Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Working with the 2X4 Stock!!! Flamed

Guys, here is the deal, I decided to save the money on a new stock for my old 10/22LR and use this for a new magnum later. Still not happy with the stock on the LR, I figured what the heck. So I scrapped all the finish if you can call it that off this stock.

Now this is not the first Birch stock I have redone either, its the third one LOL. I always have trouble getting good color and looks to these since they are really quite plain and albino looking wood.

Truth be told here, I think all the gun manufactures bust up all the bad pallets and use the 2X4's that are in them for these stocks LOL... All kidding aside here the other too I re-done was for a oil finish. I like oil finish stocks for the ease of maintance on guns I use, not to mention they just appeal to me with the natural look of the wood, at least in stocks that are not Birch.

Now the other two I did before all turned out way to light in color and was plain as you well know. No marbling, knots or anything. Lucky they are light and somewhat strong, just not much else to work with. No matter what I did on these other two changed that. One of these two rifles I still have and after many year gone by to age things, me included; the stock still looks way bad.

Well one thing has aged and with affects, that being me; I have all sorts of wringles and knots if you will LOL. Over the years I have worked many long hours on projects no one else would. Some things a person should not be asked too nor should make happen. I did them all if I was asked, this has left me with lots of things I still have nightmares about LOL, along with experience that I sometimes can use to better things.

Incomes the 10/22LR stock I have and don't care for. I started this project Sunday evening late, by the time I got whatever it is they put on them to hind the hinky wood under; I was ready to just throw the thing away.

I have taken a die grinder to this stock and cut finger groves, two thumb rests for diffent shooting positions as well as heal of the hand rest to help steady the grip on the gun when shooting. I also have rounded over all the square edges down the barrel channel as well as the action. I fluted a small channel for your trigger finger to find the sweet spot when all you have is an instant before a rodent escapes. All this was the easy part and ended up about as I expect I guess. I don't get into any hurry any longer, besides good things come to those who wait LOL. I fear this piece of wood the stock is made of might have to wait too long for much good to happen to it though, so I have hurried things somewhat.

Now for the finishing part, all along I have been thinking how I was going to do something with this albino looking wood. I had to try one thing to no avail, so I sanded all that off and started over. This stuff is the pits, I said; self all this is good for is fire wood!!! Then it hit me, so I took my small propane hand torch and seered this sucker over till it was way more done than beef I like to eat.

Now I don't know if some of you stock wizards have tired this, but its better than nothing and the best thing I have come up with to date. No could have just oiled it like that and had a black finish, but I couldn't help wanting to know if I could make anything of this stock like this. I love a challenge anyway. So I sanded the burned color off but leaving some so as to add color and something to look at under an oil finish.

Now don't mistake this for even a bad piece of good wood, yet the thing looks alot better and I have not finished the oiling. I will add some PIC's as I proceed now that I know I am not going to pitch the stock and get a new one LOL... I have also removed my peep sights front and back, replaced the stock open sights for in case of a scope failure. With how the rear sight folds down, this way if I was to fall or something and break the scope I have a back-up. Mounted scope rail and rings and a bead blasted Simmons mag 44 scope that started out life as a black finish 3-10...

I take the peeps off this gun for night shooting, now that I have been given a task of ridding this area of some certain rodents that dig up everything that has just been planted by said land owner LOL. Even went as far as saying 50 bucks each for those I get off this place and/or near by. Well, whom am I to ask why, sign me up; I'm there for ya', chiggers and all too...

So what we have here is an over haul of sorts on my 10/22LR with stock being changed for the good or bad as it may turn out to be, as well as take some killer peep sights that I just love to shoot with for a much better sight for night shooting rodents for pay no less. So once the PIC's are up, you guys be gentle on me and my 10/22LR as I am really tender and nuieve. Real impressionable also, so take it easy on me LOL... From the PIC's of the guns I have seen on this site I may should not even waste the paper I have already burned off talking about the burning of the stock to a flame finish.

· Registered
131 Posts
Can't wait to see some pics of this experiment.

Birch is light colored and 'boring', true. But imagine a SS barrel and nickel hardware on a light stock like birch or even maple. It would be unusual and striking.

c.

· Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Flamed PIC

Now I hope this works like I have done on other sites??? The rope trick could have made this a little more consistent I figure, but when I did all this, I was only a wink away from tossing it LOL... These are with one coat of oil and drying. Nothing like anything I have seen from you guys on here. I am not even in the running for sloppiest. Done will be wonderful though, I would much rather had something to work with besides Birth. I like a good oil finish though and this will have that and a good feeling grip now.

Now what was a little dissappointing here was while I was sanding some of the black off, I had a three color contrast of stripes on her. Tan or the really light color, brown where I left a little of the burn and then the darker color where I left almost all the flamed action in place.

Once I hit her with the oil she melted to this configuration. Would have been cool if I had spent more time on this and got something to help lay out the burns, I was not sure how this was going to end up and I had already spent a lot of time cutting and grinding on this to improve the grip, not to mention all the sanding off of the OEM finish.

First time for something like this I must admit. I have done the flame treatment to my hammer handles before, just never finished them any farther out. I learn by my mistakes most often. Next one will be more like a zebra. So what do you guys think? It's at least an oil finish LOL...

· Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks dude, but I could have done better, but I was already sick of it by the time the idea hit me. So, now I know it can help the Birch; maybe next one will look better. It does help the Birch stock though, at least for me it does.

· Registered
318 Posts
running boar said:
Rowdy,
that is absofreakinlutly fantastic, you just drove the price up for crappy birch stocks, I'm surfin ebay right now everybody stay off :D
Drop me a PM... I have lonely birch stock sitting in my closet that I'll let got of cheap. :D

Rowdy, I'd say this one looks pretty darn good as is! A little randomness and unpredictability is always better to me than overly planned stripes.

· Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A little character surely isn't going to hurt my feelings either. Anything will be better than what it was. If I had seen the Hogue OM in green at one of the sponsors here that someone pointed out to me today, I might have thrown this away before I did the flame job. As it is now, I guess I will put this all together and see what she looks like.

This OEM stock weight was under 2 pounds as I have checked this with good digital scales, so does anyone know what the Hogue OM weights? I would like to see more info on things like this on all the aftermarket goodies.

· Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Here is a look see of the striped 10/22LR. I have not finished this, only a few coats of oil rubbed in and I just slipped her into the stock and slip the barrel band on her.

I will be using the barrel band for looks only when finished, I am going to bed the barrel in good as that is ready now, and have the receiver floating. Just wanted to see what it looks like on the saddle blanket I shoot from LOL. Still lots of things to do yet on all the metal.

I am thinking way hard on bead blasting the receiver and barrel at this point. It would better match the finish I put on the old Simmons 44 mag scope I loose fitted on her to see how they all look together now. Lots of difference between them really. I like the looks of the matte finish over the brushed finish Ruger has on the stainless 10/22.
Just have not decided yet what all I will do on that yet. Bead blasting only takes a few minutes really, then a good clean up, which she will have to have anyway, after the barrel bedding. So what does everyone thing so far?

I had to use the saddle blanket to shoot the PIC of her, was funny, the first one I just set her up on top of the hot tub cover, and see dissappeared in the PIC pretty much LOL... All the siver and gray and then them stripes, just all meshed together. You guys have a great weekend!!!

Oh, forgot to mention, the rifle weight is 5.9 pounds too, still good to carry. I went to a local gun shop here this morning and had my hands on two VQ rifles. Both was standards with smooth barrel and stainless receivers, one had the Hogue OM stock and the other a Lam. I was glad they was not in the 22mag cal... I am going to have me a 22mag, I just don't think as of yet I want one that heavy to tote around. Sweet rifles though. Way heavy duty rifles.

· Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This will be the first order of business to change out, new Stainless Steel Butt Plate. I never thought much of the plastic ones. Loved the steel or a good soft rubber compound one. So for now I will hammer out a stainless and fit to the exsisting cut out of the Ruger Butt Plate fitment.

Now if any of you have ever tried to cut off a stock of one of these and put the same shape plate or the rubber recoil pad on one, you know just how much design just went into this shape. Really is quite a bit of workmanship went into the design thats for sure. I feel certain something along this design for as how much effort and talent went that was put into this, not to mention the biggy nowdays"The Cost" well it ain't going to happen now on any new rifles. Way too much cost cutting going on. Now pride in workmanship in much of anything anymore, unless you can't pay for it, there might be a little if that the case LOL...

OK, I am through ranting, this has been something I have been wanting to see if I could do, one of those challenges I love:)
I just really wanted to get rid of of the"CPS" on the Butt of this 10/22.(Cheap Plastic sh?t) CPS

So this is the roughed out beginning of what I hope to end up with a few new twists to it. Some design engineer really did put a lot of effort into the shape of this if you ask me. One of a kind sort of thing which I really like to see in things built. Ranting again, sorry. Anyway, as things come along on this I will hang a PIC up of the progress if no one minds. Check this out as it sits on the anvil wood block where most of the hammer forging was started on this. There will be no automation technology used to make this one LOL.

· Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK guys, here is the first finish I am playing with here on the butt plate. This would be the brushed finish that would basically match my finish on the SS10/22LR I have. As mentioned earlier I may decide to bead blast for a mat finish. Just not sure exactly what I am going after here yet.

Even toyed around with the polished idea as this would look cool, problem for me is that the rifle is a hunter and the shiney polished look would be a little too much. Have even thought about how you can warm the stainless up and get all kinds of color in it too, from a brownish hue and gold look, or on up hotter to the blued look. You could do the colored finish to the brushed, polished or even the bead blasted mat finish. So many possibilities, so much decissions...So what does everyone thing would be cool on the SS10/22LR I have here,help???

Then I guess I could just black out the butt plate too, never have minded the really heavy blacked finish either...

· Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
On another note here, after rounding to surface of this plate I got a lot more weight off the plate. I think aluminum might have to be given some thought also. You can finish it the same choices, would be a lot lighter. We see how this one ends up and what everyone things. Then we see if I could entertain the idea of making more or not. I would scare everyone with how much time I have in the first one here LOL... So, how much you think these little custom hand forged items would be worth guys? I do need a 22magnum and funds for such are always short around here LOL. I have already been toying with which of my other guns to try to part with to get the funds for such.

Getting rid of any of the guns I have is like pulling teeth. I like each and every one. I have two that I may see if any interest on the forsale page here. Got to check into what a FFL will charge me to transfer and send to a buyer. Toys, all this stuff is very addictive for me, like I really need a 22mag with what I have now.

· Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah you could see that I had to shot this with the red eye affect on too. Having a lot of trouble just getting a good PIC of the polished ones. Here is another view of the plate with the full color spectrum from the gold at the top of the plate through the blueish toward the bottom side of the plate. I like to have never got a good enough PIC of this to show much of the color LOL...

OK guys, talk to me; what's you'all think about these??? Which one?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.