Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
The first day out with my new 597 was a disappointment. Lot's of jams, FTF etc. etc.... Then, I found this forum!...The gunshop sold me a brick of Remington golden bullets with my rifle purchase and the rifle simply doesn't like them.... I shot a hundred mini-mags today with no problems.. Just to double check, I loaded the magazine with some of the golden bullets and on the 3rd round, it jammed.. On the 7th round I had a FTF.... For the money, I think it's a nice little .22 and if you keep it clean (especially the magazine) and find ammo that it likes, it's a good shooter.. I'm not good enough of a shot to know if this rifle is accurate or not but it seems so to me.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I prefer mine over my 10/22. The Ruger just seems so wiggly in the stock and the bolt clangs around when operating. However, it is a very handsome rifle. It's just easier to pull out the 597 when it's time for some plinkin'.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wow, I thought that people would say that it doent match up to a 10/22 or somthing else. At first I didn't like my 597 because it jammed like my dads TNZ(Ruger 10/22)because of its match chamber, so it wouldent eat little bulk ammo, like mine.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I like my 597 very much. Even though it's the old version with straight ejector, it has not failed me. I added VQ hammer to ease up the trigger pull and a trigger shoe to make it even lighter. I don't have a scale but the trigger is really light at around 1.5 pounds.

Here is the report on my 597 and what it likes.

PMC Zappers HP- no problem. Good accuracy.

Federal American Eagle-no problem

CCI Velocitors-no problem

CCI MiniMags-no problem

CCI CB's-no problem, and pretty quiet but will not cycle the action

Winchester "X-pert/super" bulk- frequent jams and misfires

Winchester Wildcats 22- so far so good, only one misfire and one FTF causing jam

Remington Golden Bullets Bulk-stay away. Frequent misfires and jams

halik

·
Registered
522 Posts
The only problem I ever had with mine was the heavy trigger, a Jarvis Custom hammer took care of that.
My 597 outshoots my wifes 10/22 on a regular basis, even when we switch rifles.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ran about 700 or 800 more rounds through mine today (through 3 mags) without cleaning.

Only one failure to fire, so I'm thinking all those FTFs I experienced earlier were because I was using the remington golden bullets. I used Federal 36gr. bulk packs today and they did great, plus seemed a bit hotter than the golden duds. They might be slightly cleaner too, since my mags didn't gum up.

I'm a happy camper with my 597 now. :)

(Does it really have a heavy trigger? I don't think I've shot anything with less of a pull than my 597, so I don't really notice)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Trigger

I went to the gunstore and looked at how I could lower trigger pull, and the Volquartsn wold lower it to about 1 1/2 - 2lbs.

How much is the trigger pull without modifications?

·
Registered
522 Posts
How much is the trigger pull without modifications?
I never had it measured but one of the range officers said it was "childproof".
He figured between 8 - 10 lbs.
Now with the Jarvis hammer a bit of stoning and the trigger shoe, it's about 1 1/2 lbs and very crisp.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I read somewhere that you should be able to squeeze off a round without distorting your hand. At 8 - 10 lbs. my hand was a shaking claw. It still shot well but I didnt enjoy it at all.
If I ever decide to get a thumbhole stock it should be even nicer.
If there is a paintball shop near you, see about a trigger shoe. The 597s trigger is too thin and you feel too much pressure on one small spot of your finger tip (especially if your fingers are boney like mine).
The shoe I have is 1/2" wide (a little wider than the trigger guard) and spreads the pressure over a wider area of your finger tip making it "feel" like your trigger has a lighter pull.
The channel on the shoe that the trigger fits into has to be widened a bit, so you can get a nice fit. Two setscrews hold it in place.

·
Banned
925 Posts
I've had my 597 since 1999. Back then Remington was offering to replace triggers (hammers) which exceeded a 6 lb pull. I measured several triggers at that time with an RCBS Trigger Guage. The pulls ranged between 5.5lbs-7.5lbs. Mine was 6.0lbs. I bought a VQ Hammer and now the pull is 2.5lbs and cracker crisp!;)

·
Registered
37 Posts
ok i fired my 597 today, and i like it a lot! i dont know but the trigger pull is just fine for me, i dont notice these things i guess, i would prefer a military 2 stage trigger like on my enfield but i dont notice it much either.

i fired these .22 sniper subsonic rounds, and i dont know if you guys seen these but they are funky looking bullets! like a .22 short casing with a super long slug to make it the length of .22 lr. but it would not pick up the 2nd round when i started with 10 rounds, plus, its not quieter but luder than regular .22.

the other ones i shot were .22 long federal copper jacket, hollow point, and they were great, cycled each one and spat that round waay far!! i dont know what a .22 really should be but this one suits me just fine!!:t :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
I love my 597. After the "break-in" of course.:D I'm running a 3-9x40 Tasco and a Harris bi-pod. I regulary shoot under 2 inch groups at 125 yards and pop skeet at 150 with no problem.

But the greatest thing I enjoy is smoking my pal and his high-dollar 10/22 when we go plinking.:p :p :p

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have a real love/hate relationship with my 597!!

Straight out of box it's pretty accurate, better than 10/22.
Once I dropped in VQ hammer, big improvement , like night and day. Pretty light pull, but not a hair trigger or anything.
I have a Simmons 3-9X50 scope, does OK for target shooting.

Now for the bad stuff-----
I've had it less than a month and currently it's in a local gun shop getting fixed, for the SECOND TIME. They told they'll most likely send it back to Remington for repair. Firing pin and spring keep falling out, from the back of the bolt. I have no clue why is it happening.
First time it happened (first day shooting it), i had less than 300 rounds thru the rifle! Second time lasted thru 3 bricks of bulk Federal ammo.
Frequent misfeeds and problems extracting regardless of ammo used. I cleaned it after every single time I shot.
Went two days ago (second time it broke, same freaking problem) to buy a 10/22. So far seems like a much better rifle quality-wise. Shoot little worse than 597 though.
But I've had not even 5% of problems I had with 597.
Spent about 80 bucks on some better stuff for the 10/22, new hammer and sear, new trigger, auto bolt release-- can't wait to get it all set up, see what kind of difference it makes.

If and when I get my 597 back, I'll be able to try it back-to-back with 10/22 to see which is a better shooter...

If anyone knows or has similar problem please let me know of any solutions out there!

·
Registered
17 Posts
just love my 597 lr ,just went to the store today and picked up some more ammo and been plinking all evening,bought some cci stingers and velocitors and some federal bulk , wow those stingers are awesome !only complaint is the trigger it is to heavy but hope to remedy that soon!mine has the metal magazine and the moosy oak break up camo on it , hope to get a harris bipod and swift scope soon !:D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.