Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Yet Another Scope Question

413 Views 5 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  Moorespeedr
I am not sure which way to go. I have read about both scopes, but am at a loss. I can't decide on which scope to buy...the Simmons 800116 (8-32x44) or that Tasco 10-40x50. I will be installing whichever one I buy on a 10/22 with all the goodies. I plan on usuing it 99% of the time for punching paper and other target type shooting. I have seen the Tascos running about $160-$180 on ebay, and the 800116 on Natchez for $144 (I will need a friend in another state to buy from Natchez since they don't ship to GA).
I have a Simmons WT Exp, and a couple of cheap Tascos,but I have never looked through either of these scopes (I mentioned above), and don't know what to do. HELP!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
700 Posts
I have several Simmons 44Mag scopes (M1047, M1048) and they are better good, bright, dependable scopes. I shoot them off a bench from 50 (RF) to 100 (CF) yards. They are clear and have the heavy reticle which some like, some dislike.

The cost of the 44Mags is close to what you want to spend; have you considered them?

· Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
44 mag

Yep, I did consider them. I have read so much about the 800116 that it went to the top of my list. I also want something with a ton of power. I realize what is lost when you go to a ton of power in a cheap scope, but i'm not ready to put a big boy ($$$) on there...yet. When shooting the USBR targets, I need lots o' power. hence the 8-32 or the 10-40.
Thanks for the input.:t

· Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tasco 10-40x50

Does anyone have any experience with one of these things?
I have a dealer that let me check out his catalog today...the wholesale price was $109, and he said he would charge me 10% over that. With a price like that, it sure makes those on ebay, going for $180 plus $10 for shipping look pricey.

Who has tried one?

· Registered
3,642 Posts
Warranty.....? ?

moorespeedr,

A question you should ask: Are these scopes made by the 'old' "Tasco", or by the 'new' "Tasco" under "Bushnell"...? ?

It is very important, as the 'old' "Tasco's" have NO Warranty...! ! :(

It doesn't matter what the box says, or what the dealer says, "Tasco" went bankrupt last summer, and ALL Warranties are null and void...! ! :mad:

Tasco [old]

Hope this helps....! ! :)

· Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey BigMike,

Thanks for that heads up on the warranty...very important! I was aware of Tasco's demise, and also took notice that the page on which the scope was listed was titled "Tasco/Bushnell." There were no scopes on that page that wore the Bushnell logo, only the Tasco moniker.
I am still wondering about the scope itself. Has any body used one?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.