Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m sure this has been discussed. But times change. Some stuff is discontinued, new stuff made, changes made to long term options…..

Id like to know what else is out there. I’ll start first.
the bx25, I want to love…but I can’t. They just seem a little problematic. The 10 round rotary’s, pretty much no issues. But sometimes I want to burn through a bulk box and more rounds with less reloading allows that. My favorite mag used to be a ram line 50 round banana mag about the same size as a bx25. But it wore out because the lips are plastic. No longer available. Those disappeared long ago actually. Then a butler creek hot lips became my favorite. 25rds and steel lips. I order some a couple months ago and they now have plastic lips. Boo. They do work flawlessly for now tho. I came across a mag I never heard of at a local gun store. A champion 30rd. It’s a good bit shorter than the bx25 too. Read bad stuff about it before buying it, still did. I can fix stuff. And I did. It now runs just fine. Hopefully I can find more. But whatelse is out there?
Automotive lighting Jewellery Automotive exterior Electric blue Denim

Finger Gas Electronic device Electronic component Auto part

·
Premium Member
6,233 Posts
as far as I'm concerned there is only one magazine for the 10/22..well, 2 actually...the factory 10 round magazines

the clear ones are good, and I have lots of them since I like to dye them to match the rifles I put together, but the black ones are best as far as fitting in older stocks, and functionality

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I’m working on getting a build running, I usually use the 10 round to eliminate that variable. They are definitely the most reliable. But what about higher capacity mags. Choices there? Reliable choices. The butler creeks has been the best for me so far.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess since I grew up mostly using single shot and bolt action repeating rifles with box magazines that never carried more than 7 rnds, I always found 10 rounds quite sufficient for my needs in the field, and I don't spend much time at a bench shooting paper..
Sometimes i just want to burn through some cheap ammo. No idea why....wild hair I guess lol

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
Guess I don't buy cheap ammo.

The only time I fully load a magazine is for USPSA, where several are pretty much required to make it thru a stage, although we drop them with rounds still in them.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guess I don't buy cheap ammo.

The only time I fully load a magazine is for USPSA, where several are pretty much required to make it thru a stage, although we drop them with rounds still in them.
Well I'm just a poor guy trying to have fun! The federal auto match 325rd boxes are $21 and walmart and they have plenty...I use them for testing new builds or repairs also.

·
Registered
109 Posts
10 rounders are usually enough for me. Lately I've been testing different brands of ammo in three different rifles that all use the Ruger 10 round rotary mags. 10/22, RAR 22, and a 96/22 lever gun. I shoot five round groups so these mags work best.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Well I'm just a poor guy trying to have fun! The federal auto match 325rd boxes are $21 and walmart and they have plenty...I use them for testing new builds or repairs also.
Wish our Walmart had .22lr ammo, for the past 10yrs might get some once a month and it's gone in a day.
I only use the factory 10 rounds mags, I have 2 rifles use them a Christensen Ranger and Ruger Precision, don't have a 10/22. The BX25 look weird hanging out of a bolt
gun. I do have a 5 round mag I use when shooting groups.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wish our Walmart had .22lr ammo, for the past 10yrs might get some once a month and it's gone in a day.
I only use the factory 10 rounds mags, I have 2 rifles use them a Christensen Ranger and Ruger Precision, don't have a 10/22. The BX25 look weird hanging out of a bolt
gun. I do have a 5 round mag I use when shooting groups.
Where do you live? The automatch just went up to $21 a box for 325, up from $18. If you go on federals website you can order them for a shocking $30 plus $12 shipping. My walmart has:
auto match
cci standard velocity
cci mini mag
winchester HV (100rd translucent red box)
Winchester power point
and I think golden bullets...i think

plenty of 12 ga shells but went up $10 a box from 6 months ago.

·
Registered
283 Posts
when I started looking at rim fire Steel Challenge, I put together a BRN22 receiver in a PMACA chassis with Ruger bolt, charging handle, BX trigger group... OK not factory... I had 4, 10 round rotary mags left over from a Sportsman's Team Challenge 10/22 from the mid to late 90s... black rotors... I ordered 6 new Ruger mags, red rotors... I never had a problem with the black rotor mags, but the red rotors were not 100%... when I measured them fore to aft (not the axle) the black rotor mags were withing .005"... the red rotor mag .015"....since the feed ramp and ejector are on the metal mag lips, I perceive this was causing the less than 100% reliability that I expected...as far as high capacity, I had a Charger for a while that came with 15 round mag that was 100% for the relatively short test period.... for a car gun proof of concept build, it was equipped with an AR buffer tube with rubber end cap in a PMACA chassis, and used with a 25 round Ruger mag with the sectioned cartridge case bearing upgrade...still not 100%.... ended that project... regards...I shoot a CMMG B collar conversion for a 9" CMMG barrel upper for my SBR and Black Dog stainless lip magazines.... ammo for the 10/22 and Charger was CCI Blazer.... the CMMG unit runs on SV

·
Registered
143 Posts
Where do you live? The automatch just went up to $21 a box for 325, up from $18. If you go on federals website you can order them for a shocking $30 plus $12 shipping. My walmart has:
auto match
cci standard velocity
cci mini mag
winchester HV (100rd translucent red box)
Winchester power point
and I think golden bullets...i think

plenty of 12 ga shells but went up $10 a box from 6 months ago.
Clinton, They never even have more than 4-5 shotguns or rifles in the display case.

·
Registered
Standard, Mark I & II auto, Single-Six, and 10/22.
32 Posts
Ruger factory 10 rounders are still the best. I have the Ruger 25 round mags that I’ve cleaned up some, but they still don’t work as well as the original 10 mags.

Font Rectangle Automotive exterior Event Bumper

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
when I started looking at rim fire Steel Challenge, I put together a BRN22 receiver in a PMACA chassis with Ruger bolt, charging handle, BX trigger group... OK not factory... I had 4, 10 round rotary mags left over from a Sportsman's Team Challenge 10/22 from the mid to late 90s... black rotors... I ordered 6 new Ruger mags, red rotors... I never had a problem with the black rotor mags, but the red rotors were not 100%... when I measured them fore to aft (not the axle) the black rotor mags were withing .005"... the red rotor mag .015"....since the feed ramp and ejector are on the metal mag lips, I perceive this was causing the less than 100% reliability that I expected...as far as high capacity, I had a Charger for a while that came with 15 round mag that was 100% for the relatively short test period.... for a car gun proof of concept build, it was equipped with an AR buffer tube with rubber end cap in a PMACA chassis, and used with a 25 round Ruger mag with the sectioned cartridge case bearing upgrade...still not 100%.... ended that project... regards...I shoot a CMMG B collar conversion for a 9" CMMG barrel upper for my SBR and Black Dog stainless lip magazines.... ammo for the 10/22 and Charger was CCI Blazer.... the CMMG unit runs on SV
I have almost the same thing. Crappy brownells receiver. Modified ruger bolt. Jwh charge handle. 7” barrel. Pmaca chassis. Pistol brace on an ar15 buffer tube. Hogue rubber grip with a rubber spacer inbetween the trigger and grip to fill the gap. Bx25 mag. Crimson trace red dot. Shoots very nice.
For some reason the champion mag WILL NOT cycle at all in this gun but it runs perfect in my 3d printed receivers.
Air gun Trigger Machine gun Wood Gun barrel

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mississippi
You two hours from me. Next time you are in the Baton Rouge area, they have all you could buy here. I went to gulf shores a couple weeks ago and the Walmart there had plenty. But they were like $28 there. $21 here. Federal auto match. I find they shoot pretty dang good.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
There are a number of videos on YouTube with "fixes" for the Ruger BX25 mags.

My older BX25 benefitted from using a spent .22 casing as a bushing where the follower goes on the spring pin. The last one I bought Ruger had tightened this up and this wasn't needed.

There are also videos showing how to use tape or JB Weld to get the front to back slop out of the mags. This helps with feeding.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
There are a number of videos on YouTube with "fixes" for the Ruger BX25 mags.

My older BX25 benefitted from using a spent .22 casing as a bushing where the follower goes on the spring pin. The last one I bought Ruger had tightened this up and this wasn't needed.

There are also videos showing how to use tape or JB Weld to get the front to back slop out of the mags. This helps with feeding.
I did the casing mod long ago. I've lost track what guns have what, but some of mine have the heavy duty magazine plunger spring which removes the slop for the most part.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts