Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the outlandish prices of centerfire ammo these days, lots of us have jumped on the AK98T/WASR22 Romy .22LR "AK".

And we're wondering if this is the right subforum to hang out in?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I got a romey wasr-22 about 2 months ago from CAI.... and WOW... all I can say is that the stock was about the roughest thing I've ever seen. That and I'm still degreasing it... it may be a .22, but it's all AK!!!! I love it...have not shot it yet, still working on the stock

·
Registered
122 Posts
I got a romey wasr-22 about 2 months ago from CAI.... and WOW... all I can say is that the stock was about the roughest thing I've ever seen. That and I'm still degreasing it... it may be a .22, but it's all AK!!!! I love it...have not shot it yet, still working on the stock
No need to work on the stock.........just replace it.;) And don't forget to add the other "evil" features back too like threads/flashhider and bayo lug.:D

And yes they are lots of fun on the cheap.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
You should also check out the Romanian part of the AK47 page of AR15.com.

Pick up such facts as the near future availability of high capacity mags for your WASR22 or AKT from Black Dog Machine LLC, troubleshooting, etc.

·
Registered
8,902 Posts
No need to work on the stock.........just replace it.;) And don't forget to add the other "evil" features back too like threads/flashhider and bayo lug.:D

And yes they are lots of fun on the cheap.
Just make sure it's legle in your state. The AWB ruals didn't end in about 10 states. Here in NY it's still on the books as they adopted it at a state level. So those "bad" features are still illegle unless it's pre ban.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Heres mine after changing a few things.

When I first got it, it was kinda unreliable but after completely cleaning it, doing a few mods and running a couple hundred rounds through it my problems have mostly dissapeared. Any malfunctions I have nowadays I can attribute mostly to ammo or mags. Its one of the most fun guns I have and it gets alot of attention especially when people think its a true ak. If I do my part it'll keep most of the shots in 3 inches at 25yds, which may not seem like much but with the sights that are on it and the fact that its about as far from refined as you can get seems pretty good to me.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I Cut the feed lips off to match to the same height as the original mag then I had to shape the front and back of the mag insert and a small area on the back of the actual mag to get it to fit properly. Once I got it to fit I had to make sure it sat level in the mag body when I tightened it down and make sure it was aligned properly side to side. When I first got it finished it actually jammed quite a bit until I realized that I didnt center it in the mag body so the rounds werent going in straight. I fixed that at the range with a peice of cardboard. Ive been meaning to do a proper fix on it but aslong as its working I dont want to mess with it.Once I got that fixed it worked quite a bit better. It still jams every once in a while but I think thats due to the feed lips being worn. It wasnt hard, just time consuming getting everything to fit right. I was going to use a 5.56 mag since I wouldnt have to do any work but it just looks better with a 7.62 mag.:D

·
Registered
444 Posts
Almost a Year (and 10.000 rounds later ) and I love my WASR 22 ! iT'S GIVEN ME INVALUABLE knowledge about the AK platform and being able to have an AK with pistol grip and detachable mags in California is a blast in itself ... You guys should Plug the empty gas system hole above the barrel/breech with a hard rubber plug to keep the loose empties out of the vacant gas system/tube, and set the eccentric adjuster screw on the bottom of the bolt at 12:00 with meaty side of screw head twards rear of bolt (Only do this if your rifle ejects weakly) and remove & clean your FP/spring/guide after every 500 rounds, and Try a Standard AK/AKM top cover to aid in the empties ejecting.:Blasting_

·
Registered
444 Posts
Southern Ohio Gun (SOG) has AKT-98 mags (AKMT -22 MAG @19.95 ea.) call because they are not listed on their site ... And I made a 10/30 ROUND steel AK mag also using the Cugir Plastic insert from the WASR 22 mag and a Ribbed eastern European AK 30 rounde banana mag like the one pictured (Had to grind top flat with Roatary Die Grinder and remove meat from Cugir plastic mag body insert to get it to fit around curve of 30 round mag body)

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
The Romanian page of the AK Forum also has threads.

The main problems are extraction ( most won't extract an unfired shell if the posts are anything to go by), parts support ( none except mags), and a tendency in some to double or triple ( slamfires, mostly).

Then there's the grease. If I get another one, the first step will be to remove the wood and fire control group and go to town with degreaser and a brush, then reshoot with inhibitor and reassemble. There was enough dirt on the newspaper afterward to pot a small plant.

Some guns have typical , fixable Romy problems like crooked front sight bases and gas blocks, but the can provide a familiarization with the AK platform. These have real Romy stamped receivers. Trigger on Mine (WASR22) is surprisingly light, though long and mushy, now lighter and shorter with a Tapco G2 FCG.

The side scope rail was bowed and had to be flat filed to accept the Belarussian mount ( purchased only to assess inherent accuracy, pending reliable function).

If somebody blows them out at $229 again I'll get at least one more. I wonder if Ironwood Designs would do furniture in psychedelic laminate? Incidentally, has anybody seen Ironwood's Steyr AUG 10/22 or other bullpup?

AT any rate, the WASR22 is quite sturdy, makes the GSG5 look like the glorified airsoft derivative it is.:D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.