Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sometime down the line I would like to set up my 10/22 for shooting off a bench .Who makes a good stock for this?Alot of the stocks appear to be kind of multi-use for both offhand and bench but do they really work well off a rest.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
that is a very vague question. there are about 100 different stocks that will do that.

youve got:
thumbhole-style stocks like the Yukon/Blaster/Fajen (not sure the name of thiers)
anschutz-style stocks, bell and carlson makes my favorite of these.
richards microfit has a bunch of crazy looking bechrest stocks.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Correct me if I am wrong but except for the Richards Microfit alot of those stocks appear to be more for Silhouette or offhand shooting.I figured that a benchrest stock would have a flat fore end.Do the Yukon and Blaster styles work well off a bench?I will be using a Caldwell Rock BR for a front rest.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
i say that the work well off of a bench because of the design of thier grips. a vertical grip is better for a bench than a classic bent-wrist type grip.

i guess it depends on what you are resting the rifle on. i use sandbags- and they will contour to almost anything. if you are using the caldwell you shouldnt have a problem with the shape of the fore-end. get a good bunny ear bag and you will be good to go. :t

i need to get one of the Caldwell rests...... :D

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I got mine for free!!It is missing some hardware but what I can not get at the hardware store I can make at work.I will probably just get a front bag for it and foget about it.The hardware that is missing is for the original 3 lobe bag.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Serious Benchrest?

Go with any stock maker that is used by .22 benchresters. Do a google and see what stocks are being used. They are NOT wood.

My hunter BR stock with molded in colors (saves $ as not need a custom paint job) and bedding by TM Stockworks ran about $600 plus about 10 or 12 years ago.

If I wanted to duplicate the work and stock now, I would figure a 12 month wait with them having my barreled action to bed. It could be longer or maybe shorter. Mike

·
Registered
68 Posts
mac57t said:
Correct me if I am wrong but except for the Richards Microfit alot of those stocks appear to be more for Silhouette or offhand shooting.I figured that a benchrest stock would have a flat fore end.Do the Yukon and Blaster styles work well off a bench?I will be using a Caldwell Rock BR for a front rest.
Richards Microfit does make Benchrest style stocks, I have a thumb hole benchrest stock from them in electric blue lamininate. It has a three inch forend & the bottom to the rear of the stock is flat & parralell with the forend. I ordered by phone & don't remember ordering the thumb hole style, I don't see the need for a thumb hole stock in benchrest. They make several different versions. They arrive needing work but not as much as I feared. With shipping & a butt pad mine cost just a little over $200.

Bushwack

·
Registered
438 Posts
part_time said:
Yes they work nicely off a rest, because of the wide forend and the weight of a heavy barrel really make a steady setup.
:confused: Makes me think you've never even held one of those stocks, or you wouldn't be giving out 'advice' like that. The silhouette styles are terrible for bench work. Sure anything can be proped up on a bench, but they are not designed for it.

Check out Richard's custom rifles, Don Stith, McMillan, etc. to get an idea of the basic benchrest design folks use. If I HAD to order right now, it'd be McMillan because of the fiberglass.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is why I started this thread.I am somewhat new to this but I kept seeing guys using offhand stocks for shooting off a bench and could not figure out why.Do not get me wrong these stocks look great but I can not see them working very well with the amount they drop at the butt end.Thanks for all the info.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Yes I know, dedicated BR stocks are almost the same level from forend to butt....But still a blaster type will work "well"...he didn't ask what was the best for BR or which one would win him an Olympic gold medal....

Maybe its like my Grandpa said:
"A man can get use to just about anything"

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
It is going to be a while...

Yup, and I haven't even ordered mine yet. Jim, you got me, wrong picture, I am ordering the "flat oval forearm" too. Here is a picture:

There is also something they are calling a "tactical" forearm:

It took me a while to decide on which stock I wanted. I must have looked at several hundred pictures...many near clones of each other. This one is a bit of a compromise between a benchrester and a hunter for me. I have always liked pistol grips but never had a thumbhole of my own. That, and well, frankly I like the lines of it. So someday I will see if it feels as good as it looks.

Oh, dang, I called about the drop, too. Exact same as the Ruger one. I am used to that and it convinced me as well.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I just put a Fajen Silhouette stock on my 10/22 and it is a nightmare to shoot off the bench (at least with my setup). The only bench work I do is sighting in. I bought the stock for shooting NRA Sporter Rifle matches & it works great for that. FWIW
Gene :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.