Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Four since April 22 with my Marlin 917V and Mueller APV. I shoot them as I see them around the house and barn. #4 went down yesterday.

An hour ago, I saw the biggest chuck I've ever seen, but he was too close to the road to shoot. He's a good candidate for #5. To be continued....

·
Registered
916 Posts
I'm only up to about 8 myself, haven't been out much yet but hope to start in on a 'once per week' pace as we move into June now. Of course my guns in the hands of buddies have probably accounted for another half dozen or so. They're really active, with babies showing up on the scene now also. We saw about a dozen the other night, taking 5 between two of us. Need to get the winter wheat off and some beans up. Good hunting everyone.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thats awesome good luck to you guys this year. we dont shoot babies so we have sum for the next year lol. only big ones get killed so we never run out i think i have seen over 100 already there everywhere haha. keep us posted man !

·
Registered
48 Posts
Only Two

Went out with my son (just home from grad school) and walked a few miles. Grass hadn't been mowed yet, so we only worked the edges. He carried the heavier rifle (savage 10FP in .223) and I carried my Remington 550 (got it on my 12th birthday, 49 years ago).

We walked into 3 deer and a turkey in the thick grass - quite a surprise for all concerned!

Ended up only using the Savage, but we got 1 each ~80 yards with my 55 gr VMax handloads. Not very challenging, but a very satisfying day.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I just got #9 today. They've been crossing from a meadow into the woods over a yard that I cut with a finishing mower. #5-#9 have come with a regular setup: the same 17HMR and a Caldwell TackDriver bag on the back patio. 120-150 yards.

I thought I had nailed #5 because he didn't move after I took my shot. I walked up to examine the entry and exit, but he scampered into the high weeds before I could get in too close. Oh well, I guess I really did miss. After 2 and a half 90+ degree days later, it was unmistakable that I really hadn't missed. Peeeuuuweee! :eek: I buried him in the ground with #6.

I haven't run into "chuckzilla" again, but the season is still young.

·
Registered
368 Posts
First time out was this afternoon, managed to go three for three. Took them with a 10/22 open sights nothing over 50 yrds. As they become more wary I'll graduate to a scoped rifle. The hay is being cut and I'm just getting started.
Good hunting everyone.:t

·
Banned
565 Posts
I've only shot one and it was with a Romanian semi-auto AK-47 copy.It ran about 5 yards with its entrails dragging behind it and I dropped the rifle and ran up to it with the Makarov to to shut it down for good.I hate hitting something and not having it immediately die.I was only 10 yards from it when I took my first shot so it only took me a couple of seconds to cover the distance to dispatch it with the pistol.Oh,and buy the way,I'm a combat vet so before you try to flame me for"dropping the rifle" or running with a loaded pistol,with the safety on by the way,just remember it's not like I'm a first timer to this kind of manuevering.I live in vermont and unfortunately there are'nt as many chucks around since almost everybody has a gun to shoot them with.I think they are endangered here in VT.:bthumb: :Blasting_

·
Registered
801 Posts
Geminidglocker... That same thing happened to me a few years ago with my SKS. Shot one at 30-50 yards, he was on the run. The bullets just blew through him, I hit him twice, and dragging guts he continued to run for a bit. I used my Phoenix Arms HP-22 to finish him.

I used to get a few more, but my hunting area has diminished in size due to housing. And the coyotes get some.
I got one last year and I just got my first one of this year on Wednesday of last week.
Savage 93 heavy barrel stainless .22 mag, Nikko Stirling 4-12x42 A/O scope, bipod, Winchester silver box SuperX ammo.

Watched him run back to his hole near a bean field and a riverbank.
Went home to get my gun, drove down a lane where I watched him run in. Set the gun up on the trunk. He came out about 20 yards farther than I expected. No matter, it was still only about 50-60 yards. Got him in the neck right behind his head. He had no idea.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Groundhog on Bush Hog!

Got #15 today before going out to cut firewood after work. 120 yards. They're spending a lot of time eating clover these days.

I re-zeroed my scope three days ago because I had been missing everything. After I threw a couple bullets downrange, I realized that I was 8 inches to the right--yowza! When I sat down again after adjusting the scope, a chuck ran right behind the target. Brave little bugger. I had to let him go because I hadn't tested my scope adjustments yet. I guess he got a three day holiday, too! :bthumb:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.