Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been buying (and getting pretty good results with) Federal Champion HV ammo (#510, the repackaged Lightnings) from WalMart.
I went to my favorite local volume ammo dealer yesterday to stock up on assorted rimfires, including a couple of bricks of Champions. Only when I got home did I realize that these Champions are Standard Velocity, not the HV rounds I was expecting.
Naturally, Federal's own website doesn't list any #5035, and I haven't seen or heard any previous reference to this round. I can only assume this loading was just introduced.
Is anyone familiar with this ammo? If so, what are your impressions?
Any info will be appreciated.

·
36,633 Posts
I've been shooting the 510 from my T/C classic and KMK678GC (Ruger Slabsides) and getting really excellent results.

T/C 1/2" with occasional flier @ 50 yds (shot several smaller yesterday)

Ruger .6 to .75 or so for 10 shot groups @ 25 yds

This was 510 that cost $6.80 a brick at Academy

·
Registered
836 Posts
Daniel said:
I've been buying (and getting pretty good results with) Federal Champion HV ammo from WalMart.
I went to my favorite local volume ammo dealer yesterday to stock up on assorted rimfires, including a couple of bricks of Champions. Only when I got home did I realize that these Champions are not the HV rounds I was expecting.
Naturally, Federal's own website doesn't list any #5035, and I haven't seen or heard any previous reference to this round. I can only assume this loading was just introduced.
Is anyone familiar with this ammo? If so, what are your impressions?
Any info will be appreciated.

Daniel,

Federal "Champion" has been around for a long time. It's premium brand brother is "Classic". Yes same family but with out the copper washed coating. From the pic you show they repackaged it to look nicer. If you look at the specs it should be identical. They're comparable to Remington's "Golden Bullet". It's younger inexpensive brother is "Thunderbolt" with out the copper washing.

wmrimfire,22

·
Registered
193 Posts
"Champion" is more of a line of ammunition,rather than a specific loading like the old "Lightnings". The bulk copper washed hollow points are now called "Champions",as are the lubed lead 500rd individually packed HV 40gr solids that used to be called Lightnings. Now apparently they're also using branding standard velocity ammo under that line.
I bet that 5035 ammo will shoot fine as most standard velocity target ammo does.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Note that the only Standard Velocity load listed on Federal's site is the Gold Medal.
I haven't paid much attention to their full line of .22s, but it looks like until now Federal only offered a "match-grade" SV load; perhaps this is their introduction of a cheaper load for "casual" target shooters. Maybe it's the substandard Gold Medal production, just as CCI's SV is said to be Green Tag that fails to meet its standards.
I won't have an opportunity to shoot any of this until Monday, and I'm hoping for great results from a couple of 10/22s and a Remington 581.

Thanks for all the comments.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The 5035 load is loaded to standard velocity, and the 510 is a high velocity load. The 5035 is the old "champion" load of years past. I have shot a few bricks of #5035 thru a few of my guns. If the wind is calm, it shoots half inch groups with regularity. Once the wind picks up, they take a beating. I say give them a try, you might just find a lot number that suits one of your guns. I have tried two different lot numbers, and some of my guns prefer one lot over the other.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.