Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Will the 9422 Shoot .22 Shorts?

2428 Views 10 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  AK
I would kind of like the ability to use shorts as well as long and long rifle. I've read some conflicting information. Could it, perhaps, be possible on older models? Have they ever been able to accomodate .22 shorts?

...Chuck Darney
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Premium Member
30,593 Posts
The older 9422s were marked s,l,lr. The newer ones are marked l,lr. I don't think that there is any difference in the two, but I am not sure. I have examples of both and I can't notice any difference. I would like to know if there is a difference and why they would change the gun.

· Premium Member
2,679 Posts
Just repeating what I've heard, but I believe the newer ones are exactly the same as the old ones. They just removed the "s" from the barrel markings because you can run into problems with the chamber fouling if you shoot a lot of shorts. It's always been that way, but now companies are more careful.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks very much. I wouldn't want to shhot many shorts. It's just that the feral cats are getting out of hand and the neighbors probably wouldn't even notice the "cap gun" sound of the shorts.

...Chuck

· Registered
44 Posts
If you want it quiet by a box of CCI cb longs as they are about the quiests 22 round that you can find. Its about as loud as a air rifle . The shorts are usually louder. just be close to the target as the slower speed also means less impact energy. 10-15 yds max.

Bamajohn

· Registered
132 Posts
I have been using Remington and CCI cb's and shorts in my 9422 on the gophers that have infested my yard. Neighbors don't hear it and neither do the gophers. It works fine. Mine is an early, 1973, rifle and is marked for the shorts, but if nothing else, try it and see. The ammo is cheap and you really can't hurt anything shooting them.

Fast Ed

· Registered
6 Posts
I just picked up my new 9422 this past week and wondered the same thing. I fed it about 10 or so CB shorts and had one malfunction. Other than that, they fed fine. The manual reccomends against feeding it shorts, but I plan on putting CBs through it occassionally.

· Registered
568 Posts
harm152 said:
I just picked up my new 9422 this past week and wondered the same thing. I fed it about 10 or so CB shorts and had one malfunction. Other than that, they fed fine. The manual reccomends against feeding it shorts, but I plan on putting CBs through it occassionally.
Get the CB longs instead.... They are good stuff in my old 9422.

· Registered
769 Posts
A couple quick points. First of all feral cats are best shot with a compound bow with broadheads. Cats are VERY hard to kill and a wounded one with a bullet in it is a really bad idea and can end up in the newspapers under the title "Pet Sniper Sought". This is terrible for our sport. The 55-60 lb compound bow with broadhead arrows will secure the feral cat and prevent newspaper headlines toxic to our sport. My other point is is if you plan to shoot CB Shorts thru your 9422 I would buy an older one stamped S,L and LR. The cartridge carrier is apt to be designed different to accomodate all three. Often times when a gun maker specifies LR ammo only the carrier has been altered so shorts and longs will not feed properly.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wil the 9422 Shoot .22 Shorts - Thanks!

I thank you all for you responses. It seemed starnge that it wouldn't, but newer models I've looked at made no mention of shooting the shorts. I'm keeping my eyes open for a decent older model.

· Registered
5,438 Posts
My newer 94/22 that isn't marked for shorts will cycle them just fine, as good as my older rifles.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.