Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Long story, but have a win 52, s/n 369xx, links say it was built in 1936, it has two scope blocks attached and a front sight with a block on it. The trigger does not have all the nice adjustments I've seen posted on other threads, so I assume its not the micro-motion trigger. The trigger has two springs one behind the trigger and one forward which bears against the reciever itself, it breaks clean at 2 1/2 lbs, appears to have an adjustment screw that is adj'ed after removing the bolt and turning a screw from the open end of the reciever.The Barrel is not a bull, looks like a heavy sporter. The receiver has a large dovetail cut into the rear and a pc in it with a hole in the middle, I assume this was the mounting for a target sight to match with the two D&T holes on the side, this all looks factory as the block inside the dovetail has the patent dates etc on it. I looked at the underside of the bbl and it has an "32." (includes a triangle mark) "22 long R CMS." the Bbl is 28" long from crown to chamber.
The reciever underside has a rectangular slot ahead of the trigger, which appears to be a slot for a mag. someone had filled in the stock to make it appear as a single shot, But if it was a single shot would it not have some form of ramp for that purpose built into the reciever?
I bought this thing in pcs as a guy was parting it out, so I bought it all, its put together and works well (not shot yet, no scope/sights), stock is bad. Anyway, if someone could point me in the right direction, that would be nice, i.e. what model is it, as I would like to put the right stock on it and use a mag if that is what it is suppose to have.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Serial

From what I understand , the 52's have the model no in the serial ...

EG/ 121xxxD 141xxxE 71xxxC 51xxxB 43xxxA and any serial without a letter [ model no ] is a Pre model A ...... Pre model A also from what I understand are made from softer steel , so are not popular for converting to BR guns , and some advize against hyper velocity ammo ...

Thats about all I know ....

Matt

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I don't have my Win mod 52 handy, but from what I remember, you have a mod 52 pre-A "speed lock" with a "target barrel" or what is referred to now a "heavy sporter" barrel ... The"dovetail" you describe cut in the top of the receiver was designed to accept the ladder sight, (military type & similar to '03), originally installed on on 52 pre-A's ... Someone, by your description, converted from magazine fed to single shot ...

Occasionly, used 52 stocks appear for sale on eBay ... Two versions of 52 pre-A exist, the "slow lock" and "speed lock" versions, each is the same in appearance, but the inletting differs ... You require a "speed lock" stock, unless you want to proform inletting to allow the "can" containing the trigger mech. to fit into the stock immediately ...

The 52 pre-A's were all magazine fed and could adapted to single shot as many were ...

In 1938 Win redesigned the mod 52 and the actions thereafter are the ones sort after for conversion to BR rifles ...

Original 52 "speed locks" of that vintage and in good condition are occasionly seen for sale on the various auction sights ... You might check there for price ?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks Guy's,
That helped alot. Would my rifle use a sporter style stock or was it a target stock? could I put a micro-motion trigger on it? I have the target type stocks, but would have to order a sporter style. I further assume it had a safety on the right side, which I am missing.
Good or bad, I have about $400 in and want to make it a shooter, doesn't sound like this one to make a serious shooter out of, but I'm going for it. I plan to stick with target rounds, without getting way out there what scope/mounts would work well. People with parts etc.

Thanks all

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
The rifle originally had a sporter weight stock, (military style), w/o pistol grip ...

Your present trigger, with some tuning is more than sufficient ... An original "micro-motion" trigger, if you can find one, will cost a little more than half of what your rifle restored will be worth ? Thus, I'd live with the trigger that's there ... Micro-motion triggers were only "factory supplied" with only "a portion of" the 52-C's produced ...

Yes, the safety was to the rear, on the left side of the receiver ...

52 pre A's are pretty decent shooters ... You'd be shooting "a piece of history" and accurate even by todays standards ... I've owned and shot several over the past few years ... "Heavy barreled" 52B's and later models are more desirable and accurate ...

$400.00 is a little more than I'd want in the rifle you describe, but then, if you can re-stock and install a safety for $100.00, you won't loose any money on the restoration ? ? ?

Good luck with your project :t

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Could someone tell me the difference between a model 52 stock and a model 75 stock, I have a 52 and to my best, its in a 75 target stock, is this done with a little work??

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
615 Posts
I have an early US 75 t and a 52 pre-A...the stocks are similar in some ways but it would seem unusual to put a 52 in a 75 stock...I'll see if I can't find a picture.
I'm in Florence and work Saturday's at a gunshop in town...if your up this way one weekend bring it by the shop and we'll look at it.
Dwight

·
Registered
615 Posts
Pdwight said:
If it is the same gun that I saw. A man had it over his shoulder walking around with it asking questions at different tables. I could never get a chance to talk with him.

Dwight P
Dwight I can't believe you would let someone walk around with a 75t and not get a chance to talk to him...Something doesn't sound right. :)
Dwight

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ALL,
For those on rimfire central, please note there are (for real) two Dwight's in NW, Al, I met both of them. If you haven't figured it out yet, they are both articulate, knowlegable gentlemen, who it was pleasure to meet and talk to. I am also glad to know men like these are in this area! I really appreciated all your help, McBendy Elbow Thank You! I will start a new thread with pic as we have challenges to go on this rifle.

Thanks
scro1

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.