Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Your gun's favouite ammo

3468 Views 58 Replies 41 Participants Last post by  SD guy
I wonder if those of us who have tried various brands of 17 ammo were to reply giving the gun maker and type of ammo your gun shoots the best.

May be a pattern will emerge as to the best ammo for a particular gun maker and give valuable information to new shooters, those new to RFC and those that have only tried one brand.

So that the information can be easily seen and collated later reply as follows:

SAVAGE 93 GLV REMINGTON 17 ACCUTIP
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Ammo

I was very happy with federal V-Shok 17grms (the one with the black tip). I had cycling issues with the CCI TNT 17 grms, and was not very impressed with the Hornady .17 HMR Ammunition - 20-Gr. XTP....it kinds sliced through everything I shot it at, while the Federal blew the orange to bits!?

But until I see some cheap bulk ammo I'm sticking with Federal for now!

John

· Registered
53 Posts
My 917V will shoot all of the V-max 17gr rounds the same so I buy what is cheapest at the time. Wont group any of the CCI stuff at all (groups double or triple in size) Have not tried the 20gr stuff yet

I tend towards the Remington 17gr V-Max as they seem to perform better on small game, but that could just be me.

Clifford.

· Registered
6 Posts
2-Savage 93's - Hornaday 17gr v-max
20gr is not quiet as accurate! BUT!!! They do a # on turtles! :t

Hornaday all the Way! Until Winchester comes out with a Winchester Supreme 17 or 20 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip Ammo!

Please Winchester Here my Prayer!!! :angel:

· Registered
91 Posts
NEF Sportster - Winchester .17 HMR Supreme 17 gr. V-Max

Shoots the tightest groups so far. I'll have to see if I can dig out some targets for pics. Although, it might just be easier to go out and shoot more!! :t

· Registered
271 Posts
I have shot CCI,Federal Premium,Hornady,and Remington 17 Gr ammo in my Cooper 57 M LVT with a Burris 4.5-14 scope. The best five shot 100 Yd. group is 0.45 inches. with the Remington Premier 17 Gr. V-MAX B T bullet . I shot the rifle on a bench rest with sand bage rest front and rear on a quiet day. Hornady is not quite as good in my rifle but it cost less so I use for prairie dog shooting.

· Registered
1,454 Posts
At this time, Savage BVSS - Hornady VMax and Federal Vmax 17 gr. are neck and neck.
Marlin 917V likes the Hornady VMax 17 grs..

Average 5 shot 100 yard groups with each gun is 3/4".

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.