks, looks like Dan missed. Join Us next time in 'NOT SO GREAT MOMENTS IN SPORTS'".

·
Registered
248 Posts
a few years ago my dad bought a 20 gauge semi. was having problems with it and thought he fixed it. didnt have any snap caps so we went in the yard and shot in the air. i went out in the yard a half hour later and there was a dead crow. i didnt think it could be possible so i checked it out. 1 pellet dead center in the bottom of its neck.

·
Registered
20,556 Posts
I had another cool shot just this spring. Saw a crow about 80 yards out in my back yard so I grabbed my 17 and shot it from the patio doors. Feathers flyin every where! As I went out to get it I thought it was a mighty big bird even for a crow. As I got closer it turned out there was another one directly behind it so close together that I didn't notice it. Talk about 2 birds with one stone :t .

·
Registered
445 Posts
Freaky? How about LUCKY?

The first shot out of my Ruger Mk II Slab Side was at a jack rabbit at 150 yards.

I was drivin' through the deer lease and spotted it out there in a clearing.

I used the mirror as a rest and allowed plenty for drop.

Bang!!

I didn't see any dust fly and the rabbit just sat there all hunched down.

I drove up slowly to get a closer shot and finally realized that it was dead. :eek:

Right between the eyes!

BW

·
Registered
872 Posts
Fatsrat, that would be funny. But instead of saying "aw shucks," say "oh, my God." It would really freak people out.........

In my long years of owning guns and rifles, I've had some that I would call "luck" shots, but the luckiest, you might say freakiest shot, was when I was showing my 12 yr old son my "expertise" with his Crossman pellet rifle......

We saw a dragon fly land on a barb wire fence about 40 feet away. I told my son, that I could hit the dragon fly and he laughed. I took aim, shot, and the dragon fly just dropped like a rock. We went to look at it, and to his amazement, and mine, the head of the fly was gone..........I gave him back the rifle and told him to practice, practice, practice....... :D

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I took an off hand pot shot at a starling that was bathing next to a pond at about 175 yds. The bullet drew a line in the water behind the bird, but the bird disapeared. I didn't think anything of it. An hour later, we went down to the pond to look for ground hogs and the starling was laying there with his throat blown out.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Last year I caught a big fox squirrel snoozin' on a limb in an oak about 50 yards around the hill from me. I couldn't get any closer without spooking it and I didn't have any where to take rest, so I tried a shot offhand and killed the squirrel. When I picked it up and looked at it the bullet had gone in one eyelid and out through the other one.
I also "barked" a squirrel many years ago with a 40 caliber muzzle loading rifle.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
BobbyWins said:
The first shot out of my Ruger Mk II Slab Side was at a jack rabbit at 150 yards.

I was drivin' through the deer lease and spotted it out there in a clearing.

I used the mirror as a rest and allowed plenty for drop.

Bang!!

I didn't see any dust fly and the rabbit just sat there all hunched down.

I drove up slowly to get a closer shot and finally realized that it was dead. :eek:

Right between the eyes!

BW
That reminds me of something that once happened. Back about 1984, a friend and I were road hunting rabbits after a snow storm had come thru. I had Ruger .22 semi auto pistol (MK1? Just the plain jane model). So we spot this rabbit on my buds side of the truck. He rolls down the window, lay the pistol across his arm and sights it like a rifle.
I SHOULD have caught what he was doing, but I didn't. He fired that pistol and started screaming G*%@ D#@* with his hands to his face. Blood was streaming down his shirt. That flat slab on the back of the slide had hit him right accross the brigde of and broke his nose. I had to retrieve my pistol from the road where he had dropped it out of the window. Then took him home. His wife later took him to the ER. Never did check to see if he hit the rabbit.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Back in the 70s when I was in High School I took a shot at a mud duck flying level about 3 feet off water about 250 yards with my Remington 788 22-250. Was not expecting to hit it. I aimed about a foot ahead of its head and a few+ inches high of its head. I hit it in the body and still remember the sound it made when it exploded into feathers over the water. Best part was 4 High School buddys seen it. They could not believe what they just seen they were speechless for about 30 seconds. Neither could I, but I did not tell them that.

·
Registered
222 Posts
ive got a few

My first one was about 7 yrs back wen i was 6 or 7 i was out shootin my bb gun with my dad and there was a little sparrow on the wire. i asked hif if i could shoot it and he said sure its too far but u can try. so i killed the thing from about 30 yards.

last year i mad 2 lucky shots one was when I was rabbit hunting with a henry .22 lever action. the rabbit took off running at about a 45 degree angle. i raised my rifle and shot. it skinned right along his spine and went through his head and out his eye. another was a pot shot at a rabbit out about 50 yards i shot him and he just flopped over. and i was usin open sights.

·
Premium Member
9,209 Posts
My first pronghorn hunt, 14 years old, (1954). My dad and my uncle took me. We found a nice buck standing about 250 yards away, I took a poke at him with my .270 and missed over him. He, of course, took off at full speed running at right angles to us. In frustration, I cranked off another shot from the hip and hit him square in the base of the neck, dropped him in a pile of dust!! For the rest of their lives, anytime the subject of hunting came up, both my dad and my uncle could be depended on to take off on a rant, grumbling about that shot. I thought it was pretty cool!!

·
Registered
668 Posts
i once hip shot a ground squirrel at 125 yards! i wasnt aiming for that one but my buddy saw it drop a second after the shot (we were doing crazy sh!t like that)...walked up to it and i hit it in the head! talk about luck!
-mwm

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
talk about freaky...

I got shot from behind by a 30-06 and never even felt it, til I was laying on the ground, then I had a terrible burning sensation...then I passed out...

HOWEVER, back when I was 7, I was plinking birds with a Rem single and was aiming at a meadowlark on the ground, then he flew, straight away from me, I raised the rifle and fired, he fell dead at about 25 yds...I just sat there for a few minutes trying to figure out HOW I did that...

Once sat a soda BOTTLE(glass) on top of a wooden fence post, so that the mouth was facing me, then shot at it using a COlt SAA in 45, the bullet went thru the mouth and blew the bottom out, this was about 30 feet...tried hundreds of times to duplicate that, never did...still have the old Colt and still shoot it once in a while...there were 10 guys with me and they thought I had "set them up"...LOL

1 - 20 of 148 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.