Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a NIB 10/22 in Mossy Oak Camo. I will try to resist any "upgrades" since it is totally camo, and many accessories will be hard to match. I did order a TKO buffer, and will probably change the hammer to a VQ or Power Custom. I might also add an extended mag release. (This one still has the alloy trigger group and bbl. band, btw)

I like the light, handiness of the little guy. I am resisting the urge to put Tech Sights or XS sights on it. I flipped the rear blade over to the square notch as with my astigmatism I can see it and the front better at the same time with a little light on each side showing through. Anyone else happy with the factory irons on their carbine?

· Registered
20,842 Posts
I did not know those factory thingies were for sighting :eek:
I use them allright...Tomato stakes..keeps the string from sliding down:D

· Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I got to put some rounds through the carbine today, and while it performed well, I can definately say the sights will get changed. The brass bead washes out easily in different light, and I have to really crank my head down to get a good sight picture. I may try the XS sights on it. I have shot a couple of lever guns with them and like them a great deal. I really like the Tech Sights, but they seem pretty LARGE on top of that skinny little rifle.

· Registered
119 Posts
i was forced to learn on these iron sights before i was alowed to get my scope (more of a bet between friends) but once i got used to them i felt pretty confident plinking all kinds of stuff at 50 yards and as i put in another post my scopes gone the way of the dodo so i may reaquaint myself with those stock irons once more
the same friend had replaced his with some M16 styled sights the ones that mount in the dove on the barrel and reciever taps and those are pretty good but give me my scope anyday

· Registered
307 Posts
I've used a lot of open sights, but the first time I looked down the barrel of a stock 10/22 I laughed out loud. What a SORRY excuse for sights! They are something you would expect on a $50 stamped steel air rifle. I know this is a cheap gun, but those sights are a joke.

Put a decent aftermarket set on, or a red dot or holo sight and enjoy your 10/22...

John Davies
Spokane WA

· Registered
456 Posts
yeah i got i got one on my 10/22. there are from the mini-14. get them from numrich. the ones they have have a better peep. i like ghost ring for every rifle i own that has irons....

· Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Booner, thanks for the link. I just ordered one to try out. With my eyesight, the trouble I was having was getting the bead lined up correctly in the rear sight to get some decent groups. The aperture blade should fit the bill nicely. I have owned probably a half a dozen 10/22s over the last 25 years, but I have scoped them all. All of my CZs wear scopes as well. I bought this carbine to have a handy go to rifle to dispatch opposums, woodchucks, *****, feral cats, etc., and wanted to keep some iron sights on it to remain simple. I painted the brass bead on the front with some day glo orange, and that helps a bunch. I will give a report when the sight blade comes in and I try it out. $15 seems a lot more reasonable than $65 for the XS sights I was going to order. :bthumb:

· Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, it seems the one I bought on ebay has a larger diameter peep. Maybe the guy drills them out larger. Does that $13 include shipping? Then I would have to drill the hole out larger and cold blue touch up. Not a big deal, but for $15 shipped and ready to drop on my rear sight, I'm not going to complain. The $55 I saved over the XS sights shipped will buy a few bricks of ammo.:D :Blasting_

· Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I would think a smaller peep that sits down midway on the rifle would be hard to use as it would cover up too much of the target. I had some Brook's peep sight blades on my CZs, and the ones with the smaller holes were hard to use and covered up too much of what I was trying to see. A peep that is closer to your eye would benefit from the smaller peep accuracy wise, I agree.

If I like this sight, I may get one of the complete units you showed for $13 and experiment with drilling different sizes in the peep to see which works best for me.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.