Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anbody got a clue on what a Winchester 790 is. Got a lead ona few rimfires for sale and not being familar with Winchester rimfires - thought I'd check with you fellews. The guy claims its in excellent shape - any idea on value?
Thanks

·
Registered
8,906 Posts
One of my buds has a 290 and is very happy with it, performs well, lightweight and nice looking. I'm not that familiar with the post-64 guns other than the 9422--snob that I am :p .

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well- just got of the phone with the guy. He still states a 790 but its an auto - old gun pre 64. Still does not pass the identity test. Said wanted 350 for it scoped. Or $600 for the Winchester, a Stevens 87A, and a JC Higgins Model 30. All are "mint" condition so he claims.
I may take a run and take a peek tomorrow as my curiousity has the best of me.
Any clues on the autos and numbers?

·
Registered
8,906 Posts
Model 03, 63, 74 and 77. Those are all the rimfire autos from Winchester pre-64. Probably another maker. I have an 87A Stevens, and love it. Just finished the wood redo to make it even nicer.
You are in for an adventure when you actually see those rifles, sounds like the guy doesn't know his guns that well, nor either his prices or percentages. Leverage for bargaining. Some people will stubbornly hold to their price AND their assessment of condition however, even with you standing there holding the guns yourself. Funny! Let us know what you discover. And if it IS a pre-64 Winchester model 790, make sure you bring bodyguards along for extra security on your way to the Bank. :p

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah - strange, the guy realy knows his centerfires and shotguns extremely well and has has very nice stuff. Not so much on the rimfires and says he has not shot them in years. I think my curiousity is going to take me for a a 25 mile trip -
The last thing I need is to haul three more rimfires home. Or even one for that matter.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Sometimes....

I just can't resist commenting, even when I know I shouldn't. Maybe call the guy and ask him to go over the printing on the barrel with a magnifying glass? How would he know it's a pre-64 if he doesn't know Win. never made a "790" in any one of the three different centuries they've been making guns? O.K., shutting up now, but do let us know what this "scoped, pre-64, semi-auto Win. .22" really is.........Asa

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I would have liked to challenged him over the phone a little bit more but figuared I"d rather check it out for myself. I am finding myself more interested in the JC Higgins Model 30 and the Stevens 87A at this point anyway. Can probably strike a better deal on those two than change a mind set about the value of a Winchester (that was never produced).
Either way, I think the trip is worth settling the curiousity. I'll probably start a new thread on the current value of those two. The auction sites have them pretty low.

·
Registered
8,906 Posts
Meanwhile we wish you'd get in that car and do the drive! :p Curiosity is at a peak right now---- "What is the Mystery Rifle?"
You might want to bring a couple of illustrated gun books with you when you go, to show this guy what it really is, as he may not otherwise believe it. And we all may learn something.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Meanwhile we wish you'd get in that car and do the drive! :p Curiosity is at a peak right now---- "What is the Mystery Rifle?"
You might want to bring a couple of illustrated gun books with you when you go, to show this guy what it really is, as he may not otherwise believe it. And we all may learn something.
Laughing - yeah - that in itself is enough to take the drive. Won't get back till this afternoon. Don't hold your breath on a new undiscovered Model number. If it ever existed, I'm sure those Winchester folks on here would have intricate knowledge on every aspect of it.
Its a nice enough day to take a drive and skip the gun range today.

Hey thanks for the info and advice so far.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well - lets just say it was a nice day for a drive. To end the curiousity the Winchester was a 190 and although in decent shape was nothing to write home about. Whats worse was the disappointment of the JC Higgiins and the Stevens. The were in bad shape. Get this the Higgins had a chunck out of the trigger guard, It was a left handed charging bolt and had a heck of time even drawing it back. Get this, when I released it - it crawled back into position.
It only got worse - the guy said he cleaned it with soap and water and then used dry lube. Said he really took care of them. I had a hard enough time from not choking and the amazement on my face probably said it all.
The stocks were even nicked pretty good. I think at best they may have been salvaged for parts after that comment - maybe.

I can honestly say that this was the worest expedition I have yet to encounter. Waste of range time and gas - but hey worth the time to satisfy my curiosity.
Sorry to dissappoint those who were hoping that Winchester had produced a one-up model 790 - still giggling.

·
Registered
8,906 Posts
I just can't reconcile how these usually otherwise well-meaning morons can claim "mint", have delusions of monetary grandeur, etc. What did he do--put the guns in his dishwasher--wood and all? Sounds like one of those guys I mentioned earlier, that make life hard for us collectors. They must be viewing objects from another universe when they are describing what they think they see in this one.
Sorry you wasted your time, but thanks for letting your gunpals here on RFC have "closure" :p . And if it's any consolation, if you don't have one of these wild goosegun chases every now and then you ain't trying hard enough!

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Sorry about the disappointment,Spurs. Thats the way it is with treasure hunts....sometimes treasure, sometimes trash. But the thrill is in the hunt,and there's always ''next time''. LOL RH

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for your kind and consoling words. I wish some of you had the pleasure of the conversation. It would have ranked right up there in the Chapter of Firearms Comedy. The soap and water comment almost put me over the top. Then to top it off the guy was name dropping a known smithy in the area. Said he could fix anything. I'm sure this guy had to use his services quite often! I was kinda giggling at the whole experience on the way home.
Stopped at the local gun shop and picked up a couple bricks of CCI Std and a brick of WOlf MT so the trip wasn't a complete bust. I guess your right when you say if you don't have a few of these experiences, you aren't trying hard enough. Seek and eventualy you shall find.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.