Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for information on a Wichester 22A .22LR rifle. All I really know is that it is an old model, has a 5 shot magazine, and peep sights.
I am not even sure this is the right model number but that is what my father told me. It looks very similar to the Winchester Model 57B.
Any information where I could find out more about the gun would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
The Win 72A is a tube feed bolt action repeater. Better chance to be at 69A "Target" model. There's a couple of them on Auction Arms or Gunbroker with the rear peep. Nice rifles. I have two 69A's, not target models but nice shooters anyway. One way to tell the M69's and 75's from other Win bolt repeaters, is their magazine release is a recessed metal button in left side of stock, above and between triggerguard and magazine. If I can find one of the auction listings, I'll post a link to the pic. Regards,

·
Registered
769 Posts
That's Right

They all use the same receiver and I mix them up. The Lyman peep for the 69A is the 57EW, there is also a less expensive Winchester peep but I forgot the number. There were some 69A match grade rifles with the Lyman peep and a German trigger. I saw one with my own two eyes. The bottom line is the 69,72 and 75 plus their variations are quality guns. Owners like myself like the accuracy, ability to digest all kinds of ammo and the vintage styling. They are classics made in the USA. A modern classic, the Leupold RF Special would go very nice on the grooved receiver types.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Standard M69A

Nobody,
Winchester Mod. 69A TARGET? .22 Rifle
Note the "?".... :confused:

That is not a M69A "Target"...! ! :(

I believe the rifle pictured is a standard M69A with the Win 96B rear aperture sight and the Win front 97A hooded sight. The "Target" model had a slightly heavier barrel, a Lyman 57E rear aperture sight and a globe front sight (?).

The rifle pictured is exactly what I owned as a youth...! ! :cool:

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
BigMike -

You're quite right (as usual). I was merely trying to quote the ad and didn't even get the quote correct :( . I have enough trouble trying to post properly. Had to try three times to get the URL to post. Think I need a tutorial on proper use of this computer :eek: . I have yet to learn how to use all the little boxes in the vB Code?? I'm getting better but I'd probably be better off just reading the forum and not trying to post much.

Re the 69A's and various models. I have two of the standard A's with barrel mounted sights. I've seen models like the one on Gunbroker, but have never actually laid eyes on a Target model. Missed a buy on a later model with grooved receiver last month. I've gotten to the age where my eyesight has "gone south" and need a scope for most of my shooting. Hate to D&T any of my nice old rimfires that aren't already, but still like to play with them so I'm always on the lookout for grooved or D&T models.

Thanks for correction on the model designations :t .

Regards,

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Winchester 69A

Thanks for your help. I initially thought the gun was a 22A because that is what my father told me. What years were the guns manufactured? Any more information or a website where I could get more information would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Nobody,

Don't feel bad.....! ! :eek: :D

Even the guy who is selling it doesn't even know, but, at least he is admitting to that...! ! ;)

In all my years of looking at rifles, I 'think' maybe I saw one, but, it could have been a 'home grown' "Target", seeing they usually command about 40% to 50% more than the "Standard" with the Win peep...! ! :eek:

Posting URL's:
1. Highlite the URL in the "Address" line of your browser; I usually have two browsers going [RFC on one and the 'other' Site on the other]. ;)
2. Hit CTRL C to COPY [to your notepad][you won't see anything, but, it is there].
3. Click on the box above the blank reply screen marked "http://".
4. The first window that appears is for a "title" like: "Win M69A"; then click OK.
5. Now it is looking for the URL you have copied onto your notepad; just hit CTRL V to PASTE the URL into the box, and click on OK.

You will have a made a hyper text title: "WIN M69A", and if you or anyone clicks on it, it will take them to the GunBroker Site and the Auction for the M69A....! ! :cool:

OK, go and have a cool one...... :D :D

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
SEARCH

slinky21497,

Do a SEARCH of RFC for "M69A", or "69A", and it will pull-up all the previous threads. It has been discussed at length several times, with stats, years, prices, etc.. :)

Happy hunting..... ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.