Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Wood type on Brno Model 1

1770 Views 30 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  gmd1950
I know I don't come here often but I need some assistance in determining the type of wood on this Brno Model 1. It also appears to me that the rifle still has way too much lube on it.

TIA

Sparks
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Premium Member
3,081 Posts
Mmmm... difficult. It appears the stock has ray flecks near the ejection port so I'm going to lean towards beech.

I agree that bolt needs to be wiped down. The blue on that rifle looks to be in great shape. You found yourself a gem there.

~~~

· Registered
3,460 Posts
I'd go with beech too, beech was the common wood for these. Looks like someone sanded out the dents and gouges from years of use and restained for that flat finish. Without seeing if there's a schnabel forend, might be a plain walnut aftermarket stock.
Mine sanded down to a blonde color and I left it that way with a satin clear finish.

· Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies folks, If the stock refinish to my satisfaction what other CZ stocks would fit this action? From what I can see in the photos and description given, there are no gouges or cracks in the wood.

Sparks

· Registered
795 Posts
Hi Sparks
looking at the trigger it is the adjustable one rather than the mauser type, Denny does a very nice replacement model 1 stock but from memory it is inletted for the mauser type trigger, this may have changed, you would need to check with Denny on this fact and if he has any in stock. It is not a big job to clear a bit of wood for the adjustable trigger though, depending on your skills/tools available. others that have this stock may be able to comment further
Cheers
Paul

· Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I could not tell what type of trigger and it is good to know tha the trigger is adjustable, I hope, but either way I am looking forward to having it in hand next week. I will get in touch with Denny if the beech stock does not work out.

Thanks

Sparks

· Registered
5,632 Posts
Paul has better eyes than the rest of us.
Study the pics here and look at the portion of the trigger that would be exposed:
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161209
Going by the single picture that shows the trigger, I'd have to say that it's a standard non-adjustable #1 Brno trigger. All the adjustable triggers that I have curve much closer to the back of the trigger guard than the one in the picture.

Perhaps the OP can take a picture of the trigger out of the stock?

· Registered
931 Posts
Based on proportion of the thickness of the triggers to their curvature,...

The trigger on the right has a smaller radius going into a straight section before the bend at the vertical part.

The left hand one has a longer radius curve and no straight section before the bend.

The trigger in the rifle shows that same tighter radius into a straight section of the right hand trigger.

Paul

· Registered
5,632 Posts
OK, I stand corrected. It is the adjustable type. My 1951 Brno #1 rifle has that exact trigger. For some reason I was thinking of the later adjustable trigger such as used on the newer rifles.

Sorry for any confusion I've caused.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.