Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings to all. First time poster.

I'm looking for some help/education. I recently picked up a pre-war Winchester 61 and have been trying to locate information about aftermarket tang sights.

I looked in R.L. Wilson's book "Winchester" and none of the 61's had tang sights. I looked at AuctionArms, GunBroker and GunsAmerica, none of the 61's had tang sights.

I have seen a few setup with receiver sights but, I have no more desire to drill and tap for one of those, than I do to have the receiver grooved for a scope.

Can anyone share with me the names/model numbers of period correct tang sights? If you have pictures, I'm sure there are others, besides myself who would love to see them.

Thanks in advance. God bless.

· Registered
2,248 Posts
My reference is "Old Gunsights" by Nick Stroebel.He lists the Lyman No.W61 and Marble's No.W15 as tang sights for the Winchester Model 61.I can't do pictures.

· Registered
512 Posts
Boley Is Correct On The Tang Numbers. Rarely You Will See The Sights On Ebay. The Lyman's I've Seen (only 2) On Ebay Went For Over $300.00. The Marbles Of Which I've Only Seen 1 On Ebay Went For $280.00. My Friend Just Bought One 98% With The Box, Papers And Screws For $250.00. Hard Sights To Find!

· Registered
602 Posts
Possible sources for Model 61 Tang sight

Hi 3rdbuttondown,

Finding an old, original tang sight for the Winchester Model 61 is a long term, difficult, expensive task. The one I have on my Model 61 I bought for $175 about 6 years ago from Garry Fellers, the big time sight/scope guy from Texas [phone (817) 346-9633]. Also, the Stroebel book on Old Gunsights has a list of 9 other providers of old, original gunsights shown in the front of the book. Try to get hold of a copy and take a look.

Besides the Lyman and Marble models related by others above, keep an eye out for the even rarer tang sights made by the King Gun Sight Company (#200W) and the Redfield Gun Sight Corporation (#W-8). I have never personally seen examples of either of these particular sights, but the old catalogs do show them listed.

I have a brand new in the box Marble W15 that I am holding on to hoping that the right Model 61 comes along sometime before I push up daisys.

Hossfeathers ;)

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all of you for your responses. I guess understand why I can't find a picture of one of these sights.

Finding a sight will become my "Holy Grail."
This is a really clean '35 or '36. Bought it at an indoor shooting range that carters to the handgun crowd.

Second one I've bought from them. They said a guy came in looking to sell a few guns for cash. It was his grandfathers and it killed him to part with it but, he needed cash in a bad way. I feel his pain, I've been there but, it found a good home.

Last one I bought there was a trade-in on a handgun. '56 groove top w/a 4x Redfield. Not as clean, few small patches of light surface rust, sling studs, trigger shoe. No doubt, someones squirrel gun. For what I paid, the scope was a freebie.

For some reason, this shop has never been educated about pre'64 Winchester's collectability and I hope it stays that way. I would never buy a handgun there because they are overpriced but, I can't walk away from the deals I gotten on these 61's. I would expect them to go for $100 - $200 more anywhere else!

Thanks for your help. God Bless.
3rdbuttondown

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.