Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a lot of shopping around and reading all I could find and comparing price v preformance, I finaly bought me a new computer! Its a HP Pavilion Elite m9200t series. Its loaded with Windows Vista Home Premium (64bit), Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz, 4GB SDRAM (expandable to 8GB), 512MB NVIDIA 8500GT Grafics Card, 500GB Raid 1 hard drive, Lightscribe 16X DVD+/- R/RW, 16X DVD-CD ROM, ATSC-NTSC TV tuner with PVR FM tuner and remote, Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtream Audio sound card, Front ports include a 15 in 1 memory card reader (makes it great for pictures from the camera, just stick the memory card in the computer!).

So far I love it, I can now finaly put my 3D CAD program to work! It makes working with Photo Shop a dream! Having the TV tuner and remote is nice, but I like to use the computer while watching the TV so I probablay wont use that feature to much!

Now heres my question. Im new to Vista, is there anyway to turn off the security promps? Everytime you try to download or run something you have to give it permission, its a pain in the butt!

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Go to Control Panel, then Security Center, and turn Off "User Account Control".... that should do it, and was one of the first things I did after I got this Dell M6300 laptop w/ Vista Ultimate.

BTW, I love this rig!... 17" HD widescreen, Intel T9500 Core2 Duo CPU @ 2.6 ghz., 160 gb. 7200 rpm H.D., 4 gb. RAM, 6 USB and all the other ports you could ask for, etc. etc.... and Vista is not as bad as "they" say it is, as long as you spend some time wrestling with it... uhhh, I mean learning it, yeah that's it...

Does Home Premium have Windows Media Center? Watching TV on WMC, you can make the TV screen a mid-size "window" (or minimize it), and still check email, surf the web, etc. while the TV runs.

I also added a HP PC Express card analog/digital TV tuner w/ FM radio, and it's GREAT!... using Windows Media Center, I can get up at 5 and watch a national news program, tune in the local TV morning news at 5:30, then switch to the Johnboy and Billy radio show at 6.... whoo hoo! :D

p.s. Watching HD digital TV sitting less than 3 ft. away from a 17" hi-def LCD computer screen ROCKS baby!! :t

I can see just how well Chuck Leonard (local morning news guy) SHAVED on any given morning!

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
I been running Vista Ultimet 64 sence about October..
Needed a way to shut my kids account off when I did not want him on..:t
No more of him waiting till people to go to bed to get on for a late nighter..:D
Besides,, I watched the development of Vista for about 3 year's prior to its release..
I build my own rig's..
So far,, most the problems I have herd of ,delt with peoples imaginations..
Its a much better op system than XP,, and we wont even talk about ME.
Most things are still there,, just moved,, and there is a whole lot more added.
Better file management for the main thing..
The li'll popups you talk of are a security feature..
To get you to ask yourself, if you really want to make a change..
It wont stop you,, but make you think twice befor doing..
And if you dont make the decission,, it wont let a program run,,(In case it was something you did not ask to.)
Normally,, when given the chance,, I check the box "Do Not Show Me This Again"..
Scroll down to UAC's..
Anoyance #8..
http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-6170816.html
Personaly,, I have not turned mine off..
But the option is there.. ;)

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
#22 10-01-2007, 05:58 PM
Uncle Jed
is online now

Team RFC

TPC Rating: 0% (0)
Team RFC Since: Oct 2005
Team RFC To: Nov 2008

Just completed the migration to Vista Ultimate 64...
Reconfigured all my drive's..
Raid-0 2x150gb Raptor's = 300gb main drive,, pretty speedy too..
Raid-0 2x300gb Maxtor's = 600gb data and backup drive..
WD MyBook 500gb External drive, for backing up, my backup's, and other deep storage..')
1.4 Terabyte's of storage ,,and growing...
Running a Pentium D 950 3.4 ghz..
4gb of Crucial DDR-2 800 mhz for Ram..
This thing scored a 5.0-5.7 avg out of a possibe 5.9 ,on there Vista PC Rating test..
Not bad for something I basickly built 15 months ago..

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tip Georgiaboy, I hope it works. Under most conditions it probably wouldnt bother me to much, but setting up a new computer and getting all my programs in and updated Im getting tired of giving this thing my premission all the time!

I had a computer with Windows ME, I had nothing but trouble with it, but Im not sure if it was the programing or the computer. It got to the point I had to do a complete system restore three times in one month because everything would freeze up and stop working! I solved the problem by getting a new computer with XP!

So far, as far as user interaction goes, Vista isnt to much different then XP, except for that pain in the butt premission thing!

Jed, Im not up to date on all the tech stuff to building my own, so I guess I'll have to stick with the store bought models! I think I got a pretty good deal on this out fit, with all the upgrades it was $823 plus tax, and they let me have a 22" HP flat moniter to get the most out of the digital media for $189, which was about $100 less then MSRP.

Oh by the way, if my wife shows up around here, as far as you all know this computer was her late Mothers Day present, Ok?:whistle:

And Jetgirl if you happen to see this, Im just kidding! I know how you girls like to stick together!:bthumb:

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
I made the jump from ME to Vista.

I haven't found one thing yet that I don't like about Vista.:bthumb:

Jed, what's wrong with ME?:)
ME I think was Microshafts abreviation for "Many Errors"!
My pc was a constant battle to keep stuff running right..
About the time you would get the bugs worked out of something,, they would slam you with another urgent update,, that would shut something elce down..:mad:
Untill they changed it to Win Me 9X and added a bunch of windows 2000 components,, hardly anything ran well...
It was half baked at best.. ;)

·
Registered
645 Posts
ME I think was Microshafts abreviation for "Many Errors"!
My pc was a constant battle to keep stuff running right..
About the time you would get the bugs worked out of something,, they would slam you with another urgent update,, that would shut something elce down..:mad:
Untill they changed it to Win Me 9X and added a bunch of windows 2000 components,, hardly anything ran well...
It was half baked at best.. ;)
The biggest problem I had with ME. It would take multiple tries to boot it up. You definitely have to tinker and toy with it to keep it up and running.

I've heard of it referred to the Mistake Edition.

Jim

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
:yeahthat: Uncle Jed speaks the truth!

Windows ME = Windows 98SE = BSOD waiting to happen.

:Blasting_ 98/ME

I think all Windows 98/ME users should have been paid as beta testers for 2000/XP.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.