Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Suppressors......

Is there a specific supperssor for bolt guns as opposed to semi-autos?

I ask because (my rambling thought) doesn't some gas escape from the breech when the semi cycles?

In a bolt, all of the gasses are expelled throught the barrel.

So...my thought is...the same suppressor would be louder on a bolt than on the semi. Is my thought right?

I am asking because I found a website that had an adjustable suppressor. I guess you turn a nut or something to go between a bolt gun and a semi auto.

So "how does it work"?

KillJoy

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
So...my thought is...the same suppressor would be louder on a bolt than on the semi. Is my thought right?
KillJoy,
if you stop and ponder just why a suppressor works:
Gas flow is disrupted, slowed, and cooled thus exiting at a lower velocity and volume with less noise.
Therefore more pressurised gas would further upset the gas flow causing the suppressor to be more efficent.
Studies have showed a higher efficency of sound reduction in handguns vs rifles when the same suppressor was used on each.
Clear as mud?
Take care,
warren

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Soooo...more pressure would mean more reduction?

KillJoy

PS - I have never seen someone actually shoot a gun w/ a suppressor, so I do not know how much quieter they are. Just the movies...and I am sure they are slightly exagerated.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
KillJoy,
the movies are fantasyland crap(but you knew that).
Soooo...more pressure would mean more reduction?
I was referring to the amount of sound reduction.
I've never had an spl meter when at the club with class3 owners, but I can say bullet impact noise exceeded action/firing noise by a good margin.
Expensive but addictive hobby ;)

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"Expensive but addictive hobby"

I will never know.:mad:

I live in Central Ohio.

No LEO will sign off on any Class III in my area. Unfortunately......my soon to be wife (May 3 @ 3PM:p ) will not let me move somewhere more friendly.:rolleyes:

Oh well.......life sucks for me....with these anyways...

KillJoy

·
Registered
374 Posts
Warren We're Drinking The Same Water Thank Gawd

Killman see how folks in your neck of the Ohio are getting LEO signoffs. Ask at www.subguns.com in the NFA Discussion Forum.

If you want PM me and I'll try to get you the skinny if you are really serious. Ohio is a MG,SBR,SBS,S State and if you are violated there are recourses.

John

·
Registered
49 Posts
All other factors being equal, a suppressor fired with a locked bolt will seem quieter than a cycled bolt. Bolt cycle and ejection port noise can be quite noticable.

Sound characteristics can be very different between two semi-autos of the same caliber. A Beretta 92 firing 147 grain ammo is quieter than a HK P7 firing the same ammo through the same can. The gas action on the P7 is louder and hotter because of the extra back pressure caused by can.

There are some combinations that are almost "movie quiet," but they usually rely on slide or bolt locks and "artifical environment" cans (suppressors packed with grease, shaving cream, water, or pee.)

It is intersting to go to mg shoots where several different suppressors can be tried and examined. The hobbiest guys usually sacrifice impact velocity for quietness. And they are quiet, but you can often watch the flight of the bullet. The other guys who make cans all day, every day, try harder to optimize the velocity/noise balance.

It is ironic, though, when SWAT-type guys are asked what they need, many say they would rather have a very short suppressor with modest sound reduction. They are interested in minimizing the radius of their pivot space and need only enough sound reduction to keep their hearing during a bust. I expect we'll see some shorter, but less db reduction cans in the next year or so.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.