Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Local shop has a 75T and 75 Sporter. The 75T is priced at $500 and the Sporter is priced at $475. I shold be able to get about %20 off of these prices Both rifles are at least 95%+ condition. The Sporter has a beautiful Tiger stripe stock. i have a few questions on each:
1) the 75T. Can it be determined what the year of production is from the serial number? This rifle is serial number 40XX. Also, did Winchester use their own sights on these? The rear peep sight has no name that I can see. And unlike other sights I'm accustomed to seeing, this rear sight is mounted to a rail on which the sight can travel forward and aft as though to adjust eye relief. Does this sound like the Olympic sights that call for a 25% add on prce in the Blue Book? Also, the aperture front sight also appears different. Rather than being cylinder shaped like most the others I have seen, this is shaped like a rural mailbox. It's at least 1" high and is attached by a thumbwheel. Its aperature is removable. Thanks for any help on this.
2) The Sporter has been drilled and tapped for a scope, and includes a mounted Bushnell scope. How badly does this decrease the rifles value?

Thanks for any help, Jim.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JimH, The bluing on the Sporter is excellent. The rifle appears all original. The stock is truly breathtaking as far as the tiger striping. The finish on the stock appears to be some type of satin/matte poly, very smooth. Does this sound like the original stock finish?
I have heard that the Sporter is as accurate as the 75 Target. Do you have a Sporter? Does it have any weak areas?
Thanks, Jim.

·
Registered
595 Posts
TH,my wife has a 75 Sporter . I haven't shot it much,as I just got it for a Christmas gift for her ,but with Wolf MT and SK Subsonic it seemed to want to shoot .5-.7" groups at 50 yrds.If the gun has the original magizine,with Winchester on the bottom it would be a plus as these go for 50-60$.All in all it sounds like a good deal.Good Shooting,Jim.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I'm at work, away from my books now, but I do recall the value listed in the Gun Trader's Guide is much higher for the Sporter than the Target. I guess they made fewer Sporters? I have the Target, made in 1940. I did verify this by the serial number.
Mine came with the blade front sight, but I have installed the globe sight from a Stevens 416 - it does have the 'mailbox' shape, but the 'thumbwheel' doesn't ring any bells. Mine was originally scoped, having been drilled & tapped for Weaver bases. I have installed the Lyman 57 peepsight. That sight you mention sounds like a certain type of sight for the Winchester 52 - I bid on one at Auction Arms but lost out.
If the 75T is stamped 'US Property', this would enhance it's value too.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Win 75

I have a 75 Sporter. The proper receiver sight is the Lyman 57E. The Target version used the Lyman 57EW. It sits higher to accomodate the higher front sight. Not all Sporters came with a receiver sight.

My only complaint with my Sporter is the lack of trigger adjustment; mine is on the heavy side, and I've always had trouble finding someone to work on it. I've been told the hardening on the trigger and firing pin is quite thin, and you don't want to stone thru it.

·
Registered
736 Posts
75T & 75S

Jim;

The sights used on the 75T were the Win. 84A or the Lyman 58E rear receiver, and the Lyman 77 front aperture sight. The rifles made for the U.S. Army had a Lyman 57 rear receiver sight and, I believe, a post front sight. They had a parkerized finish and were marked "US PROPERTY".

The one you describe sounds like a commercial rifle with the Win 84A rear sight.

If you can buy them at those prices, run, don't walk to get them both before they are gone.

The only major fault with them is that they are no longer made.

Mac 1.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mac 1, The 75T is a commercial version. Did the 84a rear sight attach to a rail rather than directly to the receiver? Any way to determine production date from the serial number, 40xx.
Do you truly feel that they are that good of a deal because of pricing or because they are hard to find?
Thanks, Jim.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
BigMike,

Sharpe and West both list the 75 production starting in 1939. Either way, 40xx would be a 1st year production.

TH,

The finish doesn't sound correct on the 75S. I would get advise from someone who can tell if the metal and wood are correct before I paid that amount unless you are not worried about resale.

The 75T's are nice rifles but if you want a real shooter I would hold out for a 52C. Prices are still reasonable on these but are starting to go up.

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
M75 Dates

Sav99age,

Both dates quoted are a direct "cut-and-paste" from the Site noted for Winchester dates of manufacture...! ! :eek:

My Sharpe book ["The Rifle In America", 3rd Ed.] doesn't even list the M75...! ! :eek:

S. P. Fjestad shows 1938 - 1958 for the M75 Target.

As you have noted, 40XX is a first year production gun...! !

·
Registered
736 Posts
75's

Jim;

Just after I typed my reply to your post last night the site crashed for a time, so will do it again.

Now that BigMike has provided the mfg. date, which I suspected was an early production, we can get to the sights.

My 1946 (?) Stoeger catalog lists them as being offered with the Win. 84A extension rear peep with 1/4 minute ele./wind. adjustments and an Win. 99A scope height front aperature sight w/extra inserts on their "standard" rifle.

They offered another sight option which was; Lyman 58E receiver sight and Lyman 77 front aper. sight at an extra cost.

The Win. 84A rear consists of a base which attaches to the left rear of the receiver with two screws. There is a round transverse beam which slides in the base fore and aft, I believe. It's position is secured by a thumb screw on top of the base. The rear sight assy. is itself mounted on this beam by a thumbscrew.

Both systems are very good sights. I think the additional 25% for "Olympic" sights refers to the Redfield Olympic rear/front sight combo. This is a higher grade sight system and is an aftermarket add on/option.
Mac 1.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all of the kind responses. I'm always awed by the wealth of information on the board.
Does a first year production date enhance value or collector desirability?
SAV99age, what sounds incorrect about the wood finish on the Sporter. Or should I phrase it, How would you describe the wood finish on the 75 Sporter?
What struck me as noticably different about the finish was the texture was so smooth. No surface variation showed through the finish for the difference in the wood's grain.
I would not want to buy the Sporter with a incorrect finish/refinish and not be able to resell for at least what I paid.
Thanks, Jim.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've shot my sporter 75 since the middle 80's. It is super accurate for squirrels and such.{me not being worth a darn at target shooting,] I really shouldn't comment on the, but I will say some of my buddies around here own the 75 T and the sporter will out shoot them, even on targets. {that might depend on the man shooting them} my sporter has a lyman 57E and a lyman 77 front. At any rate the price sounds within bounds.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.