Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two 25 round Butler Creek mags that have developed deposits of bullet lube inside. It is beginning to affect their reliability for the last 4 to 5 rounds in the mag. Is there any good way to clean them -- any solvents that will clean them but not destroy the spring and plastic in the mag?:confused:

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Best bet is a trash can :D ... just kiding. I do prefer the Ruger rotary mags myself but as far as cleaning the bullet lube out, try a thin rag wraped around a butter knife with toothpaste as the cleaner, then wash em with water and use an air compressor to dry em out. Seem to remember a friend doing it that way.

Dave Z.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had the same problem with mine. I got some Break-Free inc. powder blast and sprayed that inside of the mag with a straw, and it drained out of the bottom. Then I washed it out with water.
The only problem I had with this is that it left a white residue on the outside of the mag, similar to what super glue does on plastic.
I cant see any on the inside, but its prety dark in there.:D Otherwise it worked great. No more feed prblems.

BTW: I only did this once because of the residue it left, so I might have got lucky. Im not responsible if you trie it and the mag doesnt work at all. Just covering my backside.

·
Registered
506 Posts
sprayed gunscrubber in mine to clean it and boy did it clean it good. Ate the plastic and all. Ooops!
On the original packaging it says use soap and water. (noticed that on the new one I bought to replace it) :eek:

·
Registered
435 Posts
Agree with Chief on this one. When my Butler Creek Steel Lips mags were in their original bodies, the way I cleaned them was by using standard dishwashing soap. Deposit the soap thru the top, let it drain thru the bottom.

DO NOT USE GUN/BORESCRUBBER OR POWDERBLAST. YOU WILL KISS YOUR MAGS GOODBYE!!!

Sammy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.