Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
I bought a Heritage rough rider this week 148.00. Their is a YouTube video on drilling and tapping it for a Red Dot. Problem is darn guy does not reference the weaver number mount.
I am think it would be the same as for the Ruger wrangler Any one know the weaver mount a guy could use for a red Dot in these cheaper pistols ? Marty

·
Registered
54 Posts
My Wrangler has been to the range 4 times now, and I got down to serious business shooting twice after wondering what was wrong with is Wrangler? Basically, For bench shooting, I rest my wrists on sandbags while seated at my bench.
I have nothing good to report. The Wrangler scatters shots like a smooth bore .22.

Before coming here, I read accuracy reports written in the American Rifleman and Guns and Ammo. The Rifleman claims all groups were under 3" and Guns & Sandwitches claims 1.5-2.25" groups.

Does Ruger pay these liars directly, or is it a gentleman's agreement in consideration of advertising fees? Ruger certainly ripped off lots of people, and these gun rags helped sell the con. Most of us just eat it because it was only $200.00.
I don't trust any gun magazine that accepts advertising as they are obligated to "be kind" to the manufacturer who buys the ads. There are some gun writers I tend to trust more than others, but even their articles are edited by people at the magazine. The more the manufacturers pay the magazine, the kinder the reviews. Gun Tests is the one publication I trust more than all the others as they don't accept advertising and will call a "spade a spade", regardless of how famous the maker or how popular their image.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I got a birds head and have put about 500 rounds through it. At first it keyholes a few and groups wasn’t tight , then after about 100-200 rounds grips tighten up and was dead on. Now it’s shooting 2” to the left , still grouping good though. I called Ruger about it and they wanted me to send pics of targets with the distance (10yards ) the types of ammo I used (I used 3 different kinds) and shot from a rest. I sent them all this information in a email and they email me back saying 3” group was in spec . I told them my groups were good , It was just shooting a bit to the left.

They sent me this
Good morning Jeff,

I have spoken with the technician – he has advised me that it is a little to the left but again within specs. it’s a fixed sight low cost firearm. They do not all hit 0”/0”.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
A Weaver #16 base is mentioned in the Rimfire Handguns forum as appearing to fit the Heritage. That might be a starting point if you want to add a red dot. I bought a couple of the rough riders for grandpa and the kids to play with and both will make hash out of coke cans at 25 yards if the shooter is capable. I have handled the wrangler but just can't find enough love to take one home even if it doesn't have a safety. It may be because they seem so cheesy compared to a single six and I expected a little more from Ruger instead of what I consider less than a rough rider. Part of it is the dull finish I suppose. I don't care for colored single action guns and even the black one is ugly in my book.

·
Registered
3 Posts
A Weaver #16 base is mentioned in the Rimfire Handguns forum as appearing to fit the Heritage. That might be a starting point if you want to add a red dot. I bought a couple of the rough riders for grandpa and the kids to play with and both will make hash out of coke cans at 25 yards if the shooter is capable. I have handled the wrangler but just can't find enough love to take one home even if it doesn't have a safety. It may be because they seem so cheesy compared to a single six and I expected a little more from Ruger instead of what I consider less than a rough rider. Part of it is the dull finish I suppose. I don't care for colored single action guns and even the black one is ugly in my book.
ive had a single six, single ten, and a bearcat. just picked up a wrangler and my first heritage rough rider (after many years of turning my nose up at them).

my impression of the rough rider is that its neat … 4 clicks! barrel is screwed in crooked so the sights dont line up. has some endshake. i dont mind it but it aint anything special.

the wrangler, on the other hand, is much, much more refined. finish is more consistent, no endshake, locks up tight. loading gate is TOO tight. sights are regulated. it aint a single six, but its a LOT closer to a single six than a rough rider.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I bought a Wrangler and the accuracy was bad. The most disturbing thing was that it keyholed about half of the rounds at 25 yards. Tried 3 different types of ammo. Talked to Ruger and sent it back. They said they could not fix it so they replaced it. Just received the replacement and it is keyholeing just like the one I sent in. If it were just group size I would think it was me but not sure I can make it keyhole. Anyone else have this problem. I have not seen it mentioned in any of the reviews.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I know this thread is about a Ruger Wrangler pistol but I have a very cheap Heritage Rough Rider pistol. I think you could do the same for your wrangler ……Same issues shot 3 inches low and left. Had my local gun smith drill and tap it and I bought a 2 inch little savage Rascal scope mount for it. $17.00.
You get 2 in package. It has a slot in the little mount.
My little red dot fits perfect on it. It shoots 1 1/4 groups dead center at 25 yards. Best thing I ever bought for a pistol. I had a guy make me a holster and I am good to go for trap line , rabbit hunting. Squirrel is a little tough on a head shot but if he is standing he is toast. Gun smith charged me $45.00 for the drill and tap. Couple videos on YouTube showing how a guy should do it. Has lasted for 3 plus months of heavy use. You might know soon as i did this 2 months ago Heritage came out with a tactical cowboy model with piccaney Rail. $213.00. Go figure. MD

41 - 50 of 50 Posts