Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Wish me luck

278 8
Today I purchased a Model 39A with the L-prefix so I guess it's a 1954 model if I looked at the chart correctly. I've been wanting an older 39A fo quite a while. The catch is that I purchased it sight unseen. Hence the reason for needing a good dose of luck. I don't generally purchase firearms in this manor so I'm a little excited and worried at the same time. Its coming from Kittery's Trading Post in Maine and is supposed to be an 85% rifle with no defects, however I've never dealt with them so I'm not familiar with their version of what constitutes "85%".

Well, its a heck of a long way from Maine to Texas so I have about a six day wait after today.

Once again...wish me luck and I'll keep you posted,
azimuth
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
39a

azimuth,
Does this seller offer an inspection period and an opportunity to return the gun if not satisfied? If so, you are in good shape if the gun is not as expected you'll only be out the cost of shipping both ways and any FFL fees that you may have paid. If it's a "sold as is, no returns auction" I wish you good luck. Generally I have been lucky with the firearms I have purchased on line through the mail. Only once did I recieve a gun that I was truly dissatisfied with. The seller took it back and refunded my money. Think happy thoughts! It's going to be OK!

Kix:bthumb:

·
Registered
624 Posts
"Once again...wish me luck and I'll keep you posted,
azimuth"
My one experience with a long-range shipment (from Nebraska to Ohio), went flawlessly. As far as 85% condition, you're pretty much on your own there. Most of mine would probably be in the 99% bracket (even the 60-year-old one). My dad taught me "Always clean your gun after you shoot it and before you go to bed". That advice has been working for me for a half-century, so I'm not about to change it.

·
Registered
288 Posts
85% ehh....I don't like judging by percentages, it seems like an opinion to me. But if you're getting it as a shooter i think you'll be fine, a looker might be a different story though. Have a 39 (product of 1950) of my great grandfathers and it has shot more squirrels than I've ever seen, and i know it wasn't treated like a baby but it's still spot on from 50 yards. I know my rambling isn't going anywhere....but GOOD LUCK and hopefully you'll be able to enjoy you're purchase...

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the well wishes. I'm really not too worried over the deal since it isn't a high dollar rifle. I wanted and older 39A for a shooter and they seem to be few and far between in my area. If the rifle truly is 85% then it should look pretty good, but not so much that I'd have to worry about adding a couple of dents and dings. Maybe I'll run across one of those 99% deals after I've saved up a little money. I'm tapped right now because I've picked up two Springfield 45's, a Garand and a nice 77/22 all within the past couple of weeks.

thanks again,
azimuth

·
Registered
7,256 Posts
It's not the condition that matters, but what you paid for that condition.;)

I've bought close to a dozen rifles, sight unseen, from dealers across the country. A lot of them had a "," in the price.:D I just have them go over every inch via phone, from muzzle to buttplate....type of front sight, screw condition, cracks, amount of varnish, metal condition, etc. I've never sent one back.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I said that I'd keep you updated and here's the progress so far. The Marlin started in Kittery, ME and then went:
  1. North to Wells, ME
  2. South to Shrewsbury, MA
  3. Southwest to New Stanton, PA
  4. West to Columbus, OH
  5. North again to Maumee, OH
Has it passed though your neck of the woods? It just left Maumee at 8:37 AM and I'm hoping it's headed south. Anyone want to guess the next stop on it's way to Lubbock, TX?
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I don't think you will be dissapointed. Kittery's is a well known place. I've personally never dealt with them, but have had friends that have. Top notch.

Don't forget to post pics as soon as you get it.

Chunckchucker

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.