Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

white high-light lettering

319 5
how do all you coolectors get the white lettering on your blued hardware...I gotta have it! (just like those white-walls for cruisin' the miracle mile).

Jeff518
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
The one time I did it, I used a white-wash outdoor paint that I laid on thick. Then I wiped it off the blue with a damp rag while it was still wet....it turned out well and I've seen that same technique done to an antique tank control board.

·
Registered
8,906 Posts
This one is done with automotive enamel, laid in, then, after drying, wiped clean with the solvent lightly soaked into a towel and backed by an emery board. It removes the paint on the surface but leaves the paint down in the lettering. Normal paints will be dissolved quickly by your cleaning and rustproofing oils.

This one is actual gold inlay, as sold by Brownells, done in similar fashion to the above.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Thanks for that link. I hadn't seen that stuff before.

Crayola offers a similar product and they have an assortment of 96 colors! :D

http://www.crayola.com/products/list.cfm?categories=CRAYONS,BASICS

I've had good results using white plumber's pipe thread compound. Hey, it's what I had on hand at the time!

Edit: I should add that my application of these solutions was for the sole purpose of highlighting the markings and photographing each firearm for the sake of documenting my collection. In no way are these solutions intended to survive the elements or last for more than few months of use. The crayon or pipe thread compound is easily removed with a mild solvent that does no harm to the bluing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.