Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm a medium to long telephoto man.. BUT..I've just about decided to take the plunge into the wide angle arena.

My photos came out alright a few days ago going at 7mm up to 23mm with a Nikon P-1000.

Nikon, Tokina and Sigma all have 10-20mm lenses that won't break the bank.
Nikon has VR the others don't.
I'll be using it on a Nikon D7500.

What to buy? It'll take some searching... I'm starting to like this!

Stairs @ 7.4mm
Leaves @ 23mm

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Back when my wife and I shot weddings I never used wide angle unless I just had to.
Back then wide angle could be slightly corrupted on the outer edge unless you could afford a zillion dollar lens.:)
I kinda miss the old film cameras.

You do have a good eye for content and framing.
Keep’em coming.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I *LOVE* wide angle, I keep a Sigma 17-35 on one of my camera bodies at all times. And that's nowhere near what a sub-10 can do (assuming 35mm equivalents). One of my favorite tricks is to use a wide angle to photograph picture shy people - they don't dream that they're actually in the picture when the camera is pointed 45 degrees away from them!

·
Premium Member
5,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I keep a 18-200 Sigma on a spare camera, that will have to do for now. Mrs. Cow has (Sigma) 17-70 on one of hers.

We bought 'em for 1/2 retail (used, excellent + condition) at KEH Camera.

I never thought I would like a wide lens but I was pleasantly surprised by last weeks photos.

:F

·
Premium Member
5,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nikon is sending me a 10-20mm lens, should have it Tues or Wed.

:D

·
Registered
53 Posts
i just upgraded to a D7500 from my D5100. i picked up their 16-80mm wide angle telephoto and i'm very pleased with it. unfortunately Nikon had discontinued this lens, but i picked up a factory refurbished which are still available.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
I have a fairly decent WA but couldn't find it when I went up to look, my daughter may have it. I think it was a 12mm F1.8.

Most of my photog was her equestrian or athletics. Spent thousands on equipment that just sits idle now. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
5,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i just upgraded to a D7500 from my D5100. i picked up their 16-80mm wide angle telephoto and i'm very pleased with it. unfortunately Nikon had discontinued this lens, but i picked up a factory refurbished which are still available.

I use a D7500, like it a lot... :t

I have a fairly decent WA but couldn't find it when I went up to look, my daughter may have it. I think it was a 12mm F1.8.

Most of my photog was her equestrian or athletics. Spent thousands on equipment that just sits idle now. :rolleyes:
Go out and take some pictures...

Digital film is cheap! Roll film is not :eek:

:F

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Go out and take some pictures...
Motivated by your pics a couple of month ago ago, I actually tried so I could show something. First time I'd picked it up in a year or more. Went to a park nearby, there was absolutely nothing interesting to shoot. Even the lake was depressing - it was private property donated to the county, with a sad looking house besides it.

No wildlife other than a random bug. No foliage other than weeds and bushes and pines.

That said, my "photos" library is on a 2nd drive as it has over 200,000 pics. My last two trips were to Italy and UK, I have over 4,000 from those two alone. I took over 500 pics of doors in Italy. :rolleyes:

Shoot.. I thought I had them on Flickr but no more, don't know why I would have removed them. Anyway, what I do have is here https://www.flickr.com/photos/eflyguy/albums

·
Premium Member
5,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
welcome,

fwiw, to me, it will depend on what you want to do with your photos/cameras

i use my PnS camera to take gun photos to sell online and for my travels.

For my guns, its nice to have a somewhat wide angle but also macro.

For my travels, wide to tele is needed and maybe some macro. sometimes my wide is not wide enough and same for the tele.

and my last comment...there is an old saying....

"its better to have and not need, then to need and not have".

some people figure that out sooner and some later and some never at all. But you can also look at how far you made it without one too.

·
Premium Member
5,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I went to a close-in park to try out the 10-20mm lens.

The lens did good.

I think I'll keep it... :D

Attachments

·
Registered
510 Posts
I keep a 18-200 Sigma on a spare camera, that will have to do for now. Mrs. Cow has (Sigma) 17-70 on one of hers.
I'm a fan of those lenses as well. They live in my D7500 bag.

The Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM (C) is a faster alternative to Nikon's 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR kit lens and has a bit more reach. The Sigma 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM (C) is my alternative to Nikon's very good 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR lens. I use it as my general purpose/walking around lens on the D7500.

When it comes to wide angle lenses, I've been quite happy with the Nikon AF-P DX 10-20mm f/4.5-5.6G VR. I don't shoot a lot of landscape stuff but it's my go to lens when I do.

·
Premium Member
5,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've got another, came in yesterday.

A Sigma 105mm f2.8 macro (prime) Nikon mount.

Initial shakedown shows this to be sharp...

I think I'll keep this one too.. :t

:D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts