Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very interested in acquiring my first HS!! What is the difference in quality of the E.Hartford and Hamden made pistols?? Have a Trophy with 2 5" barrels and 2 mags afford to me @ $450!! It is a E. Hartford pistols. I neglected to say that I have a Smith 41 with a 5.5" EFS and 7 3/8 with muzzlebreak,but for sum reason these High Standards keep calling my name!! Thanks for all replies and advice!!

PackN:D :confused:

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
PackN - The main difference beteween the E. Hartford and Hamden is the finish. The barrels, and all the internal parts were all made by the same extrernal contractors for both the E. Hartford and Hamden guns and were assembled at the various High Standard factories. I believe that the barrels for the current TX High Standards are still made the same contractor as all of the older guns as well. $450 for a E. Hartford Trophy with one original magazine is a fair price. The second magazine (if it is and original and not an aftermarket) is worth about $50. The second barrel is worth about $100 plus or minus $25,depending on condition.

The easiest way to tell whether the magazines are originals is to look for the shell counter numbers 5 and 10 stamped on the right side of the magazine.

It appears to that the $450 is a good deal assuming that there is nothing wrong with the gun. Before you lay down your money check for the infamous "cracked frame". Remove the slide and look at the top of the rails where the right rear corner of the magazine well comes through the frame. If the recoil spring is weakened (weighs less than 5 pounds when fully compressed) then it is possible that the slide will beat up the frame and cause a crack in this area. It will appears as a small hairline crack starting at the right rear corner of the magazine well and proceeds through the rails and down into the area where the slide release lever lives. Pain in the butt to fix (about $150) if you can find anyone who will do it for you. The recoil spring will actually wear thin through use overtime and lose some of its strength. I replace mine every 20,000 rounds or so with a 6#spring available from Wollf.

I've got instructions on how to change the recoil spring, how to adjust the magazines for proper feeding, how to disassemble the rear sights, an owners manual and a few other things on my web-site. Go to http://users.adelphia.net/~jbarta click on the "other stuff" legend and browse around.

Be careful about answering the "call" from the High Standard - they are habit forming. Bet you can't own just one.

·
Registered
768 Posts
jaybar said:
Be careful about answering the "call" from the High Standard - they are habit forming. Bet you can't own just one.
Ain't that the truth!

Traded into a HS about a month ago and I sent the MO for a second today...:rolleyes:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.