Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses,probably be best to use in it what it was designed for .22 Mags. I have a big old barn on an acerage and been shooting birds in it with these bird shot. My son calls it a poor mans bird hunting. Thanks gn luver

·
Registered
7,362 Posts
Years ago they thought shooting shot would wear out the rifling. I agree with the other responses, that for sure some won't hurt and since lead is quite a bit softer than the barrel it isn't going to wear much at all. The other thing is that in the "old days", there weren't the cleaning supplies that are available today. I would think a good scrubbing with a nylon bore brush and a good lead solvent once in a while and you'll be fine. I beleive what used to happen was more lead build up than rifling wear.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Re: Shotshell ammo in rimfires

gn luver,

Hello. Here's what CCI says about their shotshell ammo in rimfires:

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/default.asp?menu=1&s1=3&pg=18&prod_id=9

By the way, other than a rather "dirty" bore after shooting shotshell ammo in rifled rimfire barrels, I've never seen any bore damage or degradation of accuracy occur when switching back to shooting solid projectiles. (If I had a smoothbore rimfire available, however, I'd use the shotshells in it, rather than dirtying up the rifling in something else. My two cents.) Hope this helps.

Regards,

"akrimfire" :snipersmi

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.