Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couple of years ago I bought a 77 at a garage sale for 50 dollars. Not a scratch on it, clean as a whistle inside and out. The thing has ejection problems and has been thru two gunsmiths who find nothing out of order and all parts look good. Anyone had similar situations with this older rifle out of the 60's and solved the problem? It's a beautiful thing but so far that's about it.

·
Registered
8,906 Posts
It's out of the 50's dude. And a very nice rifle. When the barrel is removed as part of the cleaning procedure, the extractor can be messed up if the barrel is twisted as it is forced out of the receiver. You have to pull it straight out or the extractor gets abused by the cut in the barrel pushing sideways on it. You may also check to see if the chamber is ovalized by too much dry-firing, which makes for both sticky extraction and problematic feeding. I would first take the bolt out of the action, completely tear it down, then---see if the extractor spring has been swapped with the firing pin spring, an infamous mistake that gives you the problem you have. The firing pin spring is blued, and is weaker than the extractor one, a thing you can test yourself, but they look otherwise the same. This is the likely culprit.
And you are crazy if you try this recipe without a good illustrated cookbook (manual)!

My goodwood 77.

·
Registered
50 Posts
If you're in metro-Atlanta, I'll be glad to take that off your hands for $50. More nostalgia than anything else.

It was the model my dad use to teach me to shoot.

Is your's a magazine feed or tubular?

Alf

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. It is tube fed. Right now it is at a smith's shop in Tallahassee. Last time I talked with him he was getting in a new set of springs. Hope to hell they are the answer to the problem. He and I both have a 77 "cookbook" with great illustrated and written instr. on how to and how not to do assembly and disassembly. These old rifles are beauties and were built when manufacturers were beginning to shift a few component parts from steel to nylon/plastic materials. In this case the trigger guards.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Model 77s

I could swing by Tallahassee to take this off your hand. ;-)

Mine is magazine fed. I have 7 magazines. The original owner (my dad) thought you should have enough magazine so you could load up one box of ammo at a time.

Just took mine to the range and it operated flawlessly. The uniqueness of the left handed bolt operating knob gets people's attention.

Hope the new spring gets your working again.

Alf

·
Registered
133 Posts
Shot mine for the first time last week, shot good with both CCI mini-mags and subsonics....super light tigger pull though. good luck....fun rifles

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.