Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
I would imagine that it is down to cost; the sums needed to design and build a rifle capable of competing with Anschutz, walther, FWB, Bleiker etc. would be enormous. These require a lot of handfitting, and that means time and money, things beancounters dislike.

The best that one might hope for is a barrel/action which could be used with any of the popular factory or custom stocks.

How much of the cost is profit, and how many would sell? The european makers have had the market to themselves for twenty years, so it would take a lot to shift shooters (especially the top internationals) from them.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
It would be nice to see someone in the US jump into the game. Lots of guys building custom actions but noone seems to be willing to do the stock work. There are a lot of parts and misc. hardware in the stocks and that is where we seem to have noone.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you are correct, tim.

the accountants would never approve.

look at the half-arsed attempt remington just put forth with the 504...what a shame.

still, my blood runs red, white and blue. as much as i love my 1907/2213 i would trade it off in a heartbeat for a winchester match rifle of equal quality. there's no great secret to what the germans do. they use as much cnc equipment as the next guy does (true tool & die makers have also gone the way of the dinosaur in so far as any real numbers go in ANY country on the planet). their efforts could be replicated by any expirienced firearm manufacturer that simply showed an interest. that, however, is very unlikely to happen.

redfield...vavor...lyman...the great american makers...they all seem to have gone the way of the dinosaur.

the rise of the german match rifle builders was long before NAFTA and GAT, but sure looks like a classic example of early overseas outsourcing. remember the half-anshutz rifles that savage used to sell?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.