Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just registered and this is my first post. I have collected for years, mostly Milsurp weapons, and I would like to concentrate more on .22's.
Yesturday while visiting a few local shops I looked at mostly used .22 rifles one of which was a Model 69. Description as follows; Barrel marked Model 69, nice walnut stock,bluing around 75%(no pitting), beaded front sight(can't remember if it was hooded), rear peep sight(Lyman 57EW), receiver not grooved for scope mounts,rear sight dovetail cut in barrel has flat top blank in dovetail, front and rear sling swivals, 10 shot Winchester marked magazine.
The rifle appears all original and well cared for,it has aged nicely. Nice silver patina where the bluing has worn and the stock is dark from old oils. Nice trigger but slow release from old varnished oils.
A few questions, the target model has a heavy barrel, should it appear as a bull barrel? Do model 69a's have 69A stamped in barrel?
I didn't have a bore light with me so I still need to check this. The rifle is priced at $175.00, how does this seem?

OT, the shop also had a Ranger Model 103-13 with peep sights priced at $75.00, looked original with a little rust/pitting on the barrel. Is there anywhere I can find information on this?
And finally they had a Western semi auto .22 rifle which appears to be a Savage Model 6A for $45.00, is this worth buying?

Thanks for any help, Jim.

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Winchester Model 69 Target

Tilton Hilton,

Welcome to RFC......! ! :)

The M69 [cock on closing; non swept back bolt handle] was introduced in 1935; in 1937, it was redesigned to the M69A [cock on opening; swept back bolt handle] and remained in continuous production until 1963. It was offered in three configurations:
1. Open sights on the barrel [a less expensive model].
2. Aperature sights, with the Winchester 97B rear and 80A front sight.
3. Target Model: slightly heavier barrel, Lyman 57EW aperature sights.

IIRC, my M69A was so stamped on the barrel, but, that is going back ~ 50 years...... :eek:

I had the "aperature sight model" with the Winchester 97B rear and 80A front sight [hooded]. There was no dovetail cut in the barrel for a rear open sight....! ! :eek:

The "Target Model's" barrel is only slightly heavier than the standard 25" Sporter barrel of the M69A; it is lighter than the target barrel of the M75 Target. No, it is NOT a bull barrel.

Winchester Model 69 Target:
Some typical values: ["Blue Book of Gun Values", 20th Ed.]
100% = $490. [NIB]
_98% = $455.
_95% = $405.
_90% = $315.
_80% = $210.
_70% = $140.
_60% = $120.

Hope this helps.....! ! :)

·
Registered
818 Posts
69A in Really Good Shape

will tend to sell for about $250. The 69 is worth much more. When you check the bore one point of interest is the rifling directly after the chamber, it gets eroded there. The Winchester target barrel is not really a bull barrel buy todays standard, it is not quite as thick. The 69 is more of a collector gun while the 69A appeals to traditionalists who like a shooter.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, thanks for the replys. I looked the the rifle again today with the following additional observations;
1) Front sight has a provision for a hood, but no hood included.
2) Rear peep site is marked Lyman. Not Lyman 57EW,
3)The blank that fits in the rear sight dovetail is stamped MARBLE.
4) The bore is excellent.
5) The stock has one rather deep 1/4" ding.
6) The barrel has some minor rust and pitting near the muzzle.
7) 10 round magazine.

. Happy Gardner, Is there anthing about the 69 that makes it less desireable as a shooter compared to the 69A? Gun values books don't reflect a premium for the Model69,is this however your experience?
Thanks, Jim.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi again. I forgot to add that the receiver appears to be tapped for a scope mount. There are two holes drilled and tapped with bevel haed screws in them. They are on the left side of the receiver, one before and one after the receiver openning. Were the receivers tapped at the factory?
Thanks, Jim.

·
Registered
818 Posts
69 is much scarcer,

it was made only two years. Supply and demand makes the 69 more expensive. Before the 69 there was the 57 that was similar. As for shooting the 69 I see nothing wrong with it, just keep the bolt well lubed to prevent wear. The 69 vs 69A argument is only my opinion. For $250 you can get a really nice 69A, since the 69 is scarcer I would lean more to collecting it and not putting lots of ammo thru it. Nothing wrong with taking it hunting every year. I have seen a fair number of used parts for the 69 at AuctionArms and E-Bay so repairs should not be a problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.