Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a hunter and plinker and the 52 sounds like an ideal gun. The originals sell for big bucks. Who makes the best sporter Win. 52 replicas and how much should I pay? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Gardener-

The new release 52 was dropped from the USRAC website last year. Not much chance of finding a new one- there are still a few NIB's on the net auctions, but pricing has become very extreme. Best bet would be keeping an eye out for a used one in excellent condition. Prices range generally between $500-$650.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
736 Posts
Win. 52's:

Happy;

To my knowledge Miroku in Japan is the only mfgr. of the Browning or Winchester 52 sporting rifle clones. A fine rifle in and of itself.

Shop and get the best deal you can find. Either NIB or used.

In this same vein, does anyone have any information on one marked as "Utah Centennial 1896-1996"? Also has in the serial # "UT" as a part of the number.

Mac 1.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Don't know what they bring today, but in spring 02, I picked up a mint condition 52D target model for $800, not too far off what the reissue sells for. Magnificent rifle - very accurate, great balance, terrific 2 stage trigger. I tend to trade one or two guns off every year for something new, but the 52D is a keeper, I'll never sell it.

Last fall, I saw a bull barrel 52D at the Louisville gun show for $600 - the stock was a bit scruffy looking, but the action and bore were excellent.

So it might be worth keeping an eye out for a D or E model.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I just purchased a NIB model 52 off gunsamerica with rings and bases for $550.00. I havent had a chance to shoot it yet. It sure is a beautiful rifle.

I did see several used or new in box 52's in searching for the one I purchased. Careful the site is addictive.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Winchester 52 Sporter replica...

I ordered one from GunsAmerica and it arrived today. 2 - 5 round mags, Leupold rings and bases and I paid $500.00 plus shipping. It is a beauty in 95%+ condition. Such a sweet trigger, can't wait to get to the range this weekend. Only problem is I can't figure out how to get the bolt out. Anyone out there have the answer? Thanks for your help in advance, Brad

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Brad--Work the action to cock the rifle--then pull the trigger to snap it on an empty chamber or fired case, of course--then with your thumb against the back of the trigger--push the trigger forward and hold it while pulling rearward on the bolt to take it out of the receiver. When re=installing the bolt you will need to stick something into the reciever to push the sear down to let the bolt pass over it. You will see what I mean when you look into the action just back on the ejection port--if you stick your finger in there you can feel the sear sticking up. BTW--I have two of these rifles--I paid 425.00 for one NIB and 500.00 for the other (low serial #) They are terrific. I also have and original and the new ones are as good as the originals--at least mine are.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Thanks Kent...

I seemed to remember from previous posts that was the answer but didn't know the whole process. The originals, when seen, are too pricey for me, but nice to look at. At least this one, I won't be too afraid to take it out in the woods. If it shoots as well as it looks and feels, I have a winner. We'll see this weekend. Thanks again, Brad

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Dry firing the Model 52

As I stated in an earlier post I too just purchased a NIB 52. The owners manual says to dry fire the gun to remove the bolt. I am assuming the gun was designed in such a way to not damage the firing pin or anything else? I believe your able to dry fire a Kimber rimfire too. Now I haven't removed the bolt yet. I thought I would check with everyone first.

Thanks

Shawn

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Brad--
Your rifle will work just as well as an original 52--and I agree they are too pricey. I figured they would come down in price when the re-issues came out, but I don't think they did. There are a lot of great rifles out there at this time. Kimbers, Coopers, Anschutz, CZ's, and several others I'm sure. We are lucky to have so many great rimfires to choose from--much like accoustic guitars--the woods are full of good ones!! That's nice.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Re: Dry firing the Model 52

shawn1885 said:
As I stated in an earlier post I too just purchased a NIB 52. The owners manual says to dry fire the gun to remove the bolt. I am assuming the gun was designed in such a way to not damage the firing pin or anything else? I believe your able to dry fire a Kimber rimfire too. Now I haven't removed the bolt yet. I thought I would check with everyone first.

Thanks

Shawn
.....NO don't dry fire the gun......to get the bolt out or to let the bolt uncock just raise the bolt handle and then pull the trigger and hold it back and lower the bolt handle the firing pin will follow down and gently come to rest in the non cocked position and won't hit the chamber edge with any force.....this has worked on a bunch of the 52's I've had and was shown to me by a gunsmith......ONLY ON EMPTY CHAMBERS ....just in case..........I love my repo 52 Browning and have a real 52C also but have more fun with the new one cause I don't have to be so careful with it.....enjoy the gun and good luck and good shooting!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.