Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Whitney Wolverine

1896 Views 26 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  fn111557
I know where a nickel Whitney is, that is supposedly not for sale. It appears to be in great shape and complete, except no firing pin.
I was thinking of offering the guy $500 cash, and see what happens.
Anyone have ideas about getting a firing pin?
I checked numrich, and they were sold out.

Russell
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

· Registered
1,058 Posts
First make sure it's a nickel finish, check the serial numbers as listed in post above. I seen a guy re-finish one to "Bright Finish" as it was called. He stripped all the blue finish off and buff it up to a shine. It looks great and can look like nickel but is not. I asked him about it and he told the truth so that was good. It was better than the blue finish look but not the orginal nickel factory one which are very collectable. :D
This guy i think buy used bad looking blue finished(non-collectable but shootable) and re-finishes them to artwork still not nickel but very nice!

· Registered
9,420 Posts
Always thought they look really slick

I hope this post does not die. I always thought those pistols looked really slick but never knew anybody that had one.

I really would be interested on how they shoot if you get one or from anyone else that might have one and shoot it that is posting to this thread.

Not so much "X" inch groups at whatever but if they are robust, finicky on ammo and stuff like that.

noremf(George)

· Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I hope this post does not die. I always thought those pistols looked really slick but never knew anybody that had one.

I really would be interested on how they shoot if you get one or from anyone else that might have one and shoot it that is posting to this thread.

Not so much "X" inch groups at whatever but if they are robust, finicky on ammo and stuff like that.

noremf(George)
He said that he had ordered a firing pin from olympic, but it was on back order for 4 to 6 months. And he also said that he would let me shoot it,
Russell

· Registered
1,058 Posts
I would feel funny shooting a collector item like that one. The nickel finish is very rare. I would elect to buy a blue finish used one so the value isn't hurt and being shot already can't hurt what was already done.
Be careful not to drop the hammer on a empty chamber, they had an issue of chipping the top of the slide. I have seen one with a "V" chuck missing cause the hammer dropped, look really bad as far as a collector item which it isn't now and what made it worse it was a nickel finish one, opps!:eek:
If it has already been shot just be careful as not many are out there anymore with a good nickel finish.

· Registered
6 Posts
An elderly family member just had to have an Olympic Wolverine when they first came out as she had seen one in the old days and thought they were cool. The early Olympic Wolverines were nonfunctional and had to go back to the factory for changes including magazines. The factory modified one seems ok and the current version is probably ok. I just can't get over that they sold the early versions that were nonfunctional and it has made me cool to Olympic Arms. Made in USA does not always mean quality.

· Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
range report

Finally got to shoot it today, and I am very pleased , it is very accurate. I had a Ruger MK II with me as well, and I am used to shooting it, but I was doing better with the Wolverine.
Even my wife was getting closer to the bullseye than she normally does.
The only issue it gave me was you have to get the clip in just right for it to feed, otherwise it will not feed, and it seemed easier to load with 9, instead of 10 shells.

I may have to find my wife one in pink, she actually commented on the way home how light and smooth it was.

Russell

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.