Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Winchester Model 72a

627 Views 6 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  Tilton Hilton
Saw one at a shop today priced at $235.00. Nice solid original rifle in approx. 70-75% condition. When I got home I checked it in the blue book and was dissapointed to see the value listed at $115.00, since it was less than 80% condition.
Is it realistic as a buyer to expect to find a 72a in this condition and the seller having it priced at $115 per the blue book?
I just started collecting older .22 rifles and I'm a softie for the old walnut stocks!
Thanks, jim.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
95 Posts
Hi, blue book or any other pricing method is just a reference . I have a Win-75 sporting mint with El Paso Weaver J4 scope/Weaver adj 3/4"rings . Beautiful Walnut stock . Probally book at $500-$600 . Wouldn't take less than $850 for it . Why ??? Because thats my feeling of value for a rifle like this . Guns sometimes have a added value built in . It's the "gotta have " factor ! Everyone's gotta have factor is different that is what makes capitalism so great !!! And why some shops seem to have higher prices for certain items ,waiting for that gotta have guy to buy ! Will you be able to find what you want at your price ? Depends on your Gotta Have patience ! LOL .......WVleo

· Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WVleo,
Agreed! I 'm uncertain as to my Gotta Have weight factor. I'm usally good at walking away. Since I'm new at collecting .22's, I don't have a real good feel for the supply side of the equation yet
Thanks, Jim.

· Registered
1,378 Posts
I've only seen 2 in my life and I'm 52 and been shooting since I was little. My uncle has an early one that he had to refinish because it was rough when he got it in a trade.

I bought a 72A w/ the original peep sight around about 1984 for $150. It still had the factory grease in it, but didn't have a box, papers or hang tag. It had been won in a golf tournament in Philly and propped in a closet by a guy who didn't shoot. It was a really good shooter from what I could tell, but I never put a scope on it or shot it much. I sold it for $200 to someone I knew about 8 years ago.

Now I see they're $450 in the Blue Book in 100% condition. Oh well, $200 meant more to me then than $450 does now.

Let me think a minute...for $235 I'd rather have a new CZ Special than a used 72. Well, maybe not if the 72 had regular sights on it - but probably. Yup, I guess it depends on what you like.

John

· Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JohnBT,
Yes, everthing needs to be weighted. I do have a new CZ Special and the 72a does have regular sights, not peep but ramp.
Hmmm, And I just got a few of the BRNO#1's from J&G Sales, an
d have a Winchester M67 on the way and have a Winchester 69 with the Lyman sites.
Maybe I should quit buying and enjoy what I have for a while!
Jim.

· Registered
769 Posts
My Strategy

I am willing to pay top dollar but expect the gun to be in excellent condition. Especialy the action and bore. The wood is apt to be dark on a 50 year old gun and the bluing thin in spots so don't judge too harshly in those areas. What I am really looking for is a gun that has not been shot very much. If the rifling is eroded in spots and the bolt handle deeply grooved where it engages the receiver I will pass on that gun. If the gun is prime I will walk out the door with it and not sweat the price(within reason). You can always pay the asking price but get a discount on the transfer fee from your dealer. Sometimes the dealer will discount something else to make the sale.

· Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Happy Gardener,
Nice to hear from you. I bought the Winchester, $205.00 OTD. The bore is like new and the bolt handle had no signs of wear in the metal where it mates with the receiver. Actually only the bluing was worn in that area. Perhaps it had the bolt handle replaced at some time?
I previously stated it was a Model 67a but in fact it was a Model 67. I've read that the 67a has a swept back bolt handle. The handle on this appears swept back, were the 67 bolt handles perfectly straight without any rearward sweep?
Thanks, Jim.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.