Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a few threads on this, but let's ask again:

Who has bedded their 93R17 and has seen groups change because of it (good or bad)?

How did you do your bedding?

·
Registered
973 Posts
I have.

I used an Acraglass gel kit from Brownells to bed my 93R17FV.

Prior to bedding I had a lot of vertical stringing. 5 shot groups were about 1/4" wide and 1 1/2" to 2" tall.

After bedding it shoots fairly symetrical groups of abotu 3/4" at 100 yards.

·
Registered
22,250 Posts
VAFish -

Which posts did you bed? The ones the takedown screws fit into or the "pillars"? Or all of them?

Did you have to prepare the composite stock in any way to get it to accept the Acra-glas?

Did you by any chance take any pictures?

I'm likely going to end up bedding my 93FSS in .22 Mag just 'cuz I like to do it! But I've never done it to a Savage before or to a composite stock.

Thanks!
me!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm curious as well, as the 93 doesn't seem to be well suited to bedding without some additional work. For example, one of the stock screws goes straight into wood and the recoil lug has upward pressure on it.

It seems as if it really needs a new set of pillars glassed into the stock as well, but I'm no expert.

·
Registered
973 Posts
me! said:
VAFish -

Which posts did you bed? The ones the takedown screws fit into or the "pillars"? Or all of them?

Did you have to prepare the composite stock in any way to get it to accept the Acra-glas?

Did you by any chance take any pictures?

I'm likely going to end up bedding my 93FSS in .22 Mag just 'cuz I like to do it! But I've never done it to a Savage before or to a composite stock.

Thanks!
me!
Bedded both take down screws and the recoil lug at the front of the action.

Had to drill holes and make under cuts the Acraglass Gel did no adhere to the stock.

Yes, I did take pictures, but the only one that turned out well is the one with the clay blocks in place as I was prepping the stock. I have it on Image Station which doesn't allow linking from web sites. Cut the following URL and past it into a new browser window.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=4287376361&idx=2

If that doesn't work I can e-mail it to you.

·
Registered
22,250 Posts
VAFish -

For some reason, I can't get to the picture even pasting the address into the browser. Yes! Please e-mail it to me: [email protected]

MJB -

Even with a new stock, I'd end up glass bedding it! A new stock would require additional work anyway. And, actually, I kinda like the composite stock that comes with the 93FSS! It's quite light and was easy to cut to 12 3/4" LOP for my short arms!

me!

·
Registered
107 Posts
There is a thread, either here or on SavageShooters.com, where a guy posted pictures of the step by step pillars and glass bedding of a plastic stock. He did a really good job and is very explanatory of the process. He installed pillars on both action screws and installed a tie section under the center of the action.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Thanks CTinNV!

That's my stock with the clay blocks in place. I drilled the inside of the stock in several places and used a dremel tool to create mechanical under cuts for the Acraglass to flow into. You can see one of my mistakes where I drilled a little too deep above the rear action screw, it went all the way through the stock. But I used the black dye that came with the Acraglass kit and you can barely notice it now.

Follow Acraglass's instructions and use lots of release agent on the places you don't want the epoxy sticking.

·
Registered
22,250 Posts
VaFish said:
You can see one of my mistakes where I drilled a little too deep above the rear action screw, it went all the way through the stock. But I used the black dye that came with the Acraglass kit and you can barely notice it now.QUOTE]

What's a home gunsmithing job without a mistake or two? :D

VAFish, did you fill in with Acraglass all the way up to the action or did you just establish a firm base for the screws and pillars?

Thanks to both VA and NV for the great picture!

me!

·
Registered
973 Posts
The front action screw received more of the epoxy than the rear. It's filled most of the way up creating a cylindrical hole in the epoxy that the stud fits very snugly into. The rear action screw didn't get as much epoxy it created a firm base for the pillar and screw, only a slight indentation.

That wasn't by any great design or anything. I started ouring in the bedding compound at the recoil lug area, then the front screw, and the rear screw got what was left. I was also afraid of getting too much around the rear screw and getting some in the chamber or trigger areas. (trigger and bolt were removed)

The action fits very very snugly into the stock now. If I get a chance I'll pop it out of the stock and take another picture.

Me! said:
What's a home gunsmithing job without a mistake or two?
That wasn't the only mistake I made on the bedding job. I was also afraid of gluing the action screws in place so I had the bright idea of just clamping the action in place. I some how got the action about 1/8" to far forward. I had to re-drill the action screw holes and dremel out the slots for the magazine and the bolt handle.

The end result helped the accuray a lot and got rid of the verticle stringing. But it's not perfect and I don't think I have a shining future as a gunsmith yet.

The only reason I tackled the job int he first place was because of the accuracy problems and I hated the stock, I figured it was worth it to practice on.

·
Registered
22,250 Posts
About the only thing I like about this stock is that it is light.....

I've glass bedded 4 Ruger 10/22's (3 were my own), a couple of Ruger m-77's, a Winchester 70 and a Remington Model Seven. All were wooden stocks; this will be my first synthetic. I am always afraid of permenantly attaching the action to the stock..... Fortunately, that hasn't happened yet..... ..."yet" :rolleyes: ..... Unfurtunately, that is about the only mistake I haven't made! :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.