Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Yeah, another R22 thread.

3328 Views 32 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  phobos512
I could have posted in one of the other R22 threads, but I have a couple specific questions about the gun.

First off, I've heard from several people that it's very accurate even out to 100 yards, as in 1.5 MOA or under. Others are saying that this is false. Does it all depend on the shooter?

Next, I've read several things about it seeming somewhat unfinished. I don't mind a little tinkering, but I have a (very) limited amount of gunsmithing tools.

Lastly...does anyone know when the MP5 version will be released? I'm assuming it's just a change in the handguard and additional iron sights; is this correct? Will the price be higher than the standard R22? I know these are rather specific questions, but I figure this is as good a place as any to ask them. You seem like a very knowledgeable bunch.

Oh, and this is my first post. To tell a little about myself...I'm 16, recently became interested in firearms, although my dad's got a 77/22, a Marlin Model 60, and a Winchester Model 62A as far as rimfires go, and a Mosin Nagant M91/30 and Remington 700 VSF as far as centerfires go. I'm planning on working for him all summer in order to pay for the R22, so you can imagine why I'd have so many questions.

Thanks a lot,
Matt
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
251 Posts
First off, I've heard from several people that it's very accurate even out to 100 yards, as in 1.5 MOA or under. Others are saying that this is false. Does it all depend on the shooter?
Ask me again in about 3 weeks. A scoped rifle is generally more accurate than me, as a rule.

Next, I've read several things about it seeming somewhat unfinished. I don't mind a little tinkering, but I have a (very) limited amount of gunsmithing tools.
The 2nd generation rifles, which apparently are currently getting kinks and production worked out, should be incorporating everything learned from the 1st gen rifles. Likely fewer surprises. So far what everybody has are the 1st gen rifles.

· Registered
5,155 Posts
I've only had the chance to shoot mine at 100 yards once so far, but it seems capable of 1.5 MOA with ammo it likes. My best group had four in under an inch, but I don't know where the fifth shot went, unless it went exactly through one of the other holes--or perhaps I lined up on the wrong target for that one. :confused: My best 50 yard group was .348, and the AVERAGE of five 25 yard groups with CCI Minimags was .185. The gun will shoot.

Thomas of RA has been constantly experimenting with the gun, and getting all sorts of feedback and tips from the early users such as me. I have no doubt that by the time you get yours, he WILL have the gun sorted out. There's no reason for it not to be, ALL the guts are proven reliable technology (10/22 and AR-15).

Latest word on the MP5 stuff is sometime in the fall. I'm waiting for the iron sights myself, but NOT holding my breath. I'm glad I went ahead and got an early one and have been enjoying it with a scope. I like it a lot better than any 10/22 I could build for $400.

· Registered
8 Posts
Unfinshed? Haven't heard anything like that. Mine was one of the last Gen 1's.
About the only things I added was a MUCH needed VQ charging handle "I have big hands" and a VQ extractor, and replaced the grip. As far as if its a 1.5 MOA at 100, humm I'm heading to the farm today if Fed-ex will ever show the (*&(& up with some other stuff. I will put a target up just for you and see what I come out with.
Got my Steel targets in today as well so I'm REALLY stocked about that.
The trigger is taking some getting use to since in all my AR-15's and .22 I have JP setup. Even the JP spring kit won't work in the R22. Not that big of a deal but will just need to get use to it. LOVE the rifle btw. Thomas is a top notch guy to deal with as well. Per the MP5 version from what he told its going to be
more plastic than anything so thats really going to cut down weight. We shall see.

ym

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
kasudyo- That rule generally applies to me as well. I just don't have a steady enough hand...yet. With the results Snake45 has been getting, I'm sure this rifle will be the same way.

As for the problems being worked out, that's the answer I was hoping for. I won't be able to afford it for a while, so I guess by the time I can it will be reliable.

Regarding the MP5 version, I may choose the standard version instead. As much as I like the style of the MP5, I don't dislike the standard R22 by any stretch and to me heavy is always better, because I'm a benchrest kinda guy. Plus, heavy just feels stronger and more reliable. The iron sights, to be honest, I wanted just for aesthetic reasons. My eyes are so bad that I can barely hit a target at 75 yards with iron sights, much less get a grouping.

The trigger I'm not too worried about...remember, I've got a Mosin Nagant :D . I'm sure it will be better than that.

Snake45...you make me envious, of both the gun and the hi-caps. Here in CA they're a big no-no.

This is what I want my R22 to look like when I get a little more money:

· Registered
8 Posts
You know Snake. I just can't let you get away with showing off like that. I'm going to have to post pics too But not today.... Sunday or monday when I get back.
Oh and the R22 "wolf" version is complete. Will be testing range and groups tommorow.
Will be interesting to see what she does at 100.

OppLock,,,, PSG-1 grip sucks, Its wood and makes for a very sleepy handy.
If you must have a grip like that DPMS makes one out of rubber.

ym

· Registered
5,155 Posts
And remember, the thing is set up to take AR-15 pistol grips, NOT H&K. If you want it to feel more like an AR, any AR grip bolts right on. I like the G27 myself.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
kasudyo said:
You're also in CA? Where at?
I'm in Fallbrook, about an hour north of San Diego.

ym1: I'd probably end up getting the rubber one anyway, because the wood might clash a little with the color of the gun. If I decide I don't like the G27, I'll probably get a Hogue. In my experience with handgun grips they've been the best, bar none.

Snake45: Yeah, but I knew I had seen the PSG-1 AR15 grips before and found them at Model 1 Sales($45 wood, $40 plastic). However, I'll probably be satisfied with the G27 grips.

· Registered
5,155 Posts
OppLock, you might get it to LOOK like a PSG-1, but it will not FEEL like a PSG-1. PSG-1 weighs, what 19 pounds? R22 weighs 6.5 or about 8 with the heavy barrel.

R22 feels much like an old M16A1 in handling, except it is a bit more muzzle-heavy and butt light. The stock is actually an airsoft stock and the gun weighs virtually nothing behind the pistol grip. The hollow stock can be filled with foam, however (others have done this and I will eventually) and it would be possible to stick a long bolt or piece of metal as "rebar" in there before the foam goes in.

I'd like mine to eventually look like an HK 33/93 with iron sights, as I originally wanted it for offhand practice. But the thing is so accurate it seems a shame NOT to shoot it scoped from as stable a position as possible. Kinda like having an 800 HP Corvette and only using it to drive to work six blocks away. :D

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, chances are good that I'll never hold an actual PSG-1, so just imitating one in appearance is good enough for me. As for being muzzle-heavy...well, I've fired a .50 AR15 with a massive barrel...I'm sure a well balanced gun would be easier to handle, but I'm not terribly worried. Foam doesn't seem like it would make a huge difference with the weight, but I'm sure it would make it feel sturdier.

You've got me interested with the airsoft stock detail, though...do you happen to know who it's made by? If I could easily get a replacement then I could modify mine and not have to worry as much.

Thanks,
Matt

· Registered
8 Posts
Well got done with my testing of the R22.
I did testing from 50 -185 yards.

The 50's are really close groupings so really no point in posting those.
I will post pics of the 100 and 150 targets when I get home.
All shots where taken from the prone Bi-pod supported but no
sand bags or support under the grip etc. All and all its pretty
**** good for an out of the box rifle. Wind and heat were an issue
as well. 1 - 5 mile wind and mean temp was around 92F.
185 yard testing was on steel plates. The hold over just to get them there
was extreme to say the least. I ran out of EV adjustment so I'm going have to do something about that .) But surprisingly I could still tag the plates
out at the range. The plates are 12L/8W.
Ammo tested
Dyna-points
CCI-Mini Mags
Wolf Match.

No big suprise Wolf beat out the others. Whats even more surprising is
that both Dyna and Wolf are both subsonic. At the 150 point the Dyna's
had a hard time grouping.

I have about 1500 rounds now through my R22. I will tell you this GET a BC
autoloader. They work with eagle and Ramline mags just fine.
The best Mag in testing turn out to be the Ramline 30rd stacked mag.
I have 12 of the 10rd eagle mags and they do ok but for whatever reason
sometimes the bolt will hangup on the mag trying to load the next round.
That in turn tries to load the round in a 30 degree angle into the chamber.
Keep in mind though I still have the old mag catch.

I think thats it for now. Going to go clean the thing and go back out and shoot more plates hehe

ym

:Blasting_

· Registered
2 Posts
Here are a few pics of mine with accessories.

Standard stuff

This is an ACE Skeleton Stock. Not mounted yet but may be when I get my ACE PigNose adapter and drill two holes in the back of the receiver. Easy to do and really would expand the options for stocks.

Last but not least. The almighty UMP stock.

It is a modified G&G Armament Airsoft stock. It works well but is a very tight fit. Took a lot of work to get it on and solid. I would NOT recommend getting one and modding it. Save your money and wait for someone else to come up with one that fits (Hint to all you folks with CNC gear).

· Registered
2 Posts
Man, This rifle is going to be the death of my bank account! So many different things you can do with it. I have over 1500 rounds through mine and it is working great! Modding is getting interesting too. You could probably attach a S.I.R. type setup if you wanted. I keep forgetting it is just a .22! Here is another stock mod to go along with my others. I took off the G36/UMP style stock. It was a little too light.

I drilled and tapped two holes in the rear of the receiver to allow an ACE pig nose adapter or ACE folder. Here is my ACE folder and ACE AKFX stock.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
SPEEDTRIBE said:
Here are a few pics of mine with accessories.

Standard stuff

This is an ACE Skeleton Stock. Not mounted yet but may be when I get my ACE PigNose adapter and drill two holes in the back of the receiver. Easy to do and really would expand the options for stocks.

Last but not least. The almighty UMP stock.

It is a modified G&G Armament Airsoft stock. It works well but is a very tight fit. Took a lot of work to get it on and solid. I would NOT recommend getting one and modding it. Save your money and wait for someone else to come up with one that fits (Hint to all you folks with CNC gear).
Is that the NcStar Rubberized scope you've got on yours? If so, how do you like it? I've got a NcStar on my M91/30 and I'm satisfied with it, but others say the quality is horrible. Oh, and that UMP stock looks beautiful. I know you're saying it's not worth it, but...it might be, to me.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just thought I'd show you guys this as a teaser. It came from one of the members of Arfcom, but it's probably a pretty accurate representation of what the real MP5 style R22 should look like.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.