Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Slamfires...........

gunguy,

The "Bentz" chamber is the 'match' chamber for .22 LR autoloading firearms, and as such, it is tighter than the standard "Sporting" chamber usually found on these rifles....! ! :eek:

As has been stated, the "Stinger" case is ~ 0.10" longer than the standard .22 LR case, and may not completely chamber in a "Bentz" chambered barrel; as the bolt slams closed on this partially chambered rimfire round, if the bolt hits the rim, it could fire the round "out-of-battery", causing a slamfire.....! ! :eek: :(

This usually results in bits and pieces of the brass "Stinger" case [shrapnel] being ejected at Mach 2 from the ejection port, along with the steel extractor from the bolt....! ! :eek: :(

Anything in its path is subject to severe injury, including the shooter's hand, any bystander, or anything else on the right side of the rifle.....! ! :eek:

Do not shoot "Stingers" in a "Bentz" chambered barrel.....! ! :1t :1t

`

BigMike

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tested for myself

I chambered a stinger in my rifle again to see if it would stick, and it did. I thought i would clarify the stinger issue for others because there is so many conflicting opinions that it will damage the chamber of the barrel. I dont think that the danger of shooting stingers from a match chamber is that your gun will be damaged as much as the danger of injuring your self. If anyone has caused damage to their gun from doing this, what is it that has happened? Im just curious. And i am glad i was quickly informed not to use stingers befor i made a stupid mistake.

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Stingers

gunguy,

Damage to a Bentz chambered 10/22 due to the use of "Stingers":
1. Erosion of the leade due to the longer case, resulting in a decrease in accuracy over time.
2. Possible damage to the bolt should a round "slamfire" and blow-off the extractor, and possible chipping or cracking of the extractor cut on the bolt face.

However, the primary reason not to fire 'Stingers" is the risk of personal injury to yourself or bystanders due to a "slamfire" and the resulting 'shrapnel' from the exploding case.....! ! :eek: :1t :1t

`

BigMike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.