Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Winchester Xpert

780 6
Hey All,

I left some ammo out at night during a rain and it has a funky white powder on the bullets after it dried. I shot a couple of rounds today to see if it would fire and it went bang. What should I do with the rest? Use some lubricant to remove the white powder or shoot it like it is?

Cheers!
BrewMonkey
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
That white powder is lead oxidation. When bare lead is exposed to the elements it 'oxidizes'. Nasty stuff for humans. Seems like Xperts are a little shy on lubricant. Me personally, I'd keep them and shoot em and then wash my hands afterwards. Washing up after handling any lead is good practice though. Google lead oxidation and see what you come up with.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Try cleaning off residue

It sounds like excess dry lubricant,it would not be wise to remove it unless you want a bullet stuck in the bore.
Sorry I have to disagree there is no lubricate on Winny cheapo Experts let alone excess That's why the corrode so easily. Basically overnight, even from just leaving them exposed to high humidity.
Try wiping off white residue with rag dabbed with with gun oil. If they clean up ok then shoot them. Experts are pretty cheap, it doesn't take much to corrode them at all. They shoot well enough for the price but are pretty low quality ammo and don't store well. I don't shoot them anymore for those reasons!
Washing your hands good Is always a good practice when handling lead.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.