Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Your best target shooting ammo?

1465 26
Wanted to get a general idea of what everyone uses for target ammo.

I used some American Eagle ammo today at the range while trying to sight my scope and it really didn't turn out all that great. I shot from a bipod and held the gun with my shoulder. Did some shots at 25 yds and 50 yds but couldn't get a tight group at all.

My tightest group of 3 shots was about 1" apart/across.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Depends on what you are looking for. I have had good luck with Federal Auto Match for a bulk pack ammo and Wolf or SK match for a mid priced target ammo. Eley Pistol match has done very good in several of my rifles. I tend to shy away from the $12 a box and up stuff because I might fall in love with the stuff and I cant afford it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well im just wanting some opinions on other stuff to use so that i can buy a small amount of it and try it out when i go to the range next time to make sure it wasn't my ammo just being inaccurate.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Wanted to get a general idea of what everyone uses for target ammo.

I used some American Eagle ammo today at the range while trying to sight my scope and it really didn't turn out all that great. I shot from a bipod and held the gun with my shoulder. Did some shots at 25 yds and 50 yds but couldn't get a tight group at all.

My tightest group of 3 shots was about 1" apart/across.
For a reasonable cost, you may want to try CCI Standard Velocity. If you can't get better than 1" with it at 25 yards, I would start to look at the gun, or in the mirror ;) .

With cost no object, the top 3 target ammo is likely Eley Tenex, Lapua Midas, and RWS R-50. Lapua Master is also very close to Midas.

Ron

·
Registered
163 Posts
Lapua Midas has shot the best out of my Weatherby. Master is a close second, close enough and enough of a price difference to make it my personal choice. The Henry and Fieldmaster don't perform well enough to deserve a special diet so they get leftovers:)

Goat

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
RWS R50 does it for me too, but I mainly use RWS Target, RWS Subsonics, Wolf MT, SK Standard Plus, and PMC Moderators. Bulk ammo of any make is never consistent enough in any of my rifles to punch paper with. The exception is Fed. Auto Match in a semi custom 10/22.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I like CCI Green Tag, for a somewhat pricier ammo and good results. As others have said, I don't care to spend $12 for 50 rounds of .22.

A lot of friends have good results with Wolf ammo; I'm going to try it. The price is right.

·
Registered
130 Posts
New(er) rifle shooter here, with (very) little skill....

I was able to find some RWS 50 and RWS Subsonic locally. 50's cost hella money for a box, and Subsonic was only six bucks. Out of a new gun, the Subsonic had a few failure to feeds & ejects, while the more expensive 50's were reliable every round. They seemed to print in the same area, but maybe the Subsonics had what might be a bit of a flyer (save for the loose nut behind the trigger). The gun & action is broken-in, and BOTH shoot reliably now.....

Out of 20 different kinds of readily available consumer grade 'affordable' ammo, my gun liked the CCI Standard best ; I've since ordered a brick of the stuff so I can set to learning how to shoot.

I seemed also to have luck with some old Winchester Super-X I had laying around. By the way, the Eagle stuff was NOT among the ammo my rifle shot worst.

·
Registered
8,831 Posts
For the cost, Wolf Match Target or SK Standard Plus work very well in my rifles (10/22s & CZ 452) and Ruger Mark III 22/45 & Mark II Competition Target pistols. I have tried various Eley and RWS ammos with excellent results but can't afford or justify the cost with my budget.

For fun plinking, practice and decent groups, Federal 714, Federal AM22 and American Eagles do just fine for me.

Consistent accuracy with any rimfire depends on several variables, IMO:
1. All my 10/22 have several mods (GM barrels, trigger work, reworked bolts, etc). My CZ has only a Brooks trigger kit installed as the factory barrel was a shooter out of the box. My Ruger Mark III & Mark II pistols have VQ sears and triggers. Good triggers and barrel chambers help a lot.
2. Each rifle or pistol has its own ammo preference - Had to test a lot of different ammos to find each ones preference.
3. Last but not least is the most critical variable of all - The nut behind the trigger has got to do their part! :D Practice, practice, practice.

Good luck and remember to have fun!

·
Registered
8,058 Posts
what kind of gun are you shooting? a stock 10/22? you may shoot all the ammo in the world and never do better than that. sorry.

for target ammo i use Lapua master in my ARA gun.
Wolf MT for testing re-worked barrels.
Federal 510 for general fun stuff.

all are accurate and reliable in my guns.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
what kind of gun are you shooting? a stock 10/22? you may shoot all the ammo in the world and never do better than that. sorry.

for target ammo i use Lapua master in my ARA gun.
Wolf MT for testing re-worked barrels.
Federal 510 for general fun stuff.

all are accurate and reliable in my guns.
yes it's stock right now, i plan on doing some upgrades to the trigger and such, but i dont think ill be getting a different barrel right now.

i think ill try out the federal auto match next time, its about $14 for 325 rounds at wal-mart and i'll see how that goes, i think next time ill move it up to 100 yards and see what i can do

·
Registered
8,058 Posts
either a replacment barrel or re-working the one you have will get you a lot of accuracy. i wont even waste ammo on a stock 10/22 barrel. like a lot of folks on here only accurate barrels are interesting to me. i dont plink. i only shoot groups, hunt, pest control, and compeate. the Sil. shooting (which i suck at)is as close i get to plinking.

·
34,843 Posts
Depends on what I am shooting for:

Plinking: Fed Champion 510, Fed American Eagle AE5022 (both 40 gr lead)

Precision Plinking:rolleyes: : Fed AutoMatch AM22

Hunting: Fed American Eagle AE22 38 gr HP (I do not hunt anymore)

Target shooting: SK Standard Plus or Wolf Match Target (same ammo, different box)

VERY serious target shooting: Eley EPS Semi auto

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well if it's a barrel that must be had for greater accuracy than the only stock im really interested in so far other than he RB Evolution is this one....

I found it on hawktecharms.com. Does anyone know anything about it or other places to buy? I'm not even sure but it looks synthetic to me, and not sure what barrel size it would take.

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
Tim, the stock 10/22 with standard barrel will rarely shoot well out of the box. I bought one for my son back in the late 1970's and it was horrible! Hard rough trigger, mag screw was overly tight from the factory and wouldn't feed and when I did get it to work the accuracy was awful.

Long story shortened: A few years back I bought a Green Mountain barrel and Boyd stock. I added an extended mag release and worked on the trigger & sear. A Leupold mount/rings and a decent scope and now it's very accurate.

Sadly, many 10/22's must be modified for them to shoot well and yours sounds like it's going to need some work before you're satisfied. Good ammo is only part of the equation.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.