Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Wolf MT Ammo

913 Views 10 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  batmanacw
Does anyone have the MV figures on MT ammo? Is it subsonic? :confused:
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
187 Posts
I dont believe it is... I think 1050fps comes to mind... cant remember where I saw that...

· Registered
187 Posts
Actually yes... I had thought that hitting the sound barrier was at 1000fps... but it isnt actually it is as follows...

1,116.4 ft/s
340.3 m/s
761.2 mph
1,225.1 km/h
661.5 knots

So... yes...sub-sonic at 1050fps

· Registered
484 Posts
Perhaps that 1050 figure IS out of a shorter barrel. It would be nice if they'd state what length barrel the speeds are derived from.. With out that reference point, the speeds (at least to me) are some what meaning less.
CraigJS

· Registered
425 Posts
I have never had Wolf MT go supersonic. It always stays subsonic as I have never heard the crack like you get when it goes over the sound barrier.

· Registered
914 Posts
CraigJS said:
Perhaps that 1050 figure IS out of a shorter barrel. It would be nice if they'd state what length barrel the speeds are derived from.. With out that reference point, the speeds (at least to me) are some what meaning less.
CraigJS
I've chronographed a lot of Wolf M/T ammo using a GM 18" barrel and get an average of about 1040 fps a couple inches from the muzzle......My 5.5" Ruger SS6 averages about 970 fps....I thought there would be a much greater difference in velocity between the two but all I can surmise is that Wolf uses a fairly fast burning powder that doesn't need much barrel length to get "up to speed"....(sure "stinks" though IMHO LOL)

Dennis

BTW, yesterday I clocked some Peters HV ammo which is advertised at 1255 on the box and got velocities from 1100 to 1150....I've found that Remington is often a little "optimistic" on their velocity claims....(centerfire too)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.