Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Winchester Produced Two Different 697's. One With No Sight Cuts Anywhere On The Gun. That Is Known As The True 697. The Other Was A Parts Clean Up Version With A Sight Cut On The Reciever With Blank Installed. And Really Is Just As Good To Collectors As The Other One. All A 697 Is, Is A 69 With No Iron Sights. No, They Were Not Marked 697. Just 69. Not Made In A 69a. Made From 1937-1941. About 2100 Scoped 69's And 697's Were Produced. Also Made In A No Sight Version Was The 67---aka-677, And A No Sight 72-- Aka- 727. The "7" That Was Added Stood For 1937. About 1400 67's Scoped Were Produced And The Number Of 72's I Have Not Been Able To Find Anywhere In The 20 Yrs. I've Been Chasing These Scoped Guns. I Personally Love These Scoped Guns And Have Hard Core Collectors From Across The Country Eyeballing For Me. Have Close To 30 So Far.the One On Gunsamerica Is On The Pricey Side. 697's Can Be Had For As Low As $12oo-$1500. But I've Paid More!?!? All The Scoped Guns Are Extremely Rare And Hard To Come By. If Any One Finds One And Needs To Ask Questions I Have All The Info On Block Spacing, Block Sizes, Etc.... All Factory Info Abtained Years Ago. Feel Free To E-mail.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Great Answer.

That is great information, as always.
Just to make sure I understand, if the 697 on GA does not have the dovetail for the front sight, it's a true 697 of the "parts cleanup variety."

Can you recommend any goods books that cover these? (accurately)
Have you thought about writing one?

I don't think I'll ever have 30 of them in my safe.

Thanks again for the info!!

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
another scoped listed rifle today.......

on GunsAmerica:

Model Name: Model 68 WRF
Price : $1,395.00
Seller : PETE'S TRADING POST
Description:
Another hard to find gun.Its a 68 22 WRF with all factory options.It has Winchester 5x scope,blocks and Winchester rings!The gun is at least 95%,and beautiful.FFL or C&R.SHI $30
Click this link to contact seller:
http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976580616.htm
(There is NO photo for the listing yet.)

·
Registered
607 Posts
Winchester catalog quotes

Hi fellows,

I thought you might like to see what the 1939 Winchester catalog has to say about the Model 697. I quote:"This is the regular Winchester Model 69 6-shot repeating rifle but without metallic sights and instead equipped with either Winchester 2 3/4 power or 5 power light-weight telescope sight. Both are moderate in cost, yet efficient for fine long range field shooting. Telescope sight is detachable, its mounts engaging sight bases permanently fitted on the barrel. This rifle, with its telescope sight, superior new bolt action and finely accurate barrel--together with convenient size and light weight--opens up a new high standard of enjoyment of fine all-around .22 rim fire rifle shooting. Ideal squirrel rifle. Weight with 'scope about 5 3/4 lbs."

The catalog goes on to say, under the heading "OTHER TELESCOPE-SIGHT RIFLES", the following:"Model 677 is the regular Winchester Model 67 single shot rifle but without metallic sights and instead equipped with a Winchester 2 3/4 power or 5 power telescope sight. Mount bases on the barrel engage the telescope-sight mounts precisely the same as on the Model 697.

Besides the above rifles, Winchester telescope-sight .22 rim fires are also furnished as follows: Model 67 or 69, complete with regular metallic sights and also a 2 3/4 power or 5 power telescope sight. Or Model 68 with 5 power telescope only. The telescope sight bases and mounts are so made that the sights can be used interchangeably--metallic for quick short range shots, teslescope for extra fine sighting and long range."

The catalog further goes on to say that the Models 67 and 68 can be had chambered for .22 Short, Long and Long Rifle, interchangeably, or for .22 WRF only. There is no .22 WRF chambering shown available for the Model 69 or 697. So that means that it was possible to purchase a scoped Model 67 or 68 in .22 WRF original from Winchester, but not a Model 69 or 697.

I hope you all find this information, "straight from the horse's mouth", as it were, of interest.

Hossfeathers

·
Registered
607 Posts
A further look

A further look at the 1939 Winchester pocket catalog reveals that the tubular magazine Model 72 was also available in a variety of sight combinations, as follows:"...full length. Sights: Choice of two combinations of metallic sights: (1) Winchester No. 32C open rear sight with sliding elevator, and Winchester No. 75c sporting front sight with bright, non-tarnishable metal bead. (2) Winchester No. 80A peep sight with graduated elevation and windage adjustment; No. 97B non-tarnishable metal bead front sight, on non-glare ramp base, with cover, as illustrated. Also furnished in six other styles according to sight equipment--with telescope sight and with or without metallic sights. Quick take down by coin slotted screw in forearm. Weight about 5 3/4 lbs.".

Hossfeathers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.