Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts
I agree with GaryO

I had a Burris 4-12X compact target on a .22 Silhouette rifle. The reticle became loose during a match, no big deal. Sent it back to Burris, now they take too long to get it back,(maybe 6 weeks). I'll Stick with Leupold, Bushnell 4200 and my Muellers thanks

Because they have been shown to be more problematic than the competition. Service has not been that great either...
I have had my Burris Signature 8-32X Rimfire/airifle scope on my Walther match rifle and I have had zero problems with it. I also sent it back to Burris for a cleaning and "general going-over" before flying to a big match and the service was first rate. I sent it in over the Christmas and New Years Holiday and I still had it back in 3 weeks. And that was with the holidays, their plant inventory, and crippling snow storms that lasted for over a week.

I would buy another Burris in a second--if I had the money.:) :t

While I use alot of scopes that have gold rings on them, I do have/had a few Burris products. I think their rings, especially the Signature line are as good or better than anyone's. Compared to Leupold, their service isn't in the same league. I sent a Burris scope in a few years ago because the zero wouldn't hold. We spent several weeks back and forth because they only wanted to credit me for my scope and sell me a new one; they finally repaired it, but the whole thing took 6 weeks. In January, I sent a 4X12 Compact rimfire scope in to have the reticle replaced; the crosshairs were somehow made wrong- the narrow part of the duplex was wider on one side than the other. It got back in about 3 weeks, but now the reticle is twisted and doesn't line up with the turrets like it should. So, the next scope I buy will most likely have a gold ring on it.

My experience with Leupold is a few shots through ones owned by other people. They seemed nice but I never want to spend that much. Their low end seems like you give up a lot - 1/2 MOA friction adjustments. I'm sure they are nice scopes, I just question the value.

I have broken a Tasco "world class" and a Simmons "44 Mag" on my 30-06 hunting rifle (~8 lbs all up). I currently wears a Burris Fullfield II 3x9x40 with Ballistic plex. I did not realize when I got it that the ballistic plex only works at 9X but that makes sense if you think about it. If it is far enough to worry about, I should have time to use 9X. My one Burris is noticably clearer than the Tasco it replaced or the second Simmons they sent me when the first one broke. The first 44 mag was quite clear, equivalent to a buddies Leupold (we tried them both on a test chart at the range).

I have a Mueller APV on my 22 and it is more clear at short range than the Burris but not by much. It could be the fact that the Mueller has AO and the Burris does not, however. I think both scopes are good values and neither has given me real trouble. Both seemed to hessitate a bit on adjustments at first but both seem to move more reliably now that they've been moved a little. Both hold adjustment from 1 range session to the next.

Jim

Looks like dumping to me...

Im not knocking Nikon, I have owned a few over the years and currently own one and it has been a great hunting scope, and Ive never had any problems out of it. The thing that gets me with Nikon is that they dont fix them, they replace them. They then send all the bad ones back to the factory to be refurbished and sent back to the US to be resold. Now Im not saying thats a bad thing, but if you look around you will find alot of the refurbished Nikon scopes on the market for sale. Now that makes me wonder why they have that many refurbished scopes to sell?
They are coming out with "new" higher price Monarch series. I wonder if all of these refurbished scopes we're seeing lately are not just new scopes being dumped with poor warranties to limit their liabilities for any problems. It makes them "throw away" which doesn't make me want to buy one.

EJ

Eye relief

Only real gripe I have with Burris is the critical eye relief. At first I didn't feel it was a big issue, but after using it in a PD town I hated it. I did use the Pentax 4.5x14 which is supposed to be a Fullfield II with Pentax glass. I liked it alot for clarity and maintaining POI but when comparing it to a Fullfield II in the same magnification it was like looking through 2 different scopes. Clarity was hard to distinguish a difference, but that eye relief issue reared it's ugly head again with the Burris and made the Pentax a lot easier to use. Both were made in the Phillipines.

I have always liked Burris scopes..........I just don't own any. I happen to have a couple of Weaver V-24's, 3 Leupolds and couldn't pass up the deals on the discontiued Nikon Monarch. I like them but other scopes seem to have features I like better and also I seem to lead toward the aesthetics of the 'other' scopes. I may own a Burris someday, but up until now I have given the slight edge to other manufacturers in that price range.

Burris has plenty of fans.

I have several Burris Fulfield 3x9 scopes on rifles and those scope and rifle combinations have put a lot of meat in the freezer and mounts on the wall.

Dollar for dollar, Burris makes a good product.

Im not knocking Nikon, I have owned a few over the years and currently own one and it has been a great hunting scope, and Ive never had any problems out of it. The thing that gets me with Nikon is that they dont fix them, they replace them. They then send all the bad ones back to the factory to be refurbished and sent back to the US to be resold. Now Im not saying thats a bad thing, but if you look around you will find alot of the refurbished Nikon scopes on the market for sale. Now that makes me wonder why they have that many refurbished scopes to sell?
They have been out of scope business or sometime. Probably why only refurb units for sale.

My “last” Burris scope came new in the box with reticle turned appx 10 degrees out of alignment with the adjustment knobs. It was quite noticeable so I sent back so it could be repaired. They returned it, unchanged, with a note from the repair technician saying it was in specifications. I sold it.

I have 3 Burris scopes. I have purchased a few Leupolds but only because whoever wanted them mounted up. I put a 2-7×32 on a cz 527 7.62x39. Zeroed it seemed pretty nice. The fullfield 2s I like very much for the money. The 4-14×42 droptine was a disappointment. Initially I found the glass to be pretty clear but at the range very low power. Now that I've experienced the meoptas they are superior and much more economical than for instance a vx3. They are awfully proud of those Leupolds. Whatever floats your boat but generally I think Burris is under rated. They make nice optics. My 2 cents.

I've had issues with 2 top of the line Burris scopes. 1st was a Signature 6 x 24 fine plex (quit tracking), 2nd was a 6 x 24 Black Diamond (quit tracking). called for info on sending them in and was told We don't make that model anymore, but you can pay XXX$ to get the newer model or we'll send you Fullfield for free ......WHAT ????. I paid just over $900 shipped for the Black Diamond and they wanted me to pay $800 and change for an XTR.....NO,,, Burris can keep their LIFETIME WARRANTY and their scopes.
These scopes did not quit at the same time. There was about 3-4 years between the scopes quitting tracking.. The response except for amount of money was the same.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.