Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just looking around to stock up on a few bricks of bulk .22 ammo while it is on sale around here. The American Eagle 38-gr HP's are $7.99/400, and the 36-gr Xperts are $8.50/500. I know that my CZ likes the AE's, but haven't tried the Xperts yet. Any opinions? What velocities and expansion are you getting with them? Thanks.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Xperts shoot pretty well in my bolt guns, but they tend to jam in my 10/22s. Accuracy is not too bad for el-cheapo ammo. They have a big hollow point and are a good squirrel getter. Buy a box and see if they shoot well in your guns. What have you got to loose? I mean, they go bang, so you can always do what Chief says and give them to your friends.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
They do very well in my 77/22's
Not the best or the worst.
They do jam a lot in 10/22's at least
mine.
Very few FTF's.

·
Registered
16,533 Posts
I found that if you take a real sharp knife and make a cut down into the lead, you can take a pair of pliers and crimp them on your line for split shot when you're crappie fishing....

...none of my guns like them, but you might get lucky...who knows without trying?

Ron

·
Registered
364 Posts
Bottom of the barrel fodder, I won't buy them again. If your gun likes AE's stick with them. Next move up is to K-Mart Winchester Dynapoints at $13 for 500, good deal.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Powder charge varaition in these is possibly the worst I have ever seen.

I seen a brick bought recently from a K-Mart that had at least 200 rounds in the brick that had no powder charge at all.

Only the priming bearly pushed the round downrange.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
A horrid waste of lead, priming mix, powder & brass :mad:
(sigh)
warren

·
Registered
994 Posts
They're a bit more accurate than the Federal, and much better than the Rem. I tried. I don't remember any duds until I got a couple in the most recent box. Never had any that sounded underpowered. I don't know about 10/22s but they worked OK in the AR-15 conversion kit.

Don't have a chrono, but the difference between them and the Federal on water-filled soda cans is quite noticable, no doubt due to the huge HP.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Xpert is craptastic! I've never had more flyers than with the Win Xpert (and I normally like Win ammo). The only ammo I hate more is Remington (all of it, not just the rimfire stuff. There guns have gone downhill as well, IMHO.)

·
Registered
84 Posts
My Ruger .22 pistolas love the 36gr. For some reason they'll group better than the Rem. or Feds.or Win 40gr. The CCI Green Tag does better, but not enough to warrant the excessive price. My Rem rifles prefer Win S/X CB's over CCI's:confused:. I've never had a FTF; just lucky I guess.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Winchester Xperts are right down there with Remington at the bottom of the list. If you are looking for decent cheap ammo, Federal Lightnings are awfully hard to beat, at least in my guns.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I bought a case of 500 from Wally World....what a stupid mistake. I only ended up shooting about 100 rounds - EVERY SINGLE ONE JAMMED in my BRAND NEW RIFLE!. Not to mention, it was spitting sparks out, black smoke, smelled bad, the list goes on. My best luck so far has been with the CCI Green Tags. Had 2 jams out of 100 rounds.

My advice: spend a little more, get a lot more.

XXL

·
Registered
26 Posts
Re: Re: Win. Xperts

sodblaster said:
What 'cha shootin'? I'm not being nosey; I just 'wanna be well informed.:rolleyes: A 10/22?:confused:
Sorry about the lack of info - I was kinda tired. Anyhow, it's a Ruger 10/22 - nothing fancy. The Winchester X-perts were gross - that's the only word for it. I've had great luck with CCI green tag, and despite what I've heard around here about Remington, I had great luck with some of their stuff too (I don't remember the model, just that it came in a square plastic container, like the CCI. Cost about $5/100 rds).

Let me know if you have any other questions!

XXL

·
Registered
116 Posts
I guess I got lucky on the Experts. About 3 weeks ago, I picked up a box of Experts at Wal Mart. Later, I was reading this exact post, and figured that I had wasted 8 bucks. This past weekend, I took them out and figured I would just try to get rid of them. I shot about half a carton, and they shot perfect in my 2 10/22's, (1 blue, 1 SS), and 2 MK 512's. I was chrono'ing some ammo, and the Experts shot FASTER than the Win 40 gr Super X, and as fast as the Win 36 gr HP Super X, Rem 36 gr bulk, Mini Mags. I had not one problem. They grouped just fine at 35 yards, which is where I have my squirrel rifles sighted in at. I am going to keep on shooting them. The last bulk 22 ammo I got was the Remington Golden bullet ammo at Wal Mart. These fed fine in my 10/22's, but would not feed in my Marlin 881.

This is just my results, YMMV.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.