Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

You BRNO guys...

971 23
I read something today that made me think of you guys:

Sam Fadala said:
Shooters are different. Golfers admire antique clubs. But they don't use them. Fisherman collect 19th century tackle. But their poles are graced with state of the art reels. Shooters, on the other hand, not only admire guns of the past. They use them. A lot.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Great quote. And yes this forum is special. I have collected, shot, and hunted with various .22 rifles for a few decades as well. Prior to the "world wide web" and the "information super highway" it could take years to learn what can be gleaned here in days. Having contributed to 2 reference books on European .22's of various makers (mostly german) and networked world wide with other serious students of the types, I can't help but marvel at the advantages of this media.

Also Kudos to the diversity, open mindedness of the users here. Many shooters or collectors become so opinionated they can't see the forest for the trees. Not so here. We have shooters, collectors, historians, and very serious researchers. My hats off to 33 WCF, TOU, Mauser410b, J. Guerra GMD1950,just to name a few. Sometimes, I think you have to be past the half century mark and running on less than half a tank to fully appreciate this development. But having said that, I will also say that some of the younger users contribute much as well. I never met a man (or women) that had not been somewhere, done something, learned something that I had not, and learning from that individual could always broaden my knowledge and appreciate for some subject.

Flowers to all of you. Good Collecting!!!! (And shooting)

·
Registered
13,167 Posts
Mr. Fadala is definitely on to something there.

That is good observation, firearm enthusiasts (i.e. gun nuts :) ) having a passion for our 'tools' that many others don't have for their. Whether it be improving them by replacing parts or learning their historical happenstances, the firearm we shoot is just as important as the 'game' we play with it.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Well said Mauser!
-"I never met a man (or women) that had not been somewhere, done something, learned something that I had not, and learning from that individual could always broaden my knowledge and appreciate for some subject."

I too am in the second half of a century and regularly need to sit back and smile at the immensity of knowledge that is available to us via the internet.

And I too take pleasure in shooting my vintage guns. I'm no collector but I love old guns. They are, after all, a tool. If they won't shoot they move on to someone with more room and more money.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Hi All,

Well I can certainly associate with this having some "old guns" that I shoot when I can. That's only because of the stupid restrictions applied by our local police that says I can only shoot some of my guns. Until this I used to take them all out occasionally. Have a good load that seems to duplicate the original factory loading in my Mannlicher Mdl 1892 dated 1893. Like I would like to shoot my DWM M93 Special Sporting rifle from about 1897 but that also is on the collection only list.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Hi guys,
There is of course a couple of simple facts when it comes to Brno rimfires, the greatest advance in the last forty-fifty years in the rimfire game is ammunition. Fullstop. The Brno's were built with good steel in the barrels and top workmanship throughout. A rimfire barrel tends to shoot in for a large number of rounds and with modern ammo an awful lot more before it will lose any appreciable accuracy. So long as there is no cleaning rod damage in the muzzle or rust in the bore there is every chance your fifty year old Brno will have the same accuracy potential as a new in the box rimfire sporter of today, except it will be better made and carry a heap of nostalgia, cheers, Paul

·
Premium Member
58,007 Posts
You BRNO guys...
I read something today that made me think of you guys:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Fadala, Guns Magazine, Feb 2004
Shooters are different. Golfers admire antique clubs. But they don't use them. Fisherman collect 19th century tackle. But their poles are graced with state of the art reels. Shooters, on the other hand, not only admire guns of the past. They use them. A lot.

I'd say Mr. Fadala hit the old nail on the head, I have a couple of arms that pre-date me by several decades and they all get shot, fairly regularly.

Gerald

·
Premium Member
58,007 Posts
The Smithsonian can sometimes help or a museum or two may have some surplus from their collections.....:rolleyes: And I know some Engineers who're even older than me who could help out.:D

·
Premium Member
3,081 Posts
Using my 58 year old Brno and out shooting my mates with their newish rifles just makes me feel good!;) Aaahhhh! I'm turning into a philosopher :eek:
Philosophizing is another sure sign of age. :eek: Apologies. Too much slagging on each other about age here. :)

The oldest rifle I have is a Winchester Model 1890 which was my great grandfather's. I still shoot it even though I've got more accurate tools in the shed. My daughter has taken a keen interest in the Winchester (which has me thrilled although I'm not letting on to that). Here she is:

My "oldest" Brno is en route to me now, and should arrive tomorrow... I'll post a pic of that too.

·
Banned
42 Posts
I've always disliked Brnos, mainly because everyone here raves over them.
Can't stand them.

Mind you, I shoot next to a bloke with a Model 2, built like a brick outhouse, nice wood, 25" barrel I think, schnable (Sp). I keep looking at it. I can't look away. I think I want it. :eek:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.