Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Excerpt from the NRA's "American Rifleman" magazine (Feb. 2003)

"from the editor" (talking about the surprising success of the .17hmr and all the new .17HMR guns being introduced in 2003)

Quite a few makers have specifically added youth models in .17HMR as its lack of recoil and astounding accuracy make a great combination for beginners.

One veteran manufacturer even suggested that, one day in the near future, many youngsters will be introduced to the shooting sports via the .17HMR as opposed the venerable .22 Long Rifle.

[end quote]

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
The 17 is a good thing, and it's different which makes people want to try it--and it gives the gun companies work. and the buyers of guns something to enjoy--which is something we need. A win/win thing, so to speak. The 17 fills a niche--less penetration specifically. The good 22 Mags. are as accurate with some good ammo. At first I think everyone was wondering if it'd be around a couple of years--at least I was wondering if the ammo would be available and not go extinct like the 5MM Remington did. That was a good round also--if only some of the good rifles had been chambered for it the round would probably have survived. The great thing about the 17 is that all of the companies that are producing rifles so chambered. The accuracy is to be attributed to Hornady--the load great ammo. That fact alone should guarantee the ammo stay available. I'd feel better if more companies were making ammo!!! I can't see it ever replacing the .22 LR anyway--they are two different animals--much like the 22LR and the 22Mag., both great, both survive because of it! I agree on the 17's bullets blowing around like leaves in 20 MPH gusting cross winds. I imagine that they are accurate if you shoot without wind. Besides, maybe the gun companies can make enough off making the .17's to stay in business and keep making .22LR's. The .22's are quieter and they'll be here when we are all gone. If I remember correctly, the .308 was supposed to the the replacement for ALL .30 calibers too. I cheer on all of the guys with their .17's. The .17 has created a lot of new interest in shooting a different caliber- as shooters we need people to keep shooting!! It'll never replace the .22 though--like I said it's a different animal. It works because it IS NOT like anthing else out there!! Marketing. P.S.--If they had put this thing on a Hornet case with a 30 grain bullet--then I'd buy one too!!!

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Sounds like they can hear the advertising dollars ring up.

The "veteran manufacturer" wouldn't be Hornady :)

Unmitigated BS.

I suppose tremendous recoil of the .22 LR has driven many from the sport.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Don't see it happening.
There are wayyy too many 22lr guns out there and the ammo's tooo cheap..
Now if a company starts making bulk packed 17ammo for $10 for 500 or so... MAYBE...
Paul

·
Registered
22,250 Posts
Chief says :

The "STAGE is SET "
The " SHOW has began"
The "Admission Will Not Go Down"
The " Show Must Go On "

If one considers the price of a box of 22 magnums , compared
to a box of 17hms theres only a small difference.
Comparing either to a box of Long Rifle ammo , theres a sizable
difference.
The cost difference = about 8 to 1
Meaning you can shoot 50 Rounds from a 17HMR or 400 Rounds
from a 22 Long Rifle accordingly.
Now , we all know what choice would be picked most of the time.

The 17hmr was not manufactured with the average , everyday
shooter in mind, as seen in the price of the ammo.
No. The 17hmr is sought after by shooters wanting something
new,different,faster, and are willing to spend huge amounts of
money to keep having their new toys.

As many of you know , I was shooting (testing) the 17 HMR , long
before it ever hit the market. Thus giving me a head start on the
long term evaluation of the caliber.
Today , my views have NOT changed a bit . It is a great development in the rimfire world. But not an ultimate answer to
replacing another rimfire caliber . a BRIDGE between smallbore
to centerfire ,maybe.
Great medicine for the prariedog shooter. Saving only the sore
shoulder at the same cost of his reloads for centerfire.

The Stage = 17 HMR - The Show = Manufacturers guns
The Admission = Stable "same ole" prices of ammo
The Show goes on = More buyers - no discounts , or theres no
SHOW !

my 17 cents worth - Intermission - time to shoot !
CHIEFDAVE

·
Registered
962 Posts
Gunrag Hype!

The hummer fills a nitch very nicely...But replace the .22RF?:confused:
Anyone making a comment that delusional is either ignorent, or under the influence of mind altering substances - or both!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
630 Posts
From what I understand, there were a couple of hurdles, that Hornady had to get over to produce the hummer. I'd bet, that they picked up more than a little knowhow, and if they put that knowhow to use, the .22lr bench world would no doubt be very very excited.

Am I wrong here Chief? Think CCI, or even Hornady, will soon offer a Match ammo?

.22LR Obselete, not a chance. Can it benefit? I think so.

·
Registered
8 Posts
.17 in the wind

I don't think the .17 will ever replace the .22, but I do want to address some of the comments about it blowing like leaves in the wind.

I just got a Ruger 77/17, and Friday was the first day I could shoot it. It was a very windy day here (I'm guessing 15-20 MPH, but I couldn't find the weather history to verify). It shot 1-1/4" groups-5 shots at 100 yards. This was totally box stock, and shooting off of a rest, but not even with sand bags--just a jacket on top of a case of shotgun shells.

That's certainly nothing to brag about, and I won't know what the rifle or I can accomplish until I use a better rest in calm conditions. BUT, I certainly saw no evidence of it blowing around in the wind. Is this wind thing just BS, or has anyone else really seen this as a problem? Now I have no idea about the rain--any real experience there?

-Lou

·
Registered
59 Posts
I can tell you where I believe the hmr will really take hold........ The 16-20 year old age group that is REALLY into shooting will surely want to try this rifle. If this cartrige were to come out when I was that age, at least ONE of my hunting buddies would have bought one (probably me). After the rest of the guys had gotten a load of what fun it is, (if not how cool the shell looks) another 4 to 5 rifles would have sold, then 20 years later after the price of the ammo had dropped and our kids start reaching the shooting age.......viola, beginners with hummers. STILL love my 10-22 though.:t

·
Registered
22,250 Posts
The Long Rifle ain't goin' no where... neither is the Magnum.. and as to the earlier comment about the 30-30 having killed more game than all the others combined.... that may have been true for a short period of time fifty years ago (and undoubtably was), but it's a laughable statement today.

The 17 is here to stay...but it ain't gonna "displace" any other cartridge in the foreseeable future...

Ron

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Biglou--was the wind crossing or quartering, or was it a tail wind, head wind? Those are certainly good groups you were shooting for the conditions you described. Some of the physics majors out there can explain the wind/ballistics/physics thing --but light bullets are affected a lot by it--all bullets are effected by it to different degrees.

·
Registered
8 Posts
.17 in the wind

Kent-- It was very gusty and absolutely a cross wind--I couldn't imagine worse conditions. I thought I had read somewhere that this bullet was supposed to be pretty good against the wind--and that was my experience. I know it's very light, but I would think that the design as far as cross area and such could make a big difference. The bottom line for me is I wouldn't have expected to shoot any better under the conditions with no wind, so I'm assuming the wind didn't affect it much. Also, the group spread was as much vertical as it was horizontal.

--Lou

·
Registered
271 Posts
Yer funny Ski!!

rilin' up ever body like that!!!!

No....emphatically.... the .17HMR will NEVER replace the .22LR.
the basic reason is the price as everyone has stated.
IF the 17 had been introduced in exactly the same way it has been ....when the WMR was introduced....it might not have the WMR as competetion today.
The straight case of the .22lr is an EVOLUTION of many many other pinfire and rimfire ammunition....it is the culmination of a LOT of experimentation and a LOT of failures.
(Anyone here have a 50 or 52 caliber rimfire???? they just don't exist anymore.)
After all that evolution we have a simple case design that is inherently easy to manufacture...making for the greatest marketing tool ever...low price. I'd be willing to bet the BULLET in the .17HMR is more complicated to manufacture than the entire cartridge of the .22LR.
The .17HMR is a great round, but as good as it is, it is likely to go through some changes as it ages...but it will never replace the .22 Long Rifle

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.