Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am confused with the different barrel diameters manufactured over the years for the Winchester 52 in all its varied iterations...

Can someone help me clarify between standard, target, bull, heavy, and sporter???

Thanks

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
M52 Barrel Diameters

DeBee,

FWIW, there is very little out there in the general gun books on the M52 barrel dimensions.....! ! :(

If you were to get your hands on Herbert G. Houze's excellent reference book, "The Winchester Model 52: Perfection in Design", I am sure it is covered in there....! ! :)

Here is what I know:
Barrels by weight (or diameter), light to heavy:
0 Sporter, 24"
0 Standard
0 Target
0 Heavy Target
0 Bull

There may have even been others....! ! :eek:

The Bull barrel is 1.125" at the receiver, and .875" at the muzzle.

The Heavy Target is 1.000" at the receiver, and .875" at the muzzle.

Hope this helps....! ! :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Houze book is pretty good. I ordered it especially from Amazon for $25 for my gunsmithing library...

Unfortunately, little coverage is given to barrel diameters or weights or tapers or lack there of...

Some consideration is given to barrel steels- nickel steel, Winchester Proof steel, et al.

I would have also liked to see blueprints of every single part- but hey, I must be dreaming. Lots of pictures but it deals more with development and design progress throught the years. I'm starting my own notes to go with the book...

I need to know the diameters because I want to find a stock replacement.

Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.