1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you were to choose between theese two .22's which one would you choose

Standard Ruger 10/22 with butler creek .920 target barrel blued

OR

Ruger 10/22T with target barrel already installed and laminated stock

BTW; Here in Canada it is almost impossible to order parts (beside maybe triggers and maybe stocks) from the US so i can not get a GM, lilja, shillen, ect barrel. I am limited preatty much to Butler creek, rifle basix, some volquartsen accessories (not barrels) and brownells.

Which one would be more accurate

· Registered
1,156 Posts
Truthfully if accuracy was your top concern then a bolt action would serve you better.

If it were my choice then I'd need more info like what else is on the butler creek barreled gun and what the prices were.

With only the given information I would go with the 10/22T.
If you've been around on these forums long enough you'd see evidence that Butler Creek does in fact turn out some good barrels. A long time ago Chief Dave posted a gun he put together with a Butler Creek blued bull barrel and said it was one of his most accurate guns giving groups smaller than 0.25" at 50 yards. Part of the accuracy of course has to do with other stuff Chief did to the gun, but you can't have an accurate gun without an accurate barrel.

Having said that, the 10/22T has a nice stock and a nicer trigger than a regular carbine model. It is almost guaranteed that it will shoot at least decent and will likely shoot well. It probably costs quite a bit more too...so I dunno, tough call without more info.

BTW, you can get parts if you buy them from private individuals ;)
I just mailed one man a GM stainless bull and Hogue stock. It got there in less than a week and cost only $19 to ship via USPS Airmail (I thought it was going to be much more).

· Registered
2,523 Posts
All-in-all I would agree with Fumbler.

With the restrictions you are facing on after market parts I would have to agree with Fumbler on the 10/22T.

However, I know there are a few on these forums that would argue the factory carbine internals can be customized enough by hand to match nearly any aftermarket parts. I took a short cut with my hammer but the rest of the work I did myself and am very happy with it. Shims, JB Weld, and very careful polishing was all it took.

I have a GM barrel but I have a friend with a BC barrel and it is a darn fine shooter. Bedding the action and floating the barrel should be easy enough regardless of which side of the border you are on.

Seems to me all that is really left is the optics side. Yes, I know there is more out there, but that begs the question, how much do you want to spend?

And yes, the bolt would be a better starting point for accuracy, but if it is just accuracy, I myself prefer breech actions.

· Registered
565 Posts
ordering

I live in Alberta and I bought a thumbhole stock and shaw barrel from Boyds. They will only let you buy 100.0 US at a time, but you can order from them without the hassles of going through a lot of unnecessary paperwork. Also, they may have some of their cheaper GM barrels left (the 55.00 one), they are excellent as well. You can also order from Louis at Whistlepig, a little more money, but it can be done(I have). There is also Gun Accessory Supply, they will airmail to Canada. I would check with Hawktech , he can probably send barrels as well. My problem with buying some of these parts in Canada is that shops want astronomical amounts of money for parts that are reasonable out of the US. Later.

· Registered
7 Posts
Canadian

I have found Hornet Products to be excellent for service and shipping to Canada.
It seems that no matter who you decide to deal with you will have to call direct and talk nice. Explain your situation and offer to pay a reasonable amount for thier extra headache. In any case it seems that there in reason to be held ransom by the few importers in Canada.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.