Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My old range closed down and I had to find a new one. The one I found has a berm running parellel to the shooting lanes about 10 yards from the 25 yard lane. My scores have been going down. I finally made a Dasie wheel wind flag and took it to the range yesterday and it opened my eyes. I placed it app 5 yards from the shooting bench and got the best results. In the past I had used the feel of the wind on my face as to the wind--bad Idea. I broke out the Fed. lighting and shot app. 200 rounds.
The first thing I discovered was that a berm does strange things to the wind. I could feel a wind on the left hand side of my face and the wind flag would show a head wind at one point. Or feel wind and the flag would show no wind---strange.
REsults--- If I shot only when the flag showed a moderate wind fron 7:00 o'clock I would hit very close to POA. To shoot any other time the POA and POI were anyone guess.
My point-- get a wind flag and try it. See what the wind is doing and find a happy medium and let the flag tell you when to shoot. I think yours and my scores will go up. In fact I am making me four more before I try to shoot a target for score.
graybeard
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Amen to that graybeard!!

The range I shoot at has 3 benches across between two berms with a 25, 50, 100, and 200 yard targets. The berms have red pine growing on them as well and the back of the range behind the shooter is open. The "peak" of the berms are 30yds apart, thus the 25yd is right against the south berm. I always thought the wind in our range was pretty meaningless til I got to shootin these USBR's. There are times when i have no wind whatsoever on me, but a pine limb beside the 25yd butt is going wild. I shot a ton of practice targets the last two months trying to figure this out. I think i have a good corner on it now, we'll see.

The next trip to the range is going to involve many electric fence post and some surveyors tape every 5 yards!

·
Registered
486 Posts
I just started using windflags at my home range, which is in an old gravel pit. I never realized how much the wind swirls, and how much difference there can be between the flag a few feet in front of the bench and the ones downrange. I've still got a lot to learn about reading them, but I think I've succesfully adjusted P.O.A. a few times already.:)

I have to put a :t in for Slingshots design. He actually made mine for me, a perk of being a NY team member (and he just happened to find enough material to make three while he was cleaning his garage). I think you can find the design in the "Tips and Tricks" forum. They are so sensitive that the wind pushed forward from me walking towards them sets the spinners in motion.:t
Renegade

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.